joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, and agreed. It's bad enough when folks argue over which model to ride, but this is just pages and pages of disputing what the same model showed! It's not a good thing when all of your most vocal posters have minimal knowledge on the technical side of meteorology.

And then u have their pbp poster stating "everyone is rain" which is far from the truth. If ur gonna do pbp for the ENTIRE region then you must include all areas or not do it at all. Too much imby nonsense in there

I'm not sure... the AFD talks about some thermodynamic instability with the cold pool overhead so any squall may well produce a few minutes of S+ criteria visibilities. Who knows though. Albany suggests a quick 1-2" for some places.

I agree, this type of setup can produce heavy snow, albeit for a short duration of time. The radar to the west looks decent but but has a ways to go to get here.

A section of Upton's AFD    :shiver:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
MAIN WEATHER HAZARDS FOR TODAY WILL BE SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS
WITH ISOLATED SNOW SQUALLS THIS AFTERNOON INTO EARLY EVENING...AND
WINDS INCREASING TO 20 TO 30 MPH WINDS THIS AFTERNOON INTO EVENING
WITH GUSTS 35 TO 45 MPH BEHIND THE ARCTIC FRONT.

ARCTIC FRONT AND VIGOROUS MID-LEVEL SHORTWAVE WILL MOVE ACROSS
THE REGION LATE THIS AFTERNOON. SW FLOW AHEAD OF IT OVERUNNING A
COLD AIRMASS IN PLACE IS PRODUCING EXPANDING LIGHT RADAR RETURNS
ACROSS SOUTH/CENTRAL NJ...WHICH ARE EXPECTED TO SPREAD NE INTO
EASTERN PORTIONS OF NYC AND LI/CT THROUGH EARLY AFTERNOON WITH
FLURRIES AND SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS. WITH SOME WEAK LOW-LEVEL
INSTABILITY (CAPE VALUES CLOSE TO 100 J/KG)...MID-LEVEL LAPSE
RATES FALLING TO CLOSE TO 10 C/KM...AND EVIDENT MOISTURE...HIGH
CONFIDENCE EXISTS IN SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS ACROSS THE
REGION...WITH POTENTIAL FOR A FEW SNOW SQUALLS WITH BRIEF WHITEOUT
CONDITIONS AND A QUICK 1/2 INCH TO INCH OF SNOW ON ALL SURFACES.
OUTSIDE OF SNOW SQUALLS NOT EXPECTING MUCH IN THE WAY OF
ACCUMULATING SNOW...MAINLY JUST A DUSTING.

No need to freak out up here, we still have days and many more model cycles to work with. This is all model noise. Consider yourselves lucky that you don't live in New England on this one, that's who's really in question.

I dunno... Poughkeepsie and Kingston are about at the same latitudes as Hartford and Providence, respectively, but where the New England cities have the benefit of longitude, I'm kind of "sucked up" into the gut of the interior, lol. Having some long-range threats makes it less abysmal to the dismayed upstate weenie.

If this fringes the Mid HV and jackpots the metro area, then it will just be another example of the undeniable pattern this winter.  At this stage, I really don't care.  I feel like we had our storm 2 weeks ago when we all received close to 20+ inches. 

Whatever will be will be.. Will i get rocks thrown at me if I say that I am now keeping an eye out for rising heights and 850s at the tail-end of the ensembles in search for Spring?

I dunno... Poughkeepsie and Kingston are about at the same latitudes as Hartford and Providence, respectively, but where the New England cities have the benefit of longitude, I'm kind of "sucked up" into the gut of the interior, lol. Having some long-range threats makes it less abysmal to the dismayed upstate weenie.

Yeah you are further north but anytime they talk of a sharp cutoff to the north it potentially sucks for all of us. But like Yanks said- still a ways to go yet. Time will tell.

If this fringes the Mid HV and jackpots the metro area, then it will just be another example of the undeniable pattern this winter. At this stage, I really don't care. I feel like we had our storm 2 weeks ago when we all received close to 20+ inches.

Whatever will be will be.. Will i get rocks thrown at me if I say that I am now keeping an eye out for rising heights and 850s at the tail-end of the ensembles in search for Spring?

Yeah would be great to get one more big one- but I agree, whatever will be will be.

If there ends up being nothing else in the cards for us then no complaints- it's been a great winter regardless.

And I'm getting to that point where I'm looking forward to playing softball and watching the revamped Yakees take the field - only 8 weeks away! Weather permitting of course lol

I'll personally never tire of winter, but it looks like I'm in the increasingly small minority as we approach the equinox. Less than 40 weeks to go till December 1!

Either way, I love the weather today. Building cumulus clouds, intermittent sunshine, little bouts of tiny snowflakes, 20 to 30 mph brisk winds... top 10 day of the season if you're into wintry appeal.

Archived