joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 21-27 Severe Weather

Chicago Storm

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly look to have a lot of instability to work with. Pattern is such that it may be difficult to pick out a higher end threat well in advance but it wouldn't be all that surprising to see a mod risk type event or two.

Completely agree, along the edge of instability there is actually pretty decent wind shear. The only thing I would be worried about is if the stationary boundary lifts into Canada, which could put the MCS action north of the border and into New England, I don't think this is a likely solution but one on the table.

My guess is Central Wisconsin will be around where the warm front stalls, so from S Minnesota into La Crosse and Green Bay will probably see plenty of action, I hope it trends south though.

I think that's a little optimistically far south.  Ridge strength looks impressive so wagons north.

I think that's a little optimistically far south.  Ridge strength looks impressive so wagons north.

Sure but as with any warm front, I would think the same rule applies with MCS' pushing the warm front south at times.  The GFS is north, but its ensembles and the Euro support a further south solution for the most part (south of Rhinelander).

DTX been biting hard on convective potential for a while now

A SIGNIFICANT TRANSITION IN THE LOCAL WX WILL THEN COMMENCE FROM
SATURDAY ONWARD AS MID-LEVEL WESTERLIES EMERGE ACROSS THE
NORTHERN TIER IN RESPONSE TO THE COLLAPSE OF THE MID-LEVEL RIDGE.
THIS WILL ALLOW A MOIST AND HUMID AIRMASS TO SPILL INTO THE REGION
WHICH SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM YIELDING HIGH TEMPERATURES NEAR 90
DEGREES ALONG WITH UPPER 60S/LOW 70S DEWPOINTS. GIVEN SOUTHEAST
MICHIGAN`S PROGGED FAVORABLE LOCATION ALONG THE INSTABILITY
GRADIENT AND NOSE OF THE VEERING LOW-LEVEL JET ON SATURDAY, HAVE
NO ARGUMENT WITH THE ECMWF`S SUGGESTION OF A CONVECTIVE COMPLEX
IMPACTING THE AREA ON SAT, PARTICULARLY GIVEN THE EXCELLENT
CONTINUITY OBSERVED IN RECENT CYCLES. WITH THIS IN MIND, LEANED
HEAVILY TOWARD A CONSERVATIVE HIGH TEMPERATURE FORECAST, AROUND 80
DEGREES, FOR SATURDAY.

THE RESERVOIR OF INSTABILITY AND ASSOCIATED SEVERE POTENTIAL WILL
CONTINUE TO BUILD SUNDAY INTO TUESDAY AS A ROBUST ZONALLY-ORIENTED
EML RIBBON BECOMES INCREASINGLY WELL-ESTABLISHED ACROSS THE GREAT
LAKES. PER THE USUAL, THIS WILL ALSO INTRODUCE STOUT MID-LEVEL
CAPPING AS EVIDENCED BY 00Z ECMWF 850MB TEMPS EXCEEDING 20C BY 00Z
MONDAY EVENING. AS A RESULT, BOTH HOT TEMPERATURES AND SEVERE
CONVECTIVE POTENTIAL WILL BE IN PLAY FOR SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN FROM
SUNDAY ONWARD. ALSO WORTH NOTING IS THAT MOIST BOUNDARY LAYER
CONDITIONS WILL LIMIT OVERNIGHT LOWS TO THE 70S

yeah...looks like we might be too deep into the ridge in this area this round...although izzi did at least throw a bone to the euro to keep an eye on trends there...which seems logical at this point

We'll know by thursday night or friday morning...if the initial action can push south we might just stay in the game but if it's north, go ahead and punt on the whole weekend.

LOT & MKE still favoring north/drier solutions and I very much agree.

And then DVN tends to agree with the Euro based on their last two discussions.  I'm still taking a middle ground approach, and if MCS' develop the next couple nights, the warm frontal position will probably be shunted further south than the GFS is currently showing this weekend.

And then DVN tends to agree with the Euro based on their last two discussions.  I'm still taking a middle ground approach, and if MCS' develop the next couple nights, the warm frontal position will probably be shunted further south than the GFS is currently showing this weekend.

I think it's a fair guess that places like Sheboygan to Green Bay are in line for some good t-storm activity, but I would not expect it to be much further south. 

If an MCS were to push through central WI and then another one hot on it's heals, then I could see the second one coming a bit further south into the MKX cwa. 

NAM favors north.

It would be nice if we got one MCS before the ridge expands. Looks drier around here like ALEK said.

NAM_221_2013061912_F72_PCPIN_72_HR.png

We'll see if that MCS gets that far se.  SPC seems more confident for the Great Lakes in the extended outlook.

BEYOND D4...THERE IS REASONABLY CONSISTENT AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE   ECMWF/GFS/CMC AND ECMWF/GEFS ENSEMBLE MEANS WITH THE LARGE-SCALE   PATTERN EVOLUTION OF A RETROGRADING UPPER-LEVEL ANTICYCLONE BECOMING   CENTERED OVER THE SOUTHWEST NEAR THE END OF THE PERIOD. THIS SHOULD   EVENTUALLY SHIFT PRIMARY FOCUS FOR ORGANIZED SEVERE POTENTIAL FROM   THE NRN PLAINS/UPPER MS VALLEY...TO THE E/SE ACROSS THE GREAT   LAKES/MIDWEST/OH VALLEY.

We'll see if that MCS gets that far se.  SPC seems more confident for the Great Lakes in the extended outlook.

BEYOND D4...THERE IS REASONABLY CONSISTENT AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE   ECMWF/GFS/CMC AND ECMWF/GEFS ENSEMBLE MEANS WITH THE LARGE-SCALE   PATTERN EVOLUTION OF A RETROGRADING UPPER-LEVEL ANTICYCLONE BECOMING   CENTERED OVER THE SOUTHWEST NEAR THE END OF THE PERIOD. THIS SHOULD   EVENTUALLY SHIFT PRIMARY FOCUS FOR ORGANIZED SEVERE POTENTIAL FROM   THE NRN PLAINS/UPPER MS VALLEY...TO THE E/SE ACROSS THE GREAT   LAKES/MIDWEST/OH VALLEY.

yeah, things certainly look to get more favorable beyond this weekend.

And even today's day one for general t storms now has a bulge as far east as me in Elkhart, IN.  Will definitely be interesting to see where these complexes set up each night from now till mid week. Some of my most spectacular t storms have come from these complexes.

The best storms are the high PW boomer MCSs

Archived