northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What exactly is the HRW-NMM? I'm assuming some sort of derivative of the NAM based on your later statement?

Yes, I'm excited for the Euro. It's been so consistent I don't see it changing all that much. 

I believe it is another high res short term model run off of NAM data, not 100% sure though

Well into the .75 - 1.00 inch range for Asheville, and all of the NC mountains make it above the .75 mark. The GFS had around .66 inches for AVL and had a very steep cutoff into the northern mountains (Madison and Haywood didn't even get .5 inches).

Sounds good for all involved.  The whole OP GFS just seemed off to me.

Can you post the map? Glad to hear it held. So now we have solid runs from the HIRES NAM, the GEFS, the CMC, and the Euro. I think we're in good shape.

Euro made everybody from Alabama to New England a big winner from this winter storm. Easily the most epic short range run of winter. Of course, totals are likely lower for few areas since Euro take ice pellets and freezing rain into snow totals.

b2cWBfU.png

Euro made everybody from Alabama to New England a big winner from this winter storm. Easily the most epic short range run of winter. Of course, totals are likely lower for few areas since Euro take ice pellets and freezing rain into snow totals.

b2cWBfU.png

That is incredible. And the totals for the mountains I would imagine would be all snow.

Lol the GFS looks horrible for WNC. So many changes so close to the event that it is laughable. Th  Euro is going to own this storm I believe. 

I don't know... still looks like we are in the .5-.75 QPF range.  GSP NWS has dropped AVL to 5.2 on their snowfall forecast, but then WPC says this...8TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW FROM AVL/GSP TO ROA/LYH/CHO AND JUST SOUTH OF

IAD/DCA WITH A POSSIBLE FOOT NEAR SWRN NC/NWRN SC. WPC CONTINUED

THE COMPROMISE OF THE GFS/ECMWF/UKMET WITH SUPPORT FROM THE SREF

MEAN FOR THE BEGINNING OF A CLASSIC EAST COAST WINTER STORM.

So........................   who knows.

And there is also this:  http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wwd/day2_psnow_gt_12.gif

I don't know... still looks like we are in the .5-.75 QPF range.  GSP NWS has dropped AVL to 5.2 on their snowfall forecast, but then WPC says this...8TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW FROM AVL/GSP TO ROA/LYH/CHO AND JUST SOUTH OF

Ya a lot up in the air. Well for me I am done model watching. Let's get this thing going. 

u would think that would be at least in the 40 percent range from all the models.  the GFS is probably an outlier but GSP is conservative on the 4-8 from all I've been taking in I would have thought they would up this to 6-12 at least.

Lol the GFS looks horrible for WNC. So many changes so close to the event that it is laughable. The  Euro is going to own this storm I believe. 

I think the Euro had this storm what 10 days ago and still seems to be right on plus the mean for AVL is 10 inches.  this will be all snow for the mtns. with no ice or sleet mixing in so I don't know what folks are looking at here.  I say lets sit back now and watch and enjoy a beautiful snowstorm and when all is said and done we'll see what the accumulations are.  heck it looks like its going to snow forever and heavy unless its the ratio thing GSP is looking at.  but then again during a storm they will keep raising the snow totals during the event.   :sled:

I was very surprised to see that for my point location in North Asheville NWS now has forecast snow totals in a range from 3 to 7 inches for the entire storm.  I haven't looked at latest GFS though - I saw the Euro and thought all was still good . . . 

Archived