joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Storm Disco/Obs (Dec 18th & 19th) ---> Part 2

WeatherNC

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While we're in bashing mode, check out the RAH forecast for Greensboro.

Saturday: A slight chance of snow after 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 39. East wind between 3 and 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Saturday Night: A slight chance of snow before 1am, then a slight chance of rain or freezing rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. Light northeast wind. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Why would it change from snow to rain or freezing rain tomorrow night after 1 am? Am I missing something or is that as bad as I think?

TW

Radar our west seems like it's over performing in Tn.....don't think that will mean much for us but it's interesting to see. Not too impressed with the 00z NAM though. Gotta wait and see how things go in the morning. Looking forward to the GFS but this close to the event it's kind of pointless. Maybe we can pull a rabbit out of our hat tomorrow.

Saturday: A slight chance of snow after 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 39. East wind between 3 and 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Saturday Night: A slight chance of snow before 1am, then a slight chance of rain or freezing rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. Light northeast wind. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Why would it change from snow to rain or freezing rain tomorrow night after 1 am? Am I missing something or is that as bad as I think?

TW

RAH did a pretty good job on there AFD today about why they would call that. Of course this was before the 18z NAM did what it did....and why should they change just based off of one run?

TW

similar to the one from ffc - with only a 20% chance whats the point anyway. a dozen raindrops v. a dozen snowflakes

after reading dacula just checked and i am down a couple of degrees now to 37.2

TW

I believe the answer is after a certain time the snow growth region drys out, but there is still enough low level moisture that might produce light freezing drizzle/rain. I reserve the right to be wrong! :)

i wasnt defending them completely, sorry if it seemed like it. i just know i wasnt convinced that i would see anything here (i was also really busy at work and didnt realize what was happening in atlanta until later in the afternoon, although i do agree with what i saw happening in alabama ffc should have been paying more attention)

remember, it didnt start here until dinner time! i just think that one was a really close call and hard to forecast cos a degree either way would make a difference. it had been so long since i had ice that i forgot just what .10" can do! that amount usually doesnt stick to the pavement in ga (even in the huge dec 05 ice storm, travel was impossible with trees and power lines. there were icy patches on the road, but it wasnt completely glazed over like wed/thur)

pls see above lol. also, kirk mellish is really good and i read him and his thoughts seem to match what a lot of others were. i didnt know it started in the morning, i thought it didnt start until about 4 in atl (rush hour). i heard an hour or two of reports from atl, then it started here so i switched into mby weenie mode :guitar:

i retract my statement :ph34r:

Again, Everything was pretty obvious including when I was ranting Wednesday Morning at 6am on this matter. They ignored everything. Even when accidents were causing fatalities in Montgomery Al. They were more worried about seeing 12z models!? It was not nearly as hard of a forecast as your saying it was. Was def. not that close. Then being stubborn about warning the public made it worse.

Kirk Mellish is a complete Joke. I can no longer even try to put him in a category like that after he literally got caught a few weeks back at talkweather.com actually Stealing another met on that boards thoughts and ideas about model hugging and reading copy and pasting it and using at his own without changing obvious stuff that kind of gave it away. Pretty much busted. Ouch..

I believe the answer is after a certain time the snow growth region drys out, but there is still enough low level moisture that might produce light freezing drizzle/rain. I reserve the right to be wrong! :)

OKay, I can understand that. However, they should have said freezing drizzle which is VERY common in the above scenario.

TW

Foothills....that is a very conservative map. Probably the right call, but I would have gone with more precip back this way just based off radar trends to our west and southwest.

that stuff in Tenn and Ark is forecast to peter out. New band will probably form in Alabama, but the gist of all this is "not much" and very spotty, until it begins consolidating in central and southern NC from CLT and much of eastern 2/3 of SC. Nothing really organized until east in th Carolinas. It looks like about what I thought the radar would look, but i'm watching to see if anything in Alabama organizes, but it shouldn't until early tmorrow anyway. All in all, still not impressed except for the RDU area and northeast of there, maybe some pockets of 1" southwest of there but east of CLT.

Hmmmm...at 24 is a low popping off around CAE? I'm still horrible at reading the maps.

That would be the 850, which we have seen hints of for the past 48, and aiding waa into the Coastal Plain. Question is, can it survive to the coast and deepen, or does it get lost around Fayetteville, only to strengthen once offshore. Big implications here, even more so for the center of the state.

Hmmmm...at 24 is a low popping off around CAE? I'm still horrible at reading the maps. Looks like some heavier moisture just appeared around there to CLT.

a weak 850 low forms over my house at 21 z :lol: The model has been back and forth with that feature. Still doesn't drop any thing here though, and my temps are +.5for most of the "event" Charlotte is above zero as well til after 18z.

