• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
June 10-14 Severe/Flooding Wx - Obs, Radar, Warnings, Dmg. rpts

wxmeddler

Yeah it's ridiculous. NAM has it far enough north to put us in the SWRLY LLJ. GFS is still alarming but probably the best dynamics with be closer to the VA/NC border.

this run probably tagets southeast to south central pa maybe up toward nyc, but it has pretty great soundings for the range and the region. big looping hodos.

post-1615-0-54714200-1370921296_thumb.pn

post-1615-0-13198100-1370921530_thumb.pn

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going off of the sounding posted above, some of the parameters on the NAM are fairly concerning. Still a ways away but the presence of the 992mb surface low on multiple models definitely adds to the intrigue. We can see the NAM hinting at some elevated supercell/tornadic potential near the warm front during the afternoon on Thursday here.

namNE_con_sbcape_066.gif

namNE_con_3kmehi_066.gif

this run probably tagets southeast to south central pa maybe up toward nyc, but it has pretty great soundings for the range and the region. big looping hodos.

i think nyc is too far north on this run as the wf never really gets there at the surface.there is a nice mucape axis that gets pretty far north so I'm sure the severe threat would extend there but the surface based threat and big time threat for rotation and sfc wind damage would probably not extend much farther n than trenton. you can see the sfc low redeveloping near or just s of nyc's latitude here:

http://climate.cod.edu/data/forecast/NAM/00/NE/namNE_sfc_temp_069.gif

i think nyc is too far north on this run as the wf never really gets there at the surface.there is a nice mucape axis that gets pretty far north so I'm sure the severe threat would extend there but the surface based threat and big time threat for rotation and sfc wind damage would probably not extend much farther n than trenton. you can see the sfc low redeveloping near or just s of nyc's latitude here:

http://climate.cod.edu/data/forecast/NAM/00/NE/namNE_sfc_temp_069.gif

yeah you might be right.. it looked north of my initial "target" but the soundings got better up there. ;) it is close on this run for a while i think but prob south as you note.

attachicon.gifNAM_218_2013061100_F66_40.0000N_75.5000W.png

attachicon.gifNAM_218_2013061100_F69_41.0000N_74.0000W.png

NYC could have a temp inversion and SE wind out of that setup even if the NAM doesn't show it.  Sorry I was too lazy to look at the exact soundings though.

Skew-T for GFS has 4000+ CAPE and 3-4 EHI and a lapse rate of 7.5-8.5. If the models hold on track tomorrow nights numbers will be interesting. 

Agreed, the looped hodographs are certainly impressive, and in an event where lapse rates are modeled to be impressive, the chips are on the table for a potential noteworthy event. The distance from the warm front is important, but if a sub 1000mb low is headed INVOF the KUNV area, then the severe potential is there. Those talking derecho definitely are just jumping more on the public hype train, as the airmass isn't nearly as impressive as the 6/29/12 event. Nevertheless, I like the backing winds closer to the warm front, and the impressive parameters elsewhere. Multiple modes of severe weather could be possible, and a legitimate trigger lies nearby. Stick around the next few days, this one has some potential. 

For some giggles... I decided to look at the UKIE/GGEM for Thursday to see what they did with the low....

UKIE decides to roll a 997 L right through SE PA (72 hrs) from NW PA (60 hrs) as the day progresses

GGEM says screw that... I want a 1003 L in N WV at 66 to a 999 L right over DC at 72

This would give some credence to the GFS... and suggest to me the NAM may be a bit too far north in its placement of the SLP... but the strength looks pretty even on all 4 models

For some giggles... I decided to look at the UKIE/GGEM for Thursday to see what they did with the low....

UKIE decides to roll a 997 L right through SE PA (72 hrs) from NW PA (60 hrs) as the day progresses

GGEM says screw that... I want a 1003 L in N WV at 66 to a 999 L right over DC at 72

This would give some credence to the GFS... and suggest to me the NAM may be a bit too far north in its placement of the SLP... but the strength looks pretty even on all 4 models

Sucks the NAM is supposed to be our best model for convective type situations and it just sucks in general. 

Sucks the NAM is supposed to be our best model for convective type situations and it just sucks in general. 

