• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The early speculation on winter 2013-14

weathafella

Thats what we were talking about several days ago. The more skillful set comes out today.

Ha,   ...more skillful   :lol:

relative to what?   

j/k

seriously though, the few times I have dealt with those tools, they've sucked more that 50% of the time.  Imho, I think we should be collectively focusing on the other more "physical" parameters of the debate.  In quotes because ... they are more like pseudo-physical in the sense that they are intangible, but known to exist through inference. 

'Ah, what the f is he talking about?'

Well, basically we just came through a nice time length of cool ENSO, so it's time for a warm one to onset, though it hasn't yet; but the models have that happening, and that's sort of closed logic there.  It's thus supported to take place and lends some credence to neutral warm ENSO by spring.  That favors a +PNA. 

Then there's solar...    Then there's multi-decadal (-AO/EPO/NAO) sign going negative...   +AO autumn in the arctic --> -AO winter...   blah blah-blah blah-blah.  

Of course, I guess "sense" these seem to support those weeklies as described, it has to be fair to say we don't know whether the Euro is picking up on them.  Intuitively we'd have to say yes -- it would be fascinating to know exactly how those tools are parameterized.  nice.  

Anyway, having said that,  ... whether I believe in the usefulness of the Euro Weeklies or not, I think this winter is going to mean business.   

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha,   ...more skillful   :lol:

relative to what?   

j/k

seriously though, the few times I have dealt with those tools, they've sucked more that 50% of the time.  Imho, I think we should be collectively focusing on the other more "physical" parameters of the debate.  In quotes because ... they are more like pseudo-physical in the sense that they are intangible, but known to exist through inference. 

'Ah, what the f is he talking about?'

Well, basically we just came through a nice time length of cool ENSO, so it's time for a warm one to onset, though it hasn't yet; but the models have that happening, and that's sort of closed logic there.  It's thus supported to take place and lends some credence to neutral warm ENSO by spring.  That favors a +PNA. 

Then there's solar...    Then there's multi-decadal (-AO/EPO/NAO) sign going negative...   +AO autumn in the arctic --> -AO winter...   blah blah-blah blah-blah.  

Of course, I guess "sense" these seem to support those weeklies as described, it has to be fair to say we don't know whether the Euro is picking up on them.  Intuitively we'd have to say yes -- it would be fascinating to know exactly how those tools are parameterized.  nice.  

Anyway, having said that,  ... whether I believe in the usefulness of the Euro Weeklies or not, I think this winter is going to mean business.   

There are two sets of seasonal outlooks that come out. The latest is an ensemble of ECMWF and NCEP CFS which is usually the more skillful as compared to the strictly ECMWF seasonal product.

But yeah...it's early and I still put this in the "FWIW" category...but usually in September these outlooks start to mean a little more as we head closer to the cold season.

They tend to lie....

Even here in DC it's coolish tonightJerry you may get a chance to relive your 60/61 childhood, only further north with longer retention, that would be a hoot. Tell ya this teleconnections analogs ain't bad.

Tell you what Steve. We had snow otg in nj dec to mid feb. it was epic and I think you're right about what's coming. My 8th grade science project was a wx station. Easy to set up the temperature grading. The night before school it was 0F and I left it out overnight...lol. 2 days later was the February monster of 1961.

Has he ever gotten any type of forecast correct? We can't recall any. If you have a link please provide it

I don't have his exact stats in front of me, but two winters ago he was spot on for that winter. The vortex just park itself there. Obv I have