amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
2nd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM is the one I have been talking about, perhaps I am wrong in looking at the models but hasnt it been consistently been giving the foothills and mountains less precip each run? And no cliff jumping here Im still all in, just thought I noticed a trend from more than an inch of QPF to around .75 or a little less lately

The NAM is the one I have been talking about, perhaps I am wrong in looking at the models but hasnt it been consistently been giving the foothills and mountains less precip each run?

It has been performing poorly all week but with the event being so close-one would think it would be starting to fix on the correct solution by this run?

The NAM is the one I have been talking about, perhaps I am wrong in looking at the models but hasnt it been consistently been giving the foothills and mountains less precip each run?

Yes, but the NAM is a useless model beyond 12 hours.  It's not worth looking at for even this event.  Again, it starts it later than all other models, and now is much much drier.  It's gone crazy!

It has been performing poorly all week but with the event being so close-one would think it would be starting to fix on the correct solution by this run?

Don't count on it.  A lot of this winter season it has been wrong even under 12 hours to go.  Note that it doesn't even have this morning's radar correctly simulated. So how can we trust the rest of its solution?  We can't.

As HurricaneTracker has posted several times, the Euro Ensembles are gold. They haven't wavered from us being plastered.

Yes, thanks.  The NAM changes its solution every 6 hours.  That's just not realistic.  Euro has been solid.  Let's see what it says at 12Z.  I'll base my final call on that run.

Yes, thanks.  The NAM changes its solution every 6 hours.  That's just not realistic.  Euro has been solid.  Let's see what it says at 12Z.  I'll base my final call on that run.

Ok I admit you might have backed me off the cliff a little bit. Ill just take the Euro and be happy. The CMC is pretty good for all of us too correct?

Well, look like NWS GSP dropped the snow totals to 6 inches now :\ Hopefully y'all are right about a foot of snow.

Btw, at least UNCA understands that the forecasting had been hard this week...

"Please continue to check your emails and the UNC Asheville homepage for any updates, since the forecasts related to this storm have been challenging for the meteorologists."

Maybe a little off topic, but I find it extremely frustrating how everyone in the main thread is living and dying by the NAM right now. HT went out of his way to tell everyone why it's the worst model to choose at this time because the initialization isn't even right, but everyone still cares so much about it.

Don't. Quite. Understand.

Maybe a little off topic, but I find it extremely frustrating how everyone in the main thread is living and dying by the NAM right now. HT went out of his way to tell everyone why it's the worst model to choose at this time because the initialization isn't even right, but everyone still cares so much about it.

Don't. Quite. Understand.

Thanks.  I posted my thoughts on the topic based on what I saw on water vapor.  I may be wrong.  But I'm no more wrong than the NAM has been.

I agree with you man - the main thread is full of NAM lovers.  You know what they say, live by the NAM, die by the NAM.

The fact that the RGEM is coming in like the Euro should say everything.  Too bad they want to toss out the RGEM! LOL

Thanks. I posted my thoughts on the topic based on what I saw on water vapor. I may be wrong. But I'm no more wrong than the NAM has been.

I agree with you man - the main thread is full of NAM lovers. You know what they say, live by the NAM, die by the NAM.

The fact that the RGEM is coming in like the Euro should say everything. Too bad they want to toss out the RGEM! LOL

Yeah, it's a shame, what was the verification on the Euro and it's ensembles? 97/100. That's enough right there. Plus it and the CMC have generally held their ground on this storm. The Euro will win this one. All of this NAM hugging is wishful thinking on their part.

Yeah, it's a shame, what was the verification on the Euro and it's ensembles? 97/100. That's enough right there. Plus it and the CMC have generally held their ground on this storm. The Euro will win this one. All of this NAM hugging is wishful thinking on their part.

Exactly.  You know, even if the Euro was showing no snow for us here in the mountains, I'd still take it over the NAM any day.  They are hoping for a NAM-like solution because it frees them of the ZR and IP threat.  Granted it's a dangerous winter storm and I understand the concerns with power issues and whatnot.  But to hug one (not-so-good) model over a verified star like the Euro because it shows the solution you want is nuts to me.

I can't wait to see the 12Z Euro.  I would be utterly shocked if it changed much over the 00Z.

Yeah, seems like there is a lot of cliff jumping in this thread right now. Everyone just needed to relax and enjoy the at least 8-12"+ that we're all gonna see in the higher elevations.

i think asheville will see 8-12 and surrounding areas not to sure if your to far north of madison county how much you will see,  kinda drops off to 4-6 northwest of asheville toward knoxville.

Dosen't a miller A normally start showing a westward trend just before the event starts.  read on another thread that it looked like the GFS and Nam were starting to inch everything west just a little.  also said a Miller A tends to start shifting west which would be a great shift for some folks more west of here.  :snowwindow:

Archived