joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mid week storm looks pretty good for our area so far (long way to go obviously). The 6z GFS verbatim has nearly an inch of precip here before 850's get above zero. Even the warmer runs would give us a nice 6"+ front end thump before a changeover. Maybe we finally get to cash in after a cold and relatively dry winter for the area.

The mid week storm looks pretty good for our area so far (long way to go obviously). The 6z GFS verbatim has nearly an inch of precip here before 850's get above zero. Even the warmer runs would give us a nice 6"+ front end thump before a changeover. Maybe we finally get to cash in after a cold and relatively dry winter for the area.

Maybe and there's something to be said about getting a protective layer of sleet/ice on top of whatever snow falls to help retain the pack. The clean up won't be as easy as it has been though, LOL.

Maybe and there's something to be said about getting a protective layer of sleet/ice on top of whatever snow falls to help retain the pack. The clean up won't be as easy as it has been though, LOL.

Those ice/sleet encrusted snows are bulletproof.  They last forever.  The key is to get out there and shovel asap when it changes over!

Next week is gonna be dicey up here.. Looks like the entire kitchen sink is gonna be thrown at us

I'll take my chances.  The cold and dry has been good for skating, but it's been really boring since late December/early January.  I don't mind a little rain/frozen as long as we get a decent amount of snow.  I still think Wednesday will produce at least several hours of steady snow before a changeover.  I feel like the SWFE's almost always overproduce up here.  Looks like Monday might be trending a little north too.  The 3rd storm is a little too far out for me to worry about, though it certainly seems to have the most upside from a pure snow lovers standpoint.

I personally have not been to upbeat about this storm.

Most of the recent models the past 24 hours have shown a front end thump of a few inches, over to a mix to rain. Possibly a decent amount of rain.

Really need a 2nd low to pop off the SNJ coast or further south to get my wood chopping.

Plenty of time to get back to the snow solutions :loon:

Most of the recent models the past 24 hours have shown a front end thump of a few inches, over to a mix to rain. Possibly a decent amount of rain.

Really need a 2nd low to pop off the SNJ coast or further south to get my wood chopping.

This is gonna be one of those storms where your elevation will not matter in regards to snowfall. Latitude will be more of a factor

What we need is better upper level pattern evolution.  This winter when the trof axis has been favorable, the trof has been dampened/squashed.  When the trof axis was further west, portions of the PV have phased, allowing the trof to amplify further.  Almost nothing in between... with the mid-Dec storm being closest.  As modeled the trof axis is too far west for every wave except Mon.  But the Mon. wave is disjointed and unphased so the trof is flat.

This is gonna be one of those storms where your elevation will not matter in regards to snowfall. Latitude will be more of a factor

I agree, latitude will be the biggest factor in this storm as warmth will be coming in from the SW. The Mid HV should favor better than say NW NJ in this particular setup in terms of hanging onto snow, but I still think everyone NW of NYC sees at least some frozen and possibly prolonged frozen.

I agree, latitude will be the biggest factor in this storm as warmth will be coming in from the SW. The Mid HV should favor better than say NW NJ in this particular setup in terms of hanging onto snow, but I still think everyone NW of NYC sees at least some frozen and possibly prolonged frozen.

Yeah.. When you are talking mid level warming events elevation means nothing unless your above 5000'. Latitude is key here. If the primary hangs on till W PA then areas in the upper Hudson Valley should do well.

The main forum is unreadable since last night.  Way too much bickering about the upcoming storms.  As much as I love a good storm, I don't see why people have to launch personal attacks over it. 

Getting back to the weather, seems like we are in a holding pattern for now regarding Wednesday.  As I said, if we can get 6" and some crust, I'll take it and run.

The main forum is unreadable since last night.  Way too much bickering about the upcoming storms.  As much as I love a good storm, I don't see why people have to launch personal attacks over it. 

Getting back to the weather, seems like we are in a holding pattern for now regarding Wednesday.  As I said, if we can get 6" and some crust, I'll take it and run.

Agree!! you and I have been in a snow hole for most of the winter,lol

Too many tools take it personal, it's hideous.  No one controls the weather, NO ONE!   

Good evening fans,

It seems the mid week storm is going to be the kitchen sink as was mentioned in a previous post.

Front end snow of a few inches over to sleet, freezing rain and possibly plain rain depending on your location.

For what ever reason I just am not really to motivated for this storm.Still hoping that over the next few days the models trend towards more snow. 

Current temp is a balmy 30 F.

Good evening fans,

It seems the mid week storm is going to be the kitchen sink as was mentioned in a previous post.

Front end snow of a few inches over to sleet, freezing rain and possibly plain rain depending on your location.

For what ever reason I just am not really to motivated for this storm.Still hoping that over the next few days the models trend towards more snow. 

Current temp is a balmy 30 F.

It's not a huge snow producer but it will be a major winter storm, the icing could be really nasty in NW NJ and the HV. I also wouldn't be surprised if the snow is a bit more than modeled, usually tends to be with these front end thumps.   

I've always liked this storm for at least 6", at least in the further north sections of the region that we are in, despite the not so great trends over the past day or so.  Looks like the GFS might be trending better tonight though, verbatim has at least 6 hours of moderate to heavy snow before a changeover.  The weenie Weatherbell snow maps have all of the lower and mid HV (and NNJ) with 6-10" of snow, a definite increase over recent runs, which mostly had the region getting 4-6".  

One of the few reasons why we have our own thread. Those storm threads are usually a disaster.

Tonights 0z runs are much improved for the area. 

One of the few reasons why we have our own thread. Those storm threads are usually a disaster.

Tonights 0z runs are much improved for the area. 

Definitely good trends tonight.  I was looking at the precip on the GFS and the maximum axis shifted quite a bit further south on this run.  It had been in extreme NW PA up into Western and Central NY.  Now it's in Central PA into NJ (despite the primary moving into WNY).  That's a couple hundred mile shift.  It makes me wonder if the coastal took over even sooner than the models show.  Now with an improvement in the GFS, watch the Euro go the opposite way tonight!

Definitely good trends tonight.  I was looking at the precip on the GFS and the maximum axis shifted quite a bit further south on this run.  It had been in extreme NW PA up into Western and Central NY.  Now it's in Central PA into NJ (despite the primary moving into WNY).  That's a couple hundred mile shift.  It makes me wonder if the coastal took over even sooner than the models show.  Now with an improvement in the GFS, watch the Euro go the opposite way tonight!

CMC, GFS, UKmet all came further south, now have heavy snow across the Lower and Mid HV with some ice at the end, but definitely a warning level snowfall.

Archived