joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a fantastic late winter night out there. Spent an hour skating on my rink, listening to a little Bob Marley. Perfect way to de-stress after a crazy week. Ice was just about the best it's been all winter, which is impressive considering it's essentially March and the amount of snow we've had in the past month.

As far as Monday goes, I haven't really been following along (thankfully it appears) but I wouldn't mind a few inches as my practice is opening a new location and we could use a quiet day! Looks like that might be pushing it based on the latest trends.

has to dig deep into the State College NWS for this nugget

.SHORT TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT/...
1130Z UPDATE...ALTHOUGH 06Z GFS/GEFS AND 00Z EC SUITE CONTINUES TO
FOCUS THE HEAVIEST QPF /AND SNOWFALL/ ACROSS THE SOUTHERN 2-3 LAYERS
OF COUNTIES IN PENN...THE 06Z NAM HAS INJECTED A VERY INTERESTING
TWIST TO THIS UPCOMING EVENT BY DISPLAYING A WELL-DEFINED...AND
RATHER INTENSE RIBBON OF 850-700 MB FGEN BETWEEN THE RT22/322
CORRIDOR AND I-80 LATE SUNDAY THROUGH THE MID MORNING HOURS MONDAY.

THIS FEATURE...LINKED TO THE ENTRANCE REGION OF A 150-160KT 300 MB
JET ACROSS THE ERN GLAKES REGION...IS SUPPORTIVE OF THE NUMEROUS
HIGHER SREF/SREF PARA MEMBERS...AND LIES WITHIN THE ZONE OF HIGHEST
MODEL UNCERTAINTY ATTM /WITH RESPECT TO STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL...AND
TO A LESSER DEGREE - PRECIP TYPE/ ACROSS THE CENTRAL THIRD OF PENN.

THE UPCOMING SHIFT WILL BE CLOSELY ASSESSING THE NEXT FEW MODEL
RUNS FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF EXTENDING THE WINT STORM WATCH A FEW
LAYERS OF COUNTIES TO THE NORTH.

It would be amazing to see if the low temps do happen that's shown on today's 06 GFS run for 3/4 - 3/6. Low temps of -14/18 for KSWF.

-2 for the low out here. I think that puts me at least ten below 0 lows for the season... A hell of an evening to run out of oil...I went out and got enough fuel to get us through last night, waiting on a delivery now with mixed emotions...

Guest Patrick

Awesome find...all of the NWS offices have been pretty even-handed with this event, and they all allude to a bigger potential.  Seems like every other storm this year - models fail, true mets with experience come closer to wining.   On a bigger scale, the ending la nina and coming nino probably contribute more to a snowy march than anything else.  I think uncle posted some stats about that, but darned if I can find them before coffee.

has to dig deep into the State College NWS for this nugget

.SHORT TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT/...
1130Z UPDATE...ALTHOUGH 06Z GFS/GEFS AND 00Z EC SUITE CONTINUES TO
FOCUS THE HEAVIEST QPF /AND SNOWFALL/ ACROSS THE SOUTHERN 2-3 LAYERS
OF COUNTIES IN PENN...THE 06Z NAM HAS INJECTED A VERY INTERESTING
TWIST TO THIS UPCOMING EVENT BY DISPLAYING A WELL-DEFINED...AND
RATHER INTENSE RIBBON OF 850-700 MB FGEN BETWEEN THE RT22/322
CORRIDOR AND I-80 LATE SUNDAY THROUGH THE MID MORNING HOURS MONDAY.

THIS FEATURE...LINKED TO THE ENTRANCE REGION OF A 150-160KT 300 MB
JET ACROSS THE ERN GLAKES REGION...IS SUPPORTIVE OF THE NUMEROUS
HIGHER SREF/SREF PARA MEMBERS...AND LIES WITHIN THE ZONE OF HIGHEST
MODEL UNCERTAINTY ATTM /WITH RESPECT TO STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL...AND
TO A LESSER DEGREE - PRECIP TYPE/ ACROSS THE CENTRAL THIRD OF PENN.

THE UPCOMING SHIFT WILL BE CLOSELY ASSESSING THE NEXT FEW MODEL
RUNS FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF EXTENDING THE WINT STORM WATCH A FEW
LAYERS OF COUNTIES TO THE NORTH.

-2 for the low out here. I think that puts me at least ten below 0 lows for the season... A hell of an evening to run out of oil...I went out and got enough fuel to get us through last night, waiting on a delivery now with mixed emotions...

Ouch, it's amazing to see the amount of  low temps this year but is not good for the pocket tho. :( Hope you get the delivery soon.

Guest Patrick

agree - i'm out of wood pellets and can't find anyone that has them in stock.  waiting for oil here too... been dumping in 5 gallons at a time but it's eating it faster than i can pour haha

Ouch, it's amazing to see the amount of  low temps this year but is not good for the pocket tho. :( Hope you get the delivery soon.

Ouch I've had that happen to me. This cold is getting a little ridiculous now.

-2 here as well.

Looking at all the guidance so far today, I'm glad that I spent a grand total of 7 minutes following this "threat" over the past week. Isn't anyone else in here ready for spring?!

I'm still in the mood for one more good storm.

But if not, spring can feel free to show up.lol

Guest Patrick

I buried 1500 crocus bulbs before the first freeze.  i wouldn't mind seeing them soon.  at this rate they might come up in june.

I'm still in the mood for one more good storm.
But if not, spring can feel free to show up.lol

Temp difference between my house and the woods where the footbridge crosses the Taconic in Yorktown was 13* this morning. It never popped above 32 here but it got to 44 while we were riding and the sun came out for about fifteen minutes. Up to that point we could ride anywhere! Trails be da ned just point it down that draw and rip :) and then all of a sudden it became work :( There's still a solid foot in the woods and up to two in sheltered spots. Fatbikes are fun.

Forecast to go below 0 tonight, they just keep coming. Usually I only go below zero a handful of nights each season, but here we are in March and still adding to the tally. I've always wanted to live somewhere in the deep north... not as far as the Arctic Circle, but maybe southern Alberta or Saskatchewan. This winter is probably as close to that kind of climate as I'll have the privilege of living in for the near future.

Unless something really bizarre happens, this will likely be the last legitimately cold night for the season. Even though all signs point to below-average for the next few weeks, that becomes increasingly boring as the averages continue to climb. 

I do wish it would snow, but beggars can't be choosers. 2.0" spread over three events since the 2/13 storm has been a bit boring.

Forecast to go below 0 tonight, they just keep coming. Usually I only go below zero a handful of nights each season, but here we are in March and still adding to the tally. I've always wanted to live somewhere in the deep north... not as far as the Arctic Circle, but maybe southern Alberta or Saskatchewan. This winter is probably as close to that kind of climate as I'll have the privilege of living in for the near future.

Unless something really bizarre happens, this will likely be the last legitimately cold night for the season. Even though all signs point to below-average for the next few weeks, that becomes increasingly boring as the averages continue to climb. 

I do wish it would snow, but beggars can't be choosers. 2.0" spread over three events since the 2/13 storm has been a bit boring.

It has been pretty remarkable.  It feels downright balmy on the nights that it doesn't go below 10 degrees.  But I agree, it has been a little boring.  I guess we are paying for that 2 week stretch of continual snow.  

Dropped to 5 degrees so far.  Should make it below zero here as well.  

Archived