joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last 5 yrs have been an unbelievable stretch for the immediate coast. This whole "tight precip gradient" is fairly new. Ive lived up here for about 20 yrs now and never had to deal with that nonsense till recently. But you bring up a good point. There is a reason why they average 20-28" and we avg 50"+.

The idea of a tight gradient isn't really new but it is new to this area. Years ago it seemed the gradient always made it to Orange County's northwest. More recently the gradient either runs through Orange or runs to our southeast it seems.

The idea of a tight gradient isn't really new but it is new to this area. Years ago it seemed the gradient always made it to Orange County's northwest. More recently the gradient either runs through Orange or runs to our southeast it seems.

Yeah I guess its all relative to where you live. If you live in MSV then the tight gradient isn't really new but like you said precip & the heavier banding always found a way to OC.

Do you have a setup or do you use MGJ stats since you are soo close?

I have a Davis station and then two cheaper thermometers because 1) sometimes I'm too lazy to go to my computer to see the temp  :)  2) for verification purposes.  I use KMGJ for verification as well, I'm usually within a degree one way or the other.  The cheap thermometers are just that, cheap and I find them them off by more than a degree or two often.  Then I have my Kelstrel handheld in my truck.   

BGM is a whole different weather world lol..

Broome County Airport (BGM) has amazingly severe winters with a seasonal snowfall average in the 90 inch range and average temps probably close to 10 F colder than NYC...but that is up at the airport which is just under the stratosphere at 1600 feet a.s.l. The town of Binghamton itself is a good 800 feet lower and probably 25 inches less snowy per year than the airfield.

As you probably know, many of the best snowstorms for Orange County are rainstorms for NYC.

I have a Davis station and then two cheaper thermometers because 1) sometimes I'm too lazy to go to my computer to see the temp  :)  2) for verification purposes.  I use KMGJ for verification as well, I'm usually within a degree one way or the other.  The cheap thermometers are just that, cheap and I find them them off by more than a degree or two often.  Then I have my Kelstrel handheld in my truck.   

I have a AcuRite station w/ 2 cheaper thermos scattered about as well lol.. Its interesting sometimes to see the spread between all 3 especially at night during perfect radiational cooling conditions.

As you probably know, many of the best snowstorms for Orange County are rainstorms for NYC.

Well aware  :)  .  I remember a storm in the late 80's around Christmas when I was at my grandparents in Massapequa, freezing rain and rain there.  We drove home the next day to New Windsor and we had to dig out from a good 8" or so of wet packed down snow.

I have a AcuRite station w/ 2 cheaper thermos scattered about as well lol.. Its interesting sometimes to see the spread between all 3 especially at night during perfect radiational cooling conditions.

Yeah, my Davis is sited in a good spot except for wind but thats tough for all of us to get accurately at home.  Its funny to look at the other two therms, one is a wired AcuRite (I think) and the other is a wireless LLBean.  They do ok but since the sensor is on or close to the house that has its affects, as does the sun in the morning that hits both sensors.  I replaced my old Davis Weather Monitor II a couple of years ago with the Vue.  Its decent but I've noticed on sunny days it reads a little warm.  Someday I'd like to replace it with the Vantage Pro but thats a hefty price to pay just to get perfect temps two miles south of the airport, LOL. 

I'll be honest - even though we lucked out with about 3inches I decided to not even clear the driveway. It would be embarrassing to have used my atv to plow it and it's so light why bother with a shovel lol

It blew around a lot and it looks nice.

Maybe I'll broom it off after dinner.

Anything interesting on the horizon for us? I leave next Thurs morning for Houston - with our luck up here it will probably want to snow then.

My cheap thermometer broke a while back so I use the one in the car  :bag:   

So it's a good thing that snow last night was so light - we had a little issue with a bunch of neighbors who all had their snow shovels stolen on Monday afternoon.  Any of us for a couple of block radius that leave them outside didn't have them when we came home  :fulltilt: I used a broom and my gas leaf blower  :lmao:

I think most go below 0 again... Its a matter of how long the ideal conditions can last.

Cannot remember the last winter where we were below 0 this many times and its only late Jan.

They are calling for -8 by me. That would be quite cold- but anything below zero is pretty damn cold in my book

Archived