Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Weekend Storm Disco/Obs (Dec 18th & 19th) ---> Part 2

WeatherNC

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning CAD, what is you obs? Not looking for much here today- flurries to a dusting---maybe an inch. Kids are on hoiday break and we pick granny up from the airport in a few hours. Snow would put us all in the holidays spirit(s)!

Good morning Lowpressure. Long time, no talk.......Temp holding at 34.2, winds NNE at 6 mph, Humidity is 91%,.....got down to 32.0 at 2 am. Really watching the radar :weight_lift:

Weaverville obs Temp. 30 DP.26 Thanks to Dacula for the radar. Looks like there is moisture to the North & South. Not the Central Mnts. go this time. Someone is gonna get some snow today Good Luck!

Thanks! I've added three more radar site to the Deep South radar, I had left off Raleigh and I also added Wakefield VA and Morehead NC radars to that loop. It now loads 28 radar sites. http://www.daculaweather.com/ridge_deep_south_master.php If it starts to get sluggish, it's simply busy refreshing the images. Give it a second and it will speed back up. Oh, don'y forget you can drag this map over to see all of NC/SC.

Is anyone taking into account soil temp? The station at Lake Wheeler Rd in Raleigh is reporting a soil temp of 31.6F. I think it is going to accumulate faster than conventional thought is calling for.

NC State Climate Office

Soil temps are good and we are just about at the lowest sun angle of the year. I believe everyone including the NWS is aware :).

Soil temps are good and we are just about at the lowest sun angle of the year. I believe everyone including the NWS is aware :).

Cool, thanks! Got to travel from Rocky Mount to Goldsboro to Raleigh back to Goldsboro then back to Rocky Mount today b/c of my brother's graduation. Hoping the road conditions won't be bad when I am traveling this evening. What is it with NC State's Fall Graduation falling on days with a snow threat. Same happend last year.

temp 34, dew 34. The sky has the "look" of snow outside with a low gray overcast and ne winds. The radar looks like I'll be on the western edge here though. Futher east is where the best moisture convergence should develop, with snow, sleet and rain giving way to snow.

Yep it certainly does. Going out to walk the dog in a minute. Maybe by some miracle CLT can get lucky popcorn.gif

Yep it certainly does. Going out to walk the dog in a minute. Maybe by some miracle CLT can get lucky popcorn.gif

You have a better shot than here for gettig precip, and snow at that. Look at the radar in the Upstate heading for you. I'll just miss that I think, maybe some light sprinkles or pellets mixed in, but much more consolidated to the east, which is about how I expected for this to play out. We'll see if it can grow and expand more north, but I doubt it much.

Sitting at 37 here....

Looks like, as you state, east of us.

Looks like snow outside however....

temp 34, dew 34. The sky has the "look" of snow outside with a low gray overcast and ne winds. The radar looks like I'll be on the western edge here though. Futher east is where the best moisture convergence should develop, with snow, sleet and rain giving way to snow.

You have a better shot than here for gettig precip, and snow at that. Look at the radar in the Upstate heading for you. I'll just miss that I think, maybe some light sprinkles or pellets mixed in, but much more consolidated to the east, which is about how I expected for this to play out. We'll see if it can grow and expand more north, but I doubt it much.

With the current data, I think you'll see a little snow up there in Shelby, NC before it's all said and done.

Sitting at 37 here....

Looks like, as you state, east of us.

Looks like snow outside however....

Yeah this is about as close as it gets for us. Extremely close call, this could have been a substantial snow if the cards lined up a little better, with more gulf development further west. I just glanced at the euro and it has another southern system near Christmas eve, maybe our turn is coming.

holding firm at 32.0 with radar returns overhead. It most definitely looks and feels like snow out there.

We are having my extended family over at our house this afternoon for our Christmas gathering. I'm not going to be able to track this like I normally would. Hoping for the best. Maybe my family will get snowed in? (I hope not) lol

holding firm at 32.0 with radar returns overhead. It most definitely looks and feels like snow out there.

We are having my extended family over at our house this afternoon for our Christmas gathering. I'm not going to be able to track this like I normally would. Hoping for the best. Maybe my family will get snowed in? (I hope not) lol

What's your DP at?

With the current data, I think you'll see a little snow up there in Shelby, NC before it's all said and done.

If we can get the moisture. We've always been on the western shield of this, and now just looking at radar looks like an extremely close call. Its still not cold enough aloft to snow here, but the extreme northern part of the county could. I could see the southeast part of the county getting clipped. Just a nowcast now since we're on the line.

New FFC AFD update:

FXUS62 KFFC 181411 AAB

AFDFFC

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

911 AM EST SAT DEC 18 2010

.UPDATE...

QUICK UPDATE TO TWEAK POPS AND PRECIP TYPE AND NEAR TERM TEMPS

AND DEWPOINTS. 12Z FFC SOUNDING SHOWS SIGNIFICANT ABOVE FREEZING

SATURATED LAYER 820 TO 740 MB AND IS WARMER THAN GFS OR NAM BUFR

FCST SOUNDINGS AT 12Z. HAVE PUSHED SNOW FURTHER NORTH FOR THE

MORNING AND REMOVED FOR THE AFTERNOON AREAWIDE BASED ON FCST

TEMPS AND LOW AND MID LEVEL THICKNESSES NOT CHANGING MUCH TODAY.

CRITICAL 850-700MB THICKNESS CONFINED WELL TO FAR NORTH GA

CURRENTLY BUT MAY STILL SEE VERY LIGHT SNOW OR SNOW FLURRIES THIS

MORNING THERE AS DEEPER LIFT AND MOISTURE SUFFICIENT FOR DENDRITE

FORMATION IS NOT PRESENT. RADAR AND SFC OBS TRENDS ALSO SHOW VERY

LOW REFLECTIVITY AND VERY LIGHT PRECIP OVER NRN AL AND ERN TN.

ODDS FOR ANY TRAVEL PROBLEMS DECREASING EVEN MORE. EVEN HIGHER

ELEVATIONS ARE WARMING ESP IN NE MOUNTAINS...BRASSTOWN BALD RAWS

AT 3300FT IS 35/34 WHILE COHUTTA RAWS AT 1800FT IN MURRAY COUNTY IS

29/29 CURRENTLY. WILL UPDATE SPS SHORTLY.

SNELSON

Currently sitting at 33.3 with a DP of 28. My DP has been steadily dropping all morning from a high of around 32 at 7am. I'm liking the precip headed up 85 currently toward CLT. Hopefully once it reached here we can score a little sleet/snow out of it!

Either way good luck everyone! Hopefully someone in NC is able to score something out of this.

Just wanted to wish everyone good luck. I have a bike ride scheduled for this morning and have to take the kids out Christmas shopping this afternoon so won't be online much. If nothing else it'll be nice to see the flakes in the air so close to Christmas.

Archived