joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love our sub-forum and thank all those who post.  I spend about 3 -4 days a week in Sussex NJ and  the same amount of time in Whitestone, Queens ( two residences)  Because of work I was in Queens yesterday for the storm and although my area in Queens  received 8-9 inches of snow my snow allegiance is to the Northwest.  I also spend many days visiting friends in Orange and Sullivan County NY and Pike County PA so I like hearing all the snow and temperature updates from these and other areas in our sub-forum.

I've exchanged posts with a number of you but iIthought I would share with you how long I've been in the "great northwest" and would like to hear how long you have been  living in our  area.

I moved to Sussex County in October 1998 and have split time between Sussex and Queens NY since that time.

I love our sub-forum and thank all those who post.  I spend about 3 -4 days a week in Sussex NJ and  the same amount of time in Whitestone, Queens ( two residences)  Because of work I was in Queens yesterday for the storm and although my area in Queens  received 8-9 inches of snow my snow allegiance is to the Northwest.  I also spend many days visiting friends in Orange and Sullivan County NY and Pike County PA so I like hearing all the snow and temperature updates from these and other areas in our sub-forum.

I've exchanged posts with a number of you but iIthought I would share with you how long I've been in the "great northwest" and would like to hear how long you have been  living in our  area.

I moved to Sussex County in October 1998 and have split time between Sussex and Queens NY since that time.

Moved up to Highland Mills from the Bronx in Nov. 1994. Been upstate since and now reside in Middletown aka Town of Wawayanda.

I love our sub-forum and thank all those who post. I spend about 3 -4 days a week in Sussex NJ and the same amount of time in Whitestone, Queens ( two residences) Because of work I was in Queens yesterday for the storm and although my area in Queens received 8-9 inches of snow my snow allegiance is to the Northwest. I also spend many days visiting friends in Orange and Sullivan County NY and Pike County PA so I like hearing all the snow and temperature updates from these and other areas in our sub-forum.

I've exchanged posts with a number of you but iIthought I would share with you how long I've been in the "great northwest" and would like to hear how long you have been living in our area.

Moved to Monroe from the Bronx in 74. I've lived in Chester and Cornwall, now back to Monroe- the snow magnet until this year lol

I've exchanged posts with a number of you but iIthought I would share with you how long I've been in the "great northwest" and would like to hear how long you have been living in our area.

My family moved to Fishkill in 1977, then to New Windsor in 1983. I lived in a couple different spots in New Windsor until I moved here ( in between the Village of Monthomery and Campbell Hall) in 2005. So about 37 years in this neck of the woods.

My family moved to Fishkill in 1977, then to New Windsor in 1983. I lived in a couple different spots in New Windsor until I moved here ( in between the Village of Monthomery and Campbell Hall) in 2005. So about 37 years in this neck of the woods.

Was born in cornwall then I lived in highland falls for 23 years just recently moved to new windsor across from Stewart airport a little over a year ago

Was born in cornwall then I lived in highland falls for 23 years just recently moved to new windsor across from Stewart airport a little over a year ago

Were you on the old Eastern board during the Snowicane back in 2/10?  I remember a poster from around Highland Falls during that storm cause they were getting rain while further into Orange County we were getting heavy snow.

I should have mentioned that the first five years of my life I lived in central New Hampshire, where I was born.  That is where I learned to love a snowpack on the ground for a good part of the winter.  Not that I remember much being that young but my grandparents stayed up there until 1985 so I have memeories of winter visits when they seemingly always had a nice snowpack on the ground.

I took a ride yesterday on 84 to go to my doctors appointment at Castle Point V.A hospital just north of Beacon, and I was astonished at the lack of snow cover in-between Middletown and Newburgh. There was straight up bare spots in certain locations.

I'm about halfway between Middletown and Newburgh, about 1/2 mile south of 84 so you now feel my pain.  I'm protected enough in my yard that the wind didn't blow away the little bit of snow that fell the other day but the more open spots have been blown clear.  Hoping to get everything covered on Saturday.  

We were able to maintain a snow pack from last Saturday and added a little to it with Tuesday's storm. Since it is a shallow but solid pack, it would be perfect for my kids to go sledding in our yard. Too damn cold, however.

I grew up in Pompton Lakes, NJ. I moved to Hamburg when I married in 2002. We then moved to Wantage in 2004.

I'm about halfway between Middletown and Newburgh, about 1/2 mile south of 84 so you now feel my pain.  I'm protected enough in my yard that the wind didn't blow away the little bit of snow that fell the other day but the more open spots have been blown clear.  Hoping to get everything covered on Saturday.  

I completely understand now. I would blame some of it on exposure to full sun, especially being I was on the highway, but it has been downright cold. I hope your area can pick up a couple inches come Saturday!

I took a ride yesterday on 84 to go to my doctors appointment at Castle Point V.A hospital just north of Beacon, and I was astonished at the lack of snow cover in-between Middletown and Newburgh. There was straight up bare spots in certain locations.

