joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

13 degrees and had a moderate burst of snow for a good hour here, about a 1/4 inch today.

Next weekend continues to look interesting with a possible swfe. I think models are a bit too warm verbatim, but it's far too early to be concerned with thermal profiles. It's nice to see guidance continue advertising a threat.

Have you been model watching?  What do you think of our chances with this pattern going forward?

If this gradient pattern is legit then we will be sitting pretty up here. Swfe are our bread and butter. You very rarely see jackpot totals up here from coastals but almost always see it from swfes. The one to watch is the 2/4-5 event. 

Posted by PB GFI in the Feb Discussion thread..

12z Euro for the 2/4-2/5 event..

Saw that, in fact there's even a little more to follow after that.  GFS looks to have a potent system on the 5/6 as well, though it looks like more of a snow to ice/rain deal.  The moisture is there, the cold is nearby, hopefully it lives up to it's potential. 

I know this is a weather board and people love snow, but it's hard to believe there's a 6 page thread about a storm that, at most, will give some places a coating to an inch of snow.   There will be lots of pill popping over the next week as the nuances of this pattern eventually get resolved.  Hopefully we all come out ahead.  :popcorn:

Temp down to 28F - a few flakes here and there.

Leaving for Houston thurs am and coming back Sun night - anyone know the latest for this upcoming weekend? I know 6 days is an eternity when it comes to winter forecasting- sounds like we may get something, or not.

Looks like a minor system of some type on Saturday or Sunday depending on the model with the bigger event to follow mid to late week. 

Looks like a minor system of some type on Saturday or Sunday depending on the model with the bigger event to follow mid week.

Sounds good, thanks - as long as I can get back for the possible bigger event lol

What's crazy is that Houston had some snow last week and they have some forecasted tomorrow.

But looks to be 70 at end of week there. That's some wild swings in temps.

Just hoping we can close out with a couple of nice storms here in the burbs before all is said and done.

Posted by PB GFI in the Feb Discussion thread..

12z Euro for the 2/4-2/5 event..

It would have been 2 to 3 times these totals if it weren't for 850mb temps being above freezing for several hours. I posted the zoomed in map in the main thread. Whenever you have these WAA events you're going to have issues with the mid and upper levels going above freezing. The saving grace would be if a strong enough coastal can flip the winds around but right now that doesn't look to be the case.

It would have been 2 to 3 times these totals if it weren't for 850mb temps being above freezing for several hours. I posted the zoomed in map in the main thread. Whenever you have these WAA events you're going to have issues with the mid and upper levels going above freezing. The saving grace would be if a strong enough coastal can flip the winds around but right now that doesn't look to be the case.

Ill take a strong WWA event up here any day of the week over a coastal.. We cash in big with those.

As cold as it's been, the ice on my shallow pond still creaked and groaned today whilst attempting to prep for skating. Cleared the snow and tried to resurface by pumping liquid over top and it was working well until I was forced to dive off, lol. 4" to at least 12" thick, but I guess the torch a couple weeks back did a number on the integrity of the ice.

Next weeks storm is starting to look real interesting for these parts. Ill tell ya one thing I would much rather be in the interior than on the coast for this one. It has that classic look :)

Yup- hopefully we get our turn for that one. Would be a awesome to finally jackpot this time.

As cold as it's been, the ice on my shallow pond still creaked and groaned today whilst attempting to prep for skating. Cleared the snow and tried to resurface by pumping liquid over top and it was working well until I was forced to dive off, lol. 4" to at least 12" thick, but I guess the torch a couple weeks back did a number on the integrity of the ice.

If the snow accumulated right after the warmth, it acted like a blanket and kept the ice from getting thicker.  Snow/slush after warmth to cold snap is the worst!!  I lost my pond for the rest of what should be a long cold winter!!

Archived