joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 10-14 Severe/Flooding Wx - Obs, Radar, Warnings, Dmg. rpts

wxmeddler

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Visible rotation in a wall cloud on the storm directly E of my house right now, somewhere around Centreville.  Can't really see it on radar but it is very visible from where I stand

LWX radar does seem to suggest some weak rotation in W Fairfax County... but too close to radar site to pick up

I've been watching that too. Some impressive cloud structures for these parts.

that storm looks supercellish tho it has weird structure on radar. might be seeing the rotating updraft.

LWX radar does seem to suggest some weak rotation in W Fairfax County... but too close to radar site to pick up

After it passed here, it merged with another storm that had been moving parallel just to the E of the rotating portion, and then it weakened.  Was exciting to see the rotation visually for a minute or two, anyway, though it didn't drop anything that I could see (but it was moving away from me at that point.)

Jumping ahead a bit to Thursday, it's beginning to pique my interest on the 18z GFS, with a strong s/w and a 60-65 kt H5 max with a rather rapidly deepening sfc cyclone passing over the area. Obviously previous convection from Wednesday will be a concern (although that may also setup boundaries), but the wind fields look pretty impressive.

500 mb.

7G4xgzz.gif

850 mb.

GdfknWV.gif

2 m Theta-E/isotachs.
HoFxcUN.gif

Archived