I think alot of it had to do with how isolated those snow squalls were the other day. That day I drove in to work and once I crossed into Goshen it was bare ground. 

FIRST SYSTEM TO WATCH WILL BE AN INTENSE CLIPPER SYSTEM TRACKING
THROUGH SOUTHERN QUEBEC AND ONTARIO ON SATURDAY IN RESPONSE TO AN
AMPLIFYING SHORTWAVE PIVOTING TOWARDS THE NE. DEEP LAYERED LIFT AND
GOOD THETA-E ADVECTION AHEAD OF THE SYSTEM SHOULD ALLOW FOR LIGHT
SNOW DEVELOPMENT FROM W TO E SAT MORNING INTO AFTERNOON AHEAD OF A
PRE-FRONTAL TROUGH FEATURE. POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR SOME MODERATE TO
HEAVY SNOW BANDING WITH STRENGTHENING MID LEVEL FRONTOGENETIC FORCING
AND EVEN SOME MARGINAL LOW-LEVEL INSTABILITY.
THIS ACTIVITY COULD
TAPER OFF BY MID TO LATE AFTERNOON WITH POTENTIAL FOR SCATTERED SNOW
SHOWER OR EVEN A FEW SNOW SQUALLS IN LATE AFT/EVE AS STRONG
SHORTWAVE ENERGY/ARCTIC FRONT PASS THROUGH.

THIS WILL BE A QUICK MOVING SYSTEM...SO SNOW ACCUM SHOULD BE
GENERALLY LIGHT...COASTING TO 2 INCHES...BUT LOCALLY UP TO 2-4
INCHES IS POSSIBLE IN PATH OF BANDING OR SNOW SQUALLS...AND
PARTICULARLY ACROSS HIGHER ELEVATIONS AND INTERIOR WHERE SNOW
RATIOS WILL BE HIGHER.

The geese lining up on the Putnam/Westchester boarder foretold the storms outcome.  We'll end up with more snow from the snow showers than that storm.  Ours will come.

How much did you get from the last storm? Gravitylover who lives in Mahopac says he got 7". Figured you did decent as well since you live in Carmel.

Someone in Ulster/Orange County could end up with 4" from Saturday morning.

A section from Upton's AFD

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

1149 AM EST THU JAN 23 2014

THIS WILL BE A QUICK MOVING SYSTEM...SO SNOW ACCUM SHOULD BE

GENERALLY LIGHT...COASTING TO 2 INCHES...BUT LOCALLY UP TO 2-4

INCHES IS POSSIBLE IN PATH OF BANDING OR SNOW SQUALLS...AND

PARTICULARLY ACROSS HIGHER ELEVATIONS AND INTERIOR WHERE SNOW

RATIOS WILL BE HIGHER. IN ADDITION TO SNOW...GUSTY WINDS EXPECTED

WITH 40 TO 50 KT LLJ PASSING OVER THE REGION AHEAD OF THE FRONT

ALLOWING SW GUSTS OF 30 AND 40 MPH DURING THE DAY WHICH WILL CAUSE

FURTHER REDUCE VSBY IN BLOWING SNOW ISSUES. A BRIEF BURST OF

WESTERLY WIND ADVISORY WINDS POSSIBLE WITH ARCTIC FRONTAL PASSAGE

SAT EVE. IF TRENDS HOLD...THIS SYSTEM COULD POSE A PERIOD OF

MODERATE TRAVEL IMPACTS FOR SAT INTO SAT EVE DUE TO COMBINED SNOW

AND WIND...REDUCED VSBY...AND POOR ROAD CONDITIONS DUE TO PRE-

CURSOR FROZEN GROUND. ANY SLUSHY SURFACE ALONG THE COAST WOULD

HARD FREEZE SAT NIGHT.

How much did you get from the last storm? Gravitylover who lives in Mahopac says he got 7". Figured you did decent as well since you live in Carmel.

I dont know where he is in Mahopac, but I work in Mahopac and Live In Kent, and I did not get more than 2 inches in either location. The green line ended right around the southern border. tantalizing to say the least.  I got almost 5 inches last Sat.

I dont know where he is in Mahopac, but I work in Mahopac and Live In Kent, and I did not get more than 2 inches in either location. The green line ended right around the southern border. tantalizing to say the least.  I got almost 5 inches last Sat.

I thought the cutoff was down in lower westchester but then I could be wrong. The guy in Ossising said he didn't receive more than 3.5" and he is in lower/cen Westchester. 

I thought the cutoff was down in lower westchester but then I could be wrong. The guy in Ossising said he didn't receive more than 3.5" and he is in lower/cen Westchester. 

I like watching the radar on these smaller events almost as much as the big ones. It is great when they overproduce, and for some reason it gives me retribution to see little ones bust the forcast and over-perform.

BTW, I have lived in Carmel my whole life, and been a snow weenie all along.  ,(44y)  so I may be the senior regional expert on this areas

Archived