Well the NAM could be right.... I was just taking a peek at the GGEM/UKIE to see what they did with the low and at what strength as I await the new Day 2 before bed :axe:

Well the NAM could be right.... I was just taking a peek at the GGEM/UKIE to see what they did with the low and at what strength as I await the new Day 2 before bed :axe:

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:

Maybe but, I doubt it. Ya that is what I am waiting for too. Sadly I will probably then stay up for day 3 as well. 

well no SLGT risk for us Day 2... but Day 2 is 30 shaded in a large area from W PA back to W IL

However, does mention that one or more bowing MCSs may be moving through the area and potential exists for widespread damaging winds as well as a potentially significant/widespread severe weather day in the 30 shaded region

well no SLGT risk for us Day 2... but Day 2 is 30 shaded in a large area from W PA back to W IL

Probably by day 1. Still too uncertain on how that will evolve SE Wednesday Eve. But looks like a moderate risk for the Ohio valley upcoming by afternoon day 2 or when day 2 comes day 1. Strong wording.

POTENTIALLY WIDESPREAD/SIGNIFICANT SEVERE WEATHER THREAT APPEARS TO  

BE SETTING UP FOR DAY 2/WEDNESDAY ACROSS THE RISK AREA.  

DAY 3 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK     NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0230 AM CDT TUE JUN 11 2013   VALID 131200Z - 141200Z   ...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS FROM THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION   SWWD INTO THE CENTRAL GULF COAST AREA...   ...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS ACROSS THE NRN HIGH PLAINS...   ...SYNOPSIS...   A LARGE/HIGHLY AMPLIFIED RIDGE WILL PERSIST ACROSS CENTRAL NOAM THIS   PERIOD..FLANKED BY A SLOWLY MOVING WRN U.S. TROUGH AND A MORE   RAPIDLY ADVANCING SHORT-WAVE TROUGH PROGGED TO MOVE ACROSS THE   NORTHEAST U.S. AND EVENTUALLY OFF THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST.   AT THE SURFACE...A COLD FRONT WILL PROGRESS ACROSS THE INTERMOUNTAIN   WEST AHEAD OF THE WRN UPPER SYSTEM...WHILE A COLD FRONT -- TRAILING   FROM A SURFACE LOW CROSSING THE PA VICINITY -- SHIFTS OFF THE   MID-ATLANTIC COAST BY EVENING AND TRAILS WWD INTO THE CENTRAL GULF   COAST REGION.   ...ERN MD/DE/ERN VA/NC VICINITY...   WITH THE UPPER SYSTEM AND ASSOCIATED SURFACE LOW/FRONT PROGGED TO BE   CROSSING THE APPALACHIANS DURING THE MORNING...SOME QUESTIONS EXIST   AS TO HOW FAR W AMPLE DESTABILIZATION WILL OCCUR SO AS TO SUPPORT   SEVERE POTENTIAL.  ATTM HOWEVER...IT APPEARS THAT THE PRIMARY THREAT   SHOULD BEGIN AROUND MIDDAY...AS HEATING YIELDS MODERATE   DESTABILIZATION FROM CENTRAL VA/W CENTRAL NC EWD.  ATTM...IT APPEARS   THAT A RAPIDLY INTENSIFYING/FAST-MOVING LINE OF STORMS SHOULD EVOLVE   ALONG THE FRONT AS IT MOVES E OF THE HIGHER TERRAIN -- WITH MOTION   AND INTENSITY OF THE STORMS AIDED BY 50-PLS KT WSWLY MID-LEVEL FLOW   AHEAD OF THE UPPER SYSTEM.    WITH THE FAST MOTION ANTICIPATED AND INSTABILITY EXPECTED TO BE   SUPPORTIVE OF VIGOROUS CONVECTION...30% PROBABILITY IS BEING   INTRODUCED ACROSS PARTS OF NERN NC AND ERN VA INTO THE DELMARVA   REGION -- WHERE FAIRLY WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS WILL LIKELY   OCCUR...ALONG WITH HAIL.  THE THREAT SHOULD OCCUR RELATIVELY EARLY   -- WITH THE FRONT LIKELY TO CLEAR THE CHESAPEAKE BAY BY AROUND 21Z   AND MOVE OFFSHORE SHORTLY THEREAFTER.  THREAT WILL LINGER LONGEST   ALONG TRAILING PORTIONS OF THE FRONT FARTHER TO THE SW...FROM SRN   PORTIONS OF NC WWD.

day3prob0730.gif

Archived