Birmingham NWS now mentioning "moderate snow" possible. Any mets want to chime in?

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BIRMINGHAM AL

945 PM CST FRI DEC 17 2010

.UPDATE...OVERNIGHT AND SATURDAY MORNING WEATHER.

&&

.DISCUSSION...

NEW NAM MODEL HAS ARRIVED AND IT IS WETTER AND COLDER THAN PREVIOUS

RUNS. THE MAIN PLAYER IN THE NAM MODEL ACROSS CENTRAL ALABAMA IS

UPPER LEVEL FRONTOGENETIC FORCING. THE PREMISE IS THAT STRONGER

FORCING WILL CAUSE HEAVY PCPN AND FORCE THE SOUNDING TO SATURATE

DOWN TO THE SURFACE NEAR THE ZERO DEGREE ISOTHERM...THUS ELIMINATING

ANY WARM NOSE. I AM NOT CONFIDENT TO THROW ALL MY CARDS IN ON THIS

SCENARIO...BUT INCLINED TO STEP AWAY FROM THE FREEZING RAIN PCPN AND

GO MORE WITH A RAIN/SNOW MIXTURE. HOWEVER...THERE WILL BE SOME

LOCATIONS NORTH OF I-20 THAT WILL HAVE TEMPERATURES NEAR OR JUST

BELOW FREEZING...AND ANY SNOW WILL BE WET DUE TO SOUNDING NEAR ZERO

ISOTHERM...AND IT COULD FREEZE ONCE IT LANDS ON ELEVATED SURFACES.

A MAJORITY OF THE AREA WILL STAY JUST ABOVE THE CRITICAL 32 DEGREE

MARK WHICH IS WHY I AM NOT GOING WITH ANY ADVISORY AT THIS TIME.

IF NAM DOES VERIFY...THERE VERY WELL COULD BE A 2-4 HOUR PERIOD OF

MODERATE SNOW ALONG THE I-20 CORRIDOR BETWEEN 6:00 AM AND 9:00 AM

SATURDAY. STAY TUNED.

NCSNOW...based on the current radar it seems as if the waves are closer together than in the projected simulation.

I think so to, espeacilly northern wave is futher east than what Nam had progged. Wish the GFS had a Sims I could use to line up with it's output. The current radar makes it look worse than the Nam iMO. It has the Northern wave way futher back than where the radar is indicating it is at the current moment.

:)

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT...CORRECTED SPELLING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

1048 PM EST FRI DEC 17 2010

NCZ033-048>053-058-059-062>065-501>510-181100-

AVERY-MADISON-YANCEY-MITCHELL-SWAIN-HAYWOOD-BUNCOMBE-GRAHAM-

NORTHERN JACKSON-MACON-SOUTHERN JACKSON-TRANSYLVANIA-HENDERSON-

CALDWELL MOUNTAINS-GREATER CALDWELL-BURKE MOUNTAINS-GREATER BURKE-

MCDOWELL MOUNTAINS-EASTERN MCDOWELL-RUTHERFORD MOUNTAINS-

GREATER RUTHERFORD-POLK MOUNTAINS-EASTERN POLK-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWLAND...SPRUCE PINE...CHEROKEE...

WAYNESVILLE...ASHEVILLE...SYLVA...FRANKLIN...BREVARD...

HENDERSONVILLE...LENOIR...MORGANTON...MARION...LAKE LURE...

RUTHERFORD...COLUMBUS

1048 PM EST FRI DEC 17 2010

...ACCUMULATING SNOW POSSIBLE ON SATURDAY...

AN UPPER LEVEL LOW WILL CROSS THE MOUNTAINS DURING THE DAY ON

SATURDAY. A BAND OF SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OVER THE

SOUTHWEST MOUNTAINS A LITTLE AFTER SUNRISE...AND THEN SPREAD

NORTHEAST ACROSS THE REST OF THE MOUNTAINS DURING THE MORNING

HOURS. SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OVER THE FOOTHILLS AROUND NOON.

UP TO AN INCH OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE ACROSS MUCH OF THIS

AREA. AS TEMPERATURES WILL FALL BELOW FREEZING ACROSS THE HIGH

TERRAIN TONIGHT...ROADS...PARTICULARLY BRIDGES AND

OVERPASSES...WILL QUICKLY BECOME SLICK AND TREACHEROUS ONCE THE

PRECIPITATION STARTS. THE SNOW SHOULD EXIT THE REGION BY LATE

AFTERNOON OR EARLY EVENIN

Archived