• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

I thought the cutoff was down in lower westchester but then I could be wrong. The guy in Ossising said he didn't receive more than 3.5" and he is in lower/cen Westchester.

I live in Armonk (450') which is just a few miles north of HPN in Central Westchester (though right on the edge of "Northern" Westchester) and we received around 9.5 inches.  I remember being in the heaviest banding for a few hours before things started shifting back south.  I believe we were at the extreme northern extent of this heavier banding, however, as totals progressively dropped as you went north thru Mt. Kisco and Katonah.  Southern Westchester did do the best overall though with totals nearing 13 inches or so.  As I may have mentioned before, we kind of do well with systems that favor both coastal and northern areas but rarely jackpot-espec for larger synoptic events.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems the cold for this time of the year is not uncommon. Record low at Sussex airport in New Jersey today is 25 below zero.

As cold as it has been, you're right, this is nowhere near as cold as the all time record lows for our area. I think the defining highlight of this present cold and next weeks cold is, the long duration of it. We have not seen such long duration cold stretches like this in quite some time. At least so many consecutive nights at or below zero. Binghamton has zero here tonight, Mon am -2, and Tuesday am -7.

As cold as it has been, you're right, this is nowhere near as cold as the all time record lows for our area. I think the defining highlight of this present cold and next weeks cold is, the long duration of it. We have not seen such long duration cold stretches like this in quite some time. At least so many consecutive nights at or below zero. Binghamton has zero here tonight, Mon am -2, and Tuesday am -7.

Agree. My dogs seem tired of it too.

Saw a bunch of turkey's out this morning which was strange. Maybe 25 of them just relaxing in the woods.

River ice - I am interested to see how much river ice forms in the next week or two on the Delaware and Hudson.  Prolonged days and nights of below and well below freezing will continually add more ice to the rivers.  I usually cross the Delaware several times a month at either Dingmans Falls, Milford or Barryville.  I usually only cross the Hudson at the GWB 2x a week.  If anyone crosses these rivers I would love to get a report on how much ice there is.  If we get a quick warmup in a few weeks with rain lookout for some ice jams and flooding.

River ice - I am interested to see how much river ice forms in the next week or two on the Delaware and Hudson.  Prolonged days and nights of below and well below freezing will continually add more ice to the rivers.  I usually cross the Delaware several times a month at either Dingmans Falls, Milford or Barryville.  I usually only cross the Hudson at the GWB 2x a week.  If anyone crosses these rivers I would love to get a report on how much ice there is.  If we get a quick warmup in a few weeks with rain lookout for some ice jams and flooding.

I cross the TZB everyday. On the Rockland side, north of the bridge, where all of the cranes are, it's completely ice. The other parts of the river around the bridge is mostly ice, but you can still see some of the water. There are some pictures that show what I'm talking about here:

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?avis=bh&dato=20140122&kategori=news&lopenr=301220061&ref=ph

River ice - I am interested to see how much river ice forms in the next week or two on the Delaware and Hudson. Prolonged days and nights of below and well below freezing will continually add more ice to the rivers. I usually cross the Delaware several times a month at either Dingmans Falls, Milford or Barryville. I usually only cross the Hudson at the GWB 2x a week. If anyone crosses these rivers I would love to get a report on how much ice there is. If we get a quick warmup in a few weeks with rain lookout for some ice jams and flooding.

I'm on a train heading north on the Hudson Line right now, LOL. I saw almost solid ice most of the way down from Beacon, I'm guessing ice jams will be a problem on the other rivers in the coming weeks. True about the cold, no where near records in these parts, people are just soft these days and love screaming "POLAR VORTEX!!"

It's interesting, the Hudson here (at Poughkeepsie) had full ice coverage two weeks ago during the first really cold stretch.  It then lessened and rather abruptly increased again at some point last week (during the thaw).  I assume it was due to ice from upstream at that point.  It's back to being fully covered again.  The ice makes for some dramatic photography shots, that's for sure.  One of my pictures of the ice and the Walkway (black and white) was picked up by Tri-State Weather on Facebook, which was pretty cool.  If you guys are looking for a good place to go for some dramatic scenery, Constitution Marsh just south of Cold Spring is absolutely gorgeous.  You can walk out into the marsh on walkways which are fully iced over with a dramatic view of Storm King, Breakneck Ridge, and the Hudson Highlands.  Just up the same road on the other side of the large bridge, there is Indian Brook which has a nice sized waterfall.  Check out a website called Hike the Hudson Valley for info.

I'm really digging this stretch of cold weather, which seems like it will go on for days and days (if you believe the GFS, we are subfreezing beyond 2/8).  Got onto my backyard rink yesterday for the first time this year.  This is my second year doing it and I think I might get at least 3 weeks straight of continuous usage.  Had a really good two week stretch last year which was interrupted (from my memory) sometime after the blizzard hit New England, and then returned for a week or so afterwards.  Cold and dry is really ideal for ice, as the snow actually can weaken it.  So while I am usually a total snow weenie, I've kind of toned it down due to the rink.  :sled:

As cold as it has been, you're right, this is nowhere near as cold as the all time record lows for our area. I think the defining highlight of this present cold and next weeks cold is, the long duration of it. We have not seen such long duration cold stretches like this in quite some time. At least so many consecutive nights at or below zero. Binghamton has zero here tonight, Mon am -2, and Tuesday am -7.

