• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
June 10-14 Severe/Flooding Wx - Obs, Radar, Warnings, Dmg. rpts

wxmeddler

I don't quite understand how some of the stations in my neighborhood measure the rain (there's a big discrepancy between them sometimes), but the one that seems more reliable is showing 2.44" (the other shows 1.92"). Wife's-breast-pump-vial method shows around 2.75". This despite the fact that my neighborhood mostly missed out on the line that came through at around 3.

I'd say many factors could come into play on discrepancies. i.e near/under tall trees, rain shadow from a house or large structure, or perhaps the gauge itself isn't very accurate. I have two stations and one always runs considerably lower than the other.

Only had 0.32" of rain today and the majority of that came from the rain that moved through early this morning..

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One last one for the day...

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  TORNADO WARNING  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC  930 PM EDT MON JUN 10 2013    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A    * TORNADO WARNING FOR...    EASTERN ST. MARYS COUNTY IN SOUTHERN MARYLAND...    * UNTIL 1000 PM EDT    * AT 929 PM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A    TORNADO WAS 6 MILES SOUTHWEST OF SAINT MARYS RIVER...OR NEAR PINEY    POINT...AND WAS MOVING NORTHEAST AT 35 MPH.    * LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...    SAINT MARYS CITY...    SAINT MARYS RIVER...    LEXINGTON PARK...    PATUXENT RIVER NAS...

I'd say many factors could come into play on discrepancies. i.e near/under tall trees, rain shadow from a house or large structure, or perhaps the gauge itself isn't very accurate. I have two stations and one always runs considerably lower than the other.

Only had 0.32" of rain today and the majority of that came from the rain that moved through early this morning..

Yeah...good point. It's pretty obvious sometimes that the reported measurements are quite low.

Either way, we've had a lot of rain in the last five days.

camera pic of the discrete thingy in front of the line.. some of the best base structure I've seen here. of course it started pouring about two seconds later so i didn't get many shots. 

post-1615-0-23247300-1370916974_thumb.jp

Oh I know... but it looks so nice... closing in on 4000 SBCAPE and 3000 MLCAPE... LI -7... Hail near 2"... 45 kts 0-6km shear... decent ML Lapse rates... it looks so tasteh

still not sure it looks like a derecho at least this far east. models have continued to like the idea of a developing surface low passing pretty close by.. some with the heaviest rain displaced either north or west of the low. this has a very solid 500mb vort.  around here it looks like a potential legit tornado event tho perhaps it will morph into the derecho everyone's excited about. i could see how it happens but not sure that's my main interest for now. 

still not sure it looks like a derecho at least this far east. models have continued to like the idea of a developing surface low passing pretty close by.. some with the heaviest rain displaced either north or west of the low. this has a very solid 500mb vort.  around here it looks like a potential legit tornado event tho perhaps it will morph into the derecho everyone's excited about. i could see how it happens but not sure that's my main interest for now. 

I am more looking at it as an MCS signal... with maybe some sups attached... I dont see derecho and agree with you... but i could see MCS with sups in front maybe

TORNADO WARNING
MDC019-045-110315-
/O.NEW.KAKQ.TO.W.0015.130611T0241Z-130611T0315Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WAKEFIELD VA
1041 PM EDT MON JUN 10 2013

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WAKEFIELD HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
  NORTHEASTERN DORCHESTER COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST MARYLAND...
  NORTHWESTERN WICOMICO COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST MARYLAND...

* UNTIL 1115 PM EDT

* AT 1036 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
  TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS STORM WAS LOCATED 10 MILES SOUTH OF
  CAMBRIDGE...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

* THIS DANGEROUS STORM WILL BE NEAR...
  VIENNA AROUND 1055 PM EDT.
  SHARPTOWN AROUND 1110 PM EDT.

OTHER LOCATIONS IMPACTED BY THIS DANGEROUS STORM INCLUDE MARDELA
SPRINGS...BROOKVIEW...ELDORADO AND GALESTOWN.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW. MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A
STURDY BUILDING. AVOID WINDOWS. IF IN A MOBILE HOME...A VEHICLE... OR
OUTDOORS...MOVE TO THE CLOSEST SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER AND PROTECT
YOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS.

&&

LAT...LON 3866 7573 3863 7570 3847 7569 3846 7566
      3837 7603 3847 7607
TIME...MOT...LOC 0241Z 241DEG 29KT 3844 7597

$$

I am more looking at it as an MCS signal... with maybe some sups attached... I dont see derecho and agree with you... but i could see MCS with sups in front maybe

I wouldn't totally doubt it can reach criteria especially west of the apps but the signal of a strengthening sub 1000mb low (which the GFS sorta miller b bombs after) is not something we saw at least in 08 or last yr.

If this was the Plains I'd think Wed might be a 'day before the day' too. Not sure anything will fire (maybe it probably won't) but the atmosphere gets very ripe by late Wed especially across WV and into VA.

One of the more interesting setups on models for svr I can recall. Could be a week we remember. Plus the pattern keeps unloading after.

edit: of course, timing could be big on reaching top end. i'd maybe like to see everything slow at least slightly since things tend to speed up in realtime. 

I wouldn't totally doubt it can reach criteria especially west of the apps but the signal of a strengthening sub 1000mb low (which the GFS sorta miller b bombs after) is not something we saw at least in 08 or last yr.

If this was the Plains I'd think Wed might be a 'day before the day' too. Not sure anything will fire (maybe it probably won't) but the atmosphere gets very ripe by late Wed especially across WV and into VA.

One of the more interesting setups on models for svr I can recall. Could be a week we remember. Plus the pattern keeps unloading after.

edit: of course, timing could be big on reaching top end. i'd maybe like to see everything slow at least slightly since things tend to speed up in realtime. 

Nice post and agree... I do wonder when the last time we had a sub 1000mb low moving through PA area for us for severe in summer months...  00z NAM brings whatever the complex is in around 20-21z it would seem based off the h5 charts... so that gives us a good amount of time for heating and pretty much is peak svr time period for us... but as you said the models may speed up a bit... anything after 2 is usually fine here, I think '08 was around 3PM or so and we all got blasted...

00z NAM sounding for KIAD at 63 (15z THUR) is kinda ridiculous

I only read that part and I am accepting that as your forecast. :lol:

I only read that part and I am accepting that as your forecast. :lol:

it's possible it's just a mcs/derecho and i'm looking too hard. i mean, that's interesting enough... but it's pretty close to how a higher end tornado outbreak might come together around here. of course i think part of that sfc low "bombing" is phasing from the northern stream as it gets around the lakes/northeast.. so perhaps that's not a good thing to bank on happening.  of course a mcs/derecho could just cold pool at 1200 miles an hour as well. 

it's possible it's just a mcs/derecho and i'm looking too hard. i mean, that's interesting enough... but it's pretty close to how a higher end tornado outbreak might come together around here. of course i think part of that sfc low "bombing" is phasing from the northern stream as it gets around the lakes/northeast.. so perhaps that's not a good thing to bank on happening.  of course a mcs/derecho could just cold pool at 1200 miles an hour as well. 

At least it is not 7+ days away :)

I'm just glad to have something to watch to keep me from dying of boredom. Maybe I'd actually get off my lazy bum to get some pictures if something big happened. 

Archived