Newest Member
    EWR757
June 21-27 Severe Weather

Chicago Storm

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, Chambana, that's impressive!

Storms in NW Iowa have potential to grow?

Sounds of uncertainty in the last LOT AFD.

THE DECAYING STORMS OVER NORTHEAST IL AND
REMNANT CLOUDS MAY ALSO LEAVE A BOUNDARY THAT COULD FOCUS NEW
STORM GROWTH IN THE AFTERNOON. THE MORNING ACTIVITY MAY ALSO SERVE
TO STABILIZE THINGS A BIT LONGER OVER NORTHEAST IL. STILL MUCH
UNCERTAINTY BUT WILL KEEP POPS AROUND 20-40 PERCENT ACROSS THE
FORECAST AREA FOR THE REST OF TODAY. HAVE ALSO TWEAKED
TEMPERATURES DOWN A BIT...ESPECIALLY NORTHEAST IL. EXPECT
SOUTHERLY WINDS TO REDEVELOP AFTER THE MORNING OUTFLOW DIMINISHES
AND DAYTIME HEATING KICKS IN. NOT ANTICIPATING A LAKE BREEZE BUT
IF STORMS REDEVELOP TODAY WINDS COULD FLUCTUATE AND/OR COME IN OFF
THE LAKE FOR A TIME. AREAS IN THE FAR SOUTHERN PART OF THE FORECAST
ARE MOST LIKELY TO REACH 90 WHILE NEAR THE WI BORDER OR IN AREAS
IMPACTED BY STORMS TEMPS MAY ONLY REACH LOW 80S. WITH SURFACE DEW
POINTS IN THE UPPER 60S TO LOWER 70S THERE WILL BE SUFFICIENT
LOW LEVEL INSTABILITY FOR THE POTENTIAL OF LOCALLY HEAVY
DOWNPOURS...SMALL HAIL...AND GUSTY WINDS. HOWEVER WITH 0-6 KM BULK
SHEAR RATHER WEAK AND FAIRLY WARM AIR ALOFT...NOT ANTICIPATING
ORGANIZED SEVERE WEATHER TODAY...OR THE NEXT COUPLE DAYS...AS PER
SPC OUTLOOKS.

Was just spotting in southern Huntington Co., watching a pulse storm. It collapsed right over me. Got penny sized hail, zero visibility and an estimated 65 mph gust. I was sitting in a cemetery and watched the shingles come off of the entire side of the office of the cemetery. I then checked the a area for damage and found several healthy trees broken or uprooted, a 40' x 50' section of roof off of a confined feeding barn, and a couple of doors blown off of steel barns.

This damage was all in a 2 square mile area. Quite the microburst, exciting stuff.

Looks like DDL will have the stormiest night of those in this subforum.  Maybe a chance that storms will develop for Madison and Milwaukee, but any further south is questionable.

Yeah most likely. The RAP does turn the cells more easterly later on.

Those are some monster cells popping there. The sun is now out here. Wonder if its too late to increase instability.

Dewpoint is creeping up here with filtered sun. Maybe the LLJ can provide some storm support again tonight.

Yeah most likely. The RAP does turn the cells more easterly later on.

Dewpoint is creeping up here with filtered sun. Maybe the LLJ can provide some storm support again tonight.

The development just north of Madison is what I'll be keeping an eye on.  They're moving easterly to start, perhaps they will buck the trend and start shifting south of due east?

It was odd, seeing storms move from north to south. Ugh, all this moisture, on top of maturing corn, dew points could be hit 70, models showing lower 90s. Looks like that low gets pushed back north, northwestward tomorrow, should keep us storm free.

It's been nice having these hot temps, but the lack of sunshine upsets me.

It was odd, seeing storms move from north to south. Ugh, all this moisture, on top of maturing corn, dew points could be hit 70, models showing lower 90s. Looks like that low gets pushed back north, northwestward tomorrow, should keep us storm free.

It's been nice having these hot temps, but the lack of sunshine upsets me.

Well just be thankful you don't live in Milwaukee or Traverse City or a like climate.  I don't mind it since I'm not a heat lover, but for those who love the heat, they are not good places to live at all.

Well just be thankful you don't live in Milwaukee or Traverse City or a like climate.  I don't mind it since I'm not a heat lover, but for those who love the heat, they are not good places to live at all.

Where abouts do you live in Wisconsin? I took trip up the mississippi through western illinois, all the way up to superior, hitting all the state parks on my way up. Wisconsin is beautiful. Would love to go snowmobiling sometime in the winter up there. Heard its wicked fun.

Where abouts do you live in Wisconsin? I took trip up the mississippi through western illinois, all the way up to superior, hitting all the state parks on my way up. Wisconsin is beautiful. Would love to go snowmobiling sometime in the winter up there. Heard its wicked fun.

Just west of Milwaukee, the immediate western suburb, so I am close enough to Lake Michigan to feel the effects of the lake breeze (mostly good, except when it stabilizes the atmosphere for incoming convection).

I would think the cold pool will drive it to at least Racine. Probably down this far at some point.

Like the Milwaukee area, your area will be spared from convection thanks (or no thanks) to the easterly flow.  See that batch of storms hit the fan between Milwaukee and Madison?  That's the dry east flow and the OFB racing out ahead of it.  Ironically, that same OFB will actually probably warm us up as our winds will shift back west most likely.  Pretty much the worst of both worlds, but oh well.

Like the Milwaukee area, your area will be spared from convection thanks (or no thanks) to the easterly flow.  See that batch of storms hit the fan between Milwaukee and Madison?  That's the dry east flow and the OFB racing out ahead of it.  Ironically, that same OFB will actually probably warm us up as our winds will shift back west most likely.  Pretty much the worst of both worlds, but oh well.

Yeah the onshore flow is a pain in this case. Will probably get some more rain tonight nonetheless. 

Yeah the onshore flow is a pain in this case. Will probably get some more rain tonight nonetheless. 

I don't think rain, look what happened, even the moderate to heavy rain shriveled up from those stronger storms.  Until the OFB moves through and perhaps shift the winds back west, the convection to the west will probably either train or push slowly south.

Archived