EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Weekend Storm Disco/Obs (Dec 18th & 19th) ---> Part 2

WeatherNC

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a senior at NCSU...so not in your class but we go to the same school...guitar.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifpimp.gifaarambo.gifnerdsmiley.pngclap.gifweight_lift.gif

Where to you go to school? There's only three meteorology schools in NC, I think, so it's not out of the realm of possibility you go to NCSU! And, if you're a freshman then you're in the same class I am.

Wisping cirrus from the west over a waxing moon here in Pitt county. Talked to a couple other locals and they noticed, as did I, a halo around the moon earlier as a result of ul moisture. Given a 25/25 at the airport and 24.3 imby, one would think that is promising going forward :axe: . Not likely to happen here though, <10%. My non-visual graphic paints a line from Elizabeth City to Rocky Mount, then south on 95 towards Benson. Points to the west of that by 50 miles stand the best chance of accum.

For those watching radar, if I was in western NC, I would be watching the batch coming up through Birmingham AL, and whatever builds to the nw of that. For those in the central part of the state, keep an eye on the trends to the west, as well as the flow through the FL panhandle, se AL, and the western half of GA.

Snippet from NWS-GSP:

"THE SECOND THING TO CONSIDER IS IF THE EASTERN ZONES WILL SEE A

PERIOD OF HEAVIER SNOW TOMORROW AFTERNOON AND EVENING. IT CERTAINLY

LOOKS POSSIBLE. 4 OR SO OF THE 21 UTC SREF MEMBERS HAVE ACCUMULATING

SNOW AT CHARLOTTE...WITH A FEW MORE MEMBERS NOW AT LEAST GENERATING

SOME SNOWFALL...IF NOT ACCUMULATIONS. I HAVE A COUPLE TENTHS OF AN

INCH OF ACCUMULATION IN THE GRIDS ACROSS THE I-77 CORRIDOR FOR TMRW

AS I THINK THERE WILL BE A BRIEF PERIOD WITH STRONG ENOUGH UVVS TO

CHANGE RAIN OVER TO SNOW AND HAVE IT STICK A LITTLE. THIS IS FROM A

GOOD CROSSHAIR SIGNATURE ON THE NAM AND GFS BUFKIT SOUNDINGS AT

CHARLOTTE IN THE LATE AFTN. THE 18 UTC GFS...HOWEVER...WAS QUITE

DRY. IF THE 00 UTC RUN COMES IN A LITTLE WETTER AND

COLDER...ACCUMULATIONS MAY NEED TO BE BUMPED UP A LITTLE. OVER THE

UPSTATE THE LLVLS STAY TOO WARM FOR MORE THAN A RAIN/SNOW MIX...AT

LEAST THE WAY THINGS LOOK NOW."

Well worded and with what they are dealing with, you could not ask for a better approach, per their FD.

Brandon (HKYWx),

You may be in for more of a surprise in the way of accumulating snowfall.

Yeah...my eyes are on the bands south of the FL panhandle...they appear to be moderate and increasing in size...they definitely need to be watched...I might have to get a nap here and check back in a few...

Wisping cirrus from the west over a waxing moon here in Pitt county. Talked to a couple other locals and they noticed, as did I, a halo around the moon earlier as a result of ul moisture. Given a 25/25 at the airport and 24.3 imby, one would think that is promising going forward :axe: . Not likely to happen here though, <10%. My non-visual graphic paints a line from Elizabeth City to Rocky Mount, then south on 95 towards Benson. Points to the west of that by 50 miles stand the best chance of accum.

For those watching radar, if I was in western NC, I would be watching the batch coming up through Birmingham AL, and whatever builds to the nw of that. For those in the central part of the state, keep an eye on the trends to the west, as well as the flow through the FL panhandle, se AL, and the western half of GA.

Agreed...I think those radars have the sensitivity turned up to VERY HIGH levels...I have noticed this too throughout the years of watching that radar...

That's well and good but the Intellicast map does nobody any service. It always makes things look way more active than they actually are and leads to high weenie suicide rates.

0.07 for the event at RDU but there's no way that'd stick...almost at 4c sfc temps to start which never drop below freezing.

Worse than the GFS and NAM. To think that yesterday it was giving us an inch liquid, mostly snow. I just can't believe that the Euro could be so wrong in the short range.

Worse than the GFS and NAM. To think that yesterday it was giving us an inch liquid, mostly snow. I just can't believe that the Euro could be so wrong in the short range.

Not sure how much you have paid attention, but it was giving me a big snow up here on Long Island as well as every other model and they all shifted east on the 00z runs. Its been model mayhem with this system from the get go.

Anyone have any info on the 00z Euro?

hr 12 has a 1016 lp off the SC/NC coast, light precip across Ga., SC, and SE NC...hr 18 has a 1012 at panhandle Fl, precip still light in Ga., SC, and light precip making its way into RDU area, still no precip in Cha. yet...hr 24 has a 1012 lp off Wilmington, heavier precip in eastern third of NC, light precip back towards Cha., 850's look to warm, still light precip in SC/Ga....hr 30 precip edge right at RDU and 850's look to finally be cold enough and moisture is leaving...hr 36 there is a 1008 lp off the NC coast but to far OTS, some light precip over eastern NC.

EDIT: Sorry Queencity I didn't know you have already replied.

Not always the best idea to use a global model at this time range as there could be spin up issues with precipitation..etc.

Globals outside of 48 to get the general flavor, which we all know... Regionals inside that window with a global blend. Regionals (high res), namely RUC, NAM and various WRFs, in addition to nowcasting given a marginal type event inside 30 hrs.

Archived