e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
August 2013 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much all schools started yesterday and went all day today, but there was some that let out early. Not many old buildings w/o AC left in the local area anymore. 

Still 92° out.

Storms might come this far south. Doesn't look like too high of a chance though.

972187_10151797656811760_1496509999_n.pn

Can see some over shooting tops up by GRB right now.

wisgif32.jpg

Yeah Cyclone, it got cloudy last night and it stayed like that until the early morning. Perfect way to keep the the low up as high as possible.

Of course, the severe warned storm got crushed by OFB when it tracked through cooler NE wind infested areas.  We'll see if storms spring up again as the front passes through areas untouched by the OFB.

Of course, the severe warned storm got crushed by OFB when it tracked through cooler NE wind infested areas.  We'll see if storms spring up again as the front passes through areas untouched by the OFB.

That wind shift has snuck down to Sheboygan now. Thinking me might get garden variety storms if this trend continues.

Edit: Wind shift is moving faster than the NAM hires depicted.

That wind shift has snuck down to Sheboygan now. Thinking me might get garden variety storms if this trend continues.

Edit: Wind shift is moving faster than the NAM hires depicted.

I still think it's an outflow boundary from convection.  The wind shift was progged to move more north to south wasn't it?

I still think it's an outflow boundary from convection.  The wind shift was progged to move more north to south wasn't it?

It could be outflow. The air mass will likely be still marine modified. Pretty good storm leaving Appleton right now.

The storm in Outagamie County (where Appleton is located) looks like the best bet.  Just hoping for some rain and hopefully some thunder tonight to take some of the pollen out of the air along with the weak front.

If it can outrun the outflow boundary and it turns due south as it is looking to, the atmosphere gets more favorable.

The storm in Outagamie County (where Appleton is located) looks like the best bet.  Just hoping for some rain and hopefully some thunder tonight to take some of the pollen out of the air along with the weak front.

If it can outrun the outflow boundary and it turns due south as it is looking to, the atmosphere gets more favorable.

Looks like some of the storms might be trying to turn right (more SSE-ward).

88/72 here.

That cell is definitely becoming dominant and made a bit of a right turn, but will it be enough to ride the lakeshore? That would be cool to see a due south moving supercell.

Nice to see the line back building. Could ride the lakeshore. Although that is kind of rare.

Edit: Very clear gust front on radar now.

Gust front about to cross into Milwaukee County. Storms following slowly behind it. Think the storm will at least make it to Milwaukee.

The only one left in the region is the one near Fond du Lac.  At least that storm is looking healthy enough to bring some brief heavy rain and is tracking SSE.

The only one left in the region is the one near Fond du Lac.  At least that storm is looking healthy enough to bring some brief heavy rain and is tracking SSE.

That group of storms to the NW out by Green Lake don't look too bad.

Edit: I was thinking we'd see a MCS complex like the last couple nights dive to the southeast.

That group of storms to the NW out by Green Lake don't look too bad.

They're barely moving so I'm pretty sure they'll dissapate pretty soon in SC and C Wisconsin.  Per the MKX update, lack of a low level jet and a defined vort max is what is causing the storm development to be so disorganized.

Looks like this isn't really a wind shift front but a cessation of wind.  Looking at most of the sites where the front just went through, they are reporting calm conditions.

That's a fake front/outflow fading out then. Real front is probably on the other side of these storms.

Hoping to see these cells combine together in a line or form a cool pool in back of them. Maybe then they could pick up speed.

It's awful outside still.  :axe:

That's a fake front/outflow fading out then. Real front is probably on the other side of these storms.

Hoping to see these cells combine together in a line or form a cool pool in back of them. Maybe then they could pick up speed.

It's awful outside still.  :axe:

It probably is, but even back in Northern Wisconsin many sites are indicating calm winds, with the remaining ones usually NE winds.

Although the Duluth Airport has officially only set one new Maximum Temperature this month, on the 20th, the 27th marked the 13th consecutive day that Duluth reached at least 80 degrees F. The longest stretch of consecutive 80 degree days in Duluth recorded history is 15 days.

The low temperature of 77 degrees on August 25th tied for the third warmest low temperature in Duluth weather history. It was also the warmest low ever recorded in the month of August.

High-res look at how northern IL looked today baking in the heat.  Still pretty green looking.  We've dried out significantly over the last several weeks, but the copious spring/early-mid summer rains have still produced a good corn/soybean crop.  Some of the fields that were flooded and planted late with soybeans may yield lower though, due to the recent dry weather.  Overall it looks like this should be a pretty decent season for crops in this part of the corn belt.

2r6j.jpg

Cyclone, the  farmers around here are also very happy. They had good weather to get into the fields in the spring, copious rain during the prime growing season, and now good drying conditions. If it can stay dry for a few more weeks, it will end up a close to perfect year for the local farmers.

I've only caught 0.28" IMBY in the past 4 weeks, so things are really drying out here now.

Also, today's record max minimum temp at FWA is 73°. It's 76° at 6 AM at the airport, so that record looks to go down.

Nothing like stepping out onto your porch at 6 AM when it's 76/68. I always think of these mornings in Feb. when it's below zero and I'm trying to scrape the ice off of my windshield. lol

Didn't notice any fog this morning, but it is humid out still. A lot cooler though at 72° right now.

High will probably stand at 82°.

Edit: I Wish it would get foggy, maybe my allergies would back off today.

Our temperature is on the same pace as yesterday, but the front being on top of us is allowing moisture to pool.  The dewpoint has risen to 73 while Waterloo's dewpoint is up to 77.  

There is also no wind today, compared to the good breeze the last two days, so this is the most uncomfortable day so far.

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
800 AM EDT WED AUG 28 2013

...RECORD DAILY HIGH MINIMUM TEMPERATURE SET AT FORT WAYNE...

A RECORD HIGH MINIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 74 DEGREES WAS SET AT FORT
WAYNE TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 73 SET IN 1977.

Archived