I don't think this is record breaking cold either but the consistent cold so far this winter is very impressive. Haven't seen consistent cold like this in a long time. You know its been a cold winter so far when the low drops to 0 and its ehh ok. lol Most of our arctic outbreaks come in strong and are followed by a warm up for the most part. Not this yr.

btw its 3f outside and feels "normal" now lol.. Go figure 

I cross the Delaware every day in Hunterdon Co. Ice is starting to build in slow moving areas again after the brief thaw took most of the ice south to the jam near Trenton. The bergs are generally small 6" to 2' in diameter

I dont know where he is in Mahopac, but I work in Mahopac and Live In Kent, and I did not get more than 2 inches in either location. The green line ended right around the southern border. tantalizing to say the least. I got almost 5 inches last Sat.

I'm on the last hill a block from the county line on the ESE aspect. It snowed a lot longer at my place than just two miles away at the corner of 6 and 6N. I bet if you were at work and measured regularly you would have seen more too because it was blowing pretty good especially towards the end. being further SE also made a big difference with this storm, the gradient was dramatic.

One more thought, the stuff was fluffy and small flakes so it condensed pretty quickly in that wind but if you went out and checked it often your number would be higher. I know it's supposed to be six hour intervals for measuring but sometimes it really needs to be done more frequently.

Yea lots of people think that with extreme cold air in place were gonna make out well with high ratios but in reality it usually dampers snow development into fine dendrites which would be ok if your in heavy snow banding for prolonged time, if that last storm had temps in the upper 20's low 30's with better snow development the dry air aloft would have caved and that band would have extended north quicker and with more moisture... We need a storm at or inside the benchmark with highs in the upper 20's and a rain/snow scenario at the coast to see a really big storm IMO

I was in a good band for about 90 minutes. Read back into my posts, at one point I couldn't see the houses on the next block and they are about 300 feet away. It really piled up at that point and I ran out to get a measurement before it settled and had a little over three inches but when I shoveled an hour later there was barely two.

I'm on the last hill a block from the county line on the ESE aspect. It snowed a lot longer at my place than just two miles away at the corner of 6 and 6N. I bet if you were at work and measured regularly you would have seen more too because it was blowing pretty good especially towards the end. being further SE also made a big difference with this storm, the gradient was dramatic.

I see. That last corner of Putnam was in the green for quite a while. I was 2miles from it.

One more thought, the stuff was fluffy and small flakes so it condensed pretty quickly in that wind but if you went out and checked it often your number would be higher. I know it's supposed to be six hour intervals for measuring but sometimes it really needs to be done more frequently.

I was reading about this recently for another reason and I believe the NWS guidelines call for no more than 4 measurements in a 24 hour period, but I'm not sure if that means every 6 hours or you can do it more frequently (there are special circumstances, such as if the snow is melting, or drifting, or there is a lengthy interval between accumulating snow).  I've always wanted to become a spotter but never get around to taking the class.  I was reading about 24 hour snowfall records in the US, and I guess the record belongs to Colorado, but a spotter on the Tug Hill actually recorded a higher 24 hour total, but he measured one too many times and the NWS didn't recognize it as official.

I was reading about this recently for another reason and I believe the NWS guidelines call for no more than 4 measurements in a 24 hour period, but I'm not sure if that means every 6 hours or you can do it more frequently (there are special circumstances, such as if the snow is melting, or drifting, or there is a lengthy interval between accumulating snow).  I've always wanted to become a spotter but never get around to taking the class.  I was reading about 24 hour snowfall records in the US, and I guess the record belongs to Colorado, but a spotter on the Tug Hill actually recorded a higher 24 hour total, but he measured one too many times and the NWS didn't recognize it as official.

Here is the link to the updated guidelines: http://nws.noaa.gov/om/coop/reference/Snow_Measurement_Guidelines.pdf

There was a lot of discussion about these new guidelines in a thread but of course I can't find it now.  I think the new guidelines created confusion more than anything. For example you'll see on page 8 they mention doing 24 hour measurements unless directed by your NWS office to take 6 hour measurements.  So which do we do?  Never take measuremetns in less than 6 hour increments, that much is certain but there is certainly going to be a difference adding up 6 hour measurements versus just one measurement at the end of the storm.  The discussion in the thread (which I will continue to look for) the general consensus was to take the one measurement at the end of the storm so no doubt anyone doing measurements more frequently than that will have a higher total than the person doing one measurement.  As for the spotter training, I took both the basic course and the advanced spotter course through the Upton office and the focus of both was on severe thunderstorms and tornados, there was very little on snowfall.  

Here is the link to the updated guidelines: http://nws.noaa.gov/om/coop/reference/Snow_Measurement_Guidelines.pdf

There was a lot of discussion about these new guidelines in a thread but of course I can't find it now.  I think the new guidelines created confusion more than anything. For example you'll see on page 8 they mention doing 24 hour measurements unless directed by your NWS office to take 6 hour measurements.  So which do we do?  Never take measuremetns in less than 6 hour increments, that much is certain but there is certainly going to be a difference adding up 6 hour measurements versus just one measurement at the end of the storm.  The discussion in the thread (which I will continue to look for) the general consensus was to take the one measurement at the end of the storm so no doubt anyone doing measurements more frequently than that will have a higher total than the person doing one measurement.  As for the spotter training, I took both the basic course and the advanced spotter course through the Upton office and the focus of both was on severe thunderstorms and tornados, there was very little on snowfall.  

Here's the original thread: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/41853-new-nws-snow-measurement-guide/

Archived