joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey at least with a low running to our west we don't have to worry about getting shafted precip wise like every coastal has done this year lol. My biggest snow this year was from a sw overrunning event

Been a strange season to date so far.

Our zones have found interesting way to bust low for events that were pegged to be decent to big.

We are now firmly into the belly of snow season.

Looks like yet another storm on Monday is going to track south of our area, whiffing the NW burbs and jackpotting the usual areas that have been getting it all winter.  It really is incredible how the same storm track continues to repeat itself again and again.

Rant over :)

Hopefully we cash in on Weds.

Looks like a dusting to a inch depending on your location on the new NAM.

Good run for areas from the City south.

Fringe City USA!!!

In my locale, I can't even say it is anything as good as fringe... It's more like complete WHIFF LOL

I will be in NYC at work on Monday anyway, but it's just funny to see the southern zones continually increment their snowfall totals, while those north are left with a few stray flakes..  Folks in Albany must be even more frustrated.. I always thought that Northern areas had more snow! I guess times are changing!

Any news on the euro for the mid week storm for our areas.

I scanned a a few threads but did not see to much on it.

EURO and it's Ensembles came in cold with a decent thump of snow for the area.. 850s looked just north of NYC, never getting north of northern westchester, running east to west.  Far NW NJ would be at or below zero 850s for the entire event.

We can only hope...

Any news on the euro for the mid week storm for our areas.

I scanned a a few threads but did not see to much on it.

Coastal took over a little further south on this run (off the coast of SNJ), but it had pretty negligible effects in our area as the Euro had been snowier in general.  Looks like a widespread 6-8" in our area prior to a changeover (to ice) and dryslotting.

In my locale, I can't even say it is anything as good as fringe... It's more like complete WHIFF LOL

I will be in NYC at work on Monday anyway, but it's just funny to see the southern zones continually increment their snowfall totals, while those north are left with a few stray flakes.. Folks in Albany must be even more frustrated.. I always thought that Northern areas had more snow! I guess times are changing!

Im expecting a whiff on Monday, it seems like the storms trend a touch south in the last 24 hours before it hits. Don S posted yesterday in a thread that Albany was 3" above normal for the season, not sure how that happened. They look to get a good dumping up there on Wed, remains to be seen what happens around here. Since it's the 1st maybe I'll look at my totals and see where I stand. I already know there are lots of places to our south with much more snow than IMBY.

Im expecting a whiff on Monday, it seems like the storms trend a touch south in the last 24 hours before it hits. Don S posted yesterday in a thread that Albany was 3" above normal for the season, not sure how that happened. They look to get a good dumping up there on Wed, remains to be seen what happens around here. Since it's the 1st maybe I'll look at my totals and see where I stand. I already know there are lots of places to our south with much more snow than IMBY.

Thinking about it, Albany did quite well with some of the storms in December/early Jan.. I think it is the mid-hudson valley that have had the shaft relative to others.   I am at 25" at best right now, which is probably around average, but most areas to the south (and north!) are above average.

Fringe City USA!!!

Or complete miss up here on the Monday storm but the Wed storm should deliver. The Monday storm is another NYC and south special with maybe some accumulating snow into the more immediate Northern burbs of NYC and northern NJ. However, there are some signs finally of a pattern change with the Wed storm looking to favor places north of I80 and then who knows about the storm next weekend with the Euro and GFS right now on different planets with that one.

Thinking about it, Albany did quite well with some of the storms in December/early Jan.. I think it is the mid-hudson valley that have had the shaft relative to others.   I am at 25" at best right now, which is probably around average, but most areas to the south (and north!) are above average.

About 28 inches here basically across the river from you (I never keep exact track). Yea I agree the Mid HV has kind of had it worst because the Albany area did better on both 12/14 and 1/2 (plus they sometimes cash in on some light lake effect which Mid HV doesn't), still not a bad winter though, pretty much right on track for average at this point of the winter, but it just feels like it's not that good of a winter because places to the south are so far above their averages. 

It's pretty incredible that with two major east coast snowstorms and two to three very cold weeks that we only got about a foot of snow in January in our neck of the woods.  I agree that Monday is a miss, Wednesday should be a sure bet for somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-8", and next weekend is out in la la land, though if it follows the trend of this winter, I would lean towards another fringe job up here.  

Here at Mount Vernon, NY, the seasonal snowfall is 3" below average and it may not reach average until Wednesday.

Sent from my HTC PH39100

That's surprising.. 3" below average based on this time of year or for your full winter total?  I thought areas around NYC or just north are all well above average for YTD.

My average seasonal total thru the end of January is 23.5" and my actual seasonal snowfall through that time is 26.7" which is +3.2" for this point in the season.

Figured we would be close to average YTD.. It just seems worse than it actually is I guess, especially given the lack of snow cover due to the untimely warmups, coupled with missing out on the good stuff to our south a couple of times.

Figured we would be close to average YTD.. It just seems worse than it actually is I guess, especially given the lack of snow cover due to the untimely warmups, coupled with missing out on the good stuff to our south a couple of times.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't as bad as it seems, it's just those locations to the south are that much more above normal snowfall. The breakdown by month on snowfall is Nov: -1.1, Dec:+4.8, Jan: -.5.

Sure, we should still keep an eye on Monday but it will need to trend much more north for me since the trend has been for things to wind up a little south of where it's modeled. Of course this seasonal trend can change as most of us would like to see happen.

12Z GFS big snowstorm for almost entire HV on Wed, then ends as some ice and drizzle.

Forget Monday, I don't see it happening for anyone north of I80, we've seen this song and dance all winter.

looking like im going to get the shaft for both, to far north for monday and to far south for midweek event.

12Z GFS big snowstorm for almost entire HV on Wed, then ends as some ice and drizzle.

Forget Monday, I don't see it happening for anyone north of I80, we've seen this song and dance all winter.

Monday is going to be a pretty localized event, at least for heavier accumulations, given the temp profiles and extent of the precipitation shield.  I wouldn't expect more than just heavy cloud cover up here  :whistle:  GFS looks on track for Wednesday still. Not terribly different than the prior couple of runs, perhaps a shade colder?

Not sure if I am looking at the same model, but it seems the HV will switch over to a mix after a front end dump on the 12Z GFS.

I would not go all in for a big snow storm yet.

Not sure if I am looking at the same model, but it seems the HV will switch over to a mix after a front end dump on the 12Z GFS.

I would not go all in for a big snow storm yet.

Instant weather snow maps sometimes are overdone but show everyone in the HV except Southern Westchester at 6+ with close to 10 inches for Ulster and Dutchess Counties. I think between I80 and I84 mid levels could be an issue but I think north of I84 this should be a significant snowstorm even if there is a changeover later on in the storm.

Archived