e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
June 21-27 Severe Weather

Chicago Storm

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's everyone's thoughts on this evenings/tonight's development back out in Western Iowa? Seems like hi-res models have consistently been showing another major mcs blowing up and charging east/southeast overnight.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that something goes up to the west in Iowa, I do suspect it will track southwest of Chicago and follow the current complex through north central illinois....but who knows maybe the llj can help us out.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that something goes up to the west in Iowa, I do suspect it will track southwest of Chicago and follow the current complex through north central illinois....but who knows maybe the llj can help us out.

There's enough shear that there's a decent chance for some more mesovorticies along the leading edge of the complex.  They seem to have a tendency to steer things a bit to the left (north), so that's something to consider as well. 

There's enough shear that there's a decent chance for some more mesovorticies along the leading edge of the complex.  They seem to have a tendency to steer things a bit to the left (north), so that's something to consider as well. 

yeah, i'm not overly confident either way with the overnight evolution other than that we'll see a large and mostly non-severe heavy rain maker in the region because that's what the pattern has delivered for quite a few nights in a row. A large mature MCS diving to my southeast isn't idea but we're still bringing plenty to the table.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA

644 PM CDT TUE JUN 25 2013

.UPDATE...

ISSUED AT 644 PM CDT TUE JUN 25 2013

WITH LITTLE CONVECTION HAVING FIRED YET...HAVE UPDATED WX/POP

TRENDS IN GRIDS TO BEGIN HIGHER POPS LATER TONIGHT. A FEW STORMS

TRYING TO GET GOING ACROSS WEST CENTRAL IA...BUT NOT HAVING MUCH

LUCK. ANTICIPATE ACTIVITY TO NOW DEVELOP LATER THIS

EVENING/OVERNIGHT WITH LLJ INCREASING. HOWEVER THIS MAY CONFINE

ACTIVITY MORE TO THE EASTERN CWA WITH LLJ ORIENTED MORE TOWARD

EASTERN IA TOWARD 03-06Z. THEREFORE HAVE ADJUSTED LIKELY POPS TO

ACCOUNT FOR THIS POSSIBILITY.

Central IL storms fairly active.

0632 PM TSTM WND DMG VILLA GROVE 39.86N 88.16W
06/25/2013 DOUGLAS IL EMERGENCY MNGR

TREES AND POWER LINES BLOWN DOWN IN VILLA GROVE.

0650 PM TSTM WND GST 1 SE NEWMAN 39.79N 87.97W
06/25/2013 M63.00 MPH DOUGLAS IL TRAINED SPOTTER

MEASURED 63 MPH WIND GUST 1 MILE SE OF NEWMAN...CORN WAS
ALSO BLOWN DOWN.

Closer to home, storms gonna miss my place to the north. Not a drop of rain. Blah.

Quite a bit of damage in my hometown of Munster, Indiana from the storms yesterday evening. Row of 8-10 power poles were blown over just down the street from my mom. Trees/limbs knocked down in a relatively narrow path in the central/northern stretch of town. Whatever it was had to be producing winds upwards of 80 mph in that narrow zone. Hope to get some pics to post later.

Here are the pics.  Taken by my mom. 

Trees down.  That blue thing to the right is a large umbrella that was blown over there from the public pool that you see behind the fence.

post-14-0-03661300-1372206022_thumb.jpg

Slight damage to high school

post-14-0-20632700-1372206079_thumb.jpg

Power pole leaning near high school

post-14-0-30866500-1372206187_thumb.jpg

Tree and other branches down

post-14-0-53461300-1372206281_thumb.jpg

Power poles down in background.  You only see a few of the 8+ that were blown down.

post-14-0-03428600-1372206337_thumb.jpg

Supposedly lots of trees/large branches down on the more residential streets.

Central IL storms fairly active.

0632 PM TSTM WND DMG VILLA GROVE 39.86N 88.16W

06/25/2013 DOUGLAS IL EMERGENCY MNGR

TREES AND POWER LINES BLOWN DOWN IN VILLA GROVE.

0650 PM TSTM WND GST 1 SE NEWMAN 39.79N 87.97W

06/25/2013 M63.00 MPH DOUGLAS IL TRAINED SPOTTER

MEASURED 63 MPH WIND GUST 1 MILE SE OF NEWMAN...CORN WAS

ALSO BLOWN DOWN.

Closer to home, storms gonna miss my place to the north. Not a drop of rain. Blah.

Wow my father lives in Villa grove.

Was just noticing that myself. Looks like things trying to get going there. The next few scans might tell the tale.

I'm also wondering if the storms currently sw of PIA arching up to Burlington might develop northeastward and be of interest to northeastern IL as the evening progresses and the LLJ develops.

I'm also wondering if the storms currently sw of PIA arching up to Burlington might develop northeastward and be of interest to northeastern IL as the evening progresses and the LLJ develops.

I don't think so.  Looks like a long night for training for the Champaign area.

Disturbance in Iowa is getting close and should also track along the I74 corridor 

Most likely. Increasingly agitated CU from that W. IL activity up into NE. IA. ...and another area in C. IA.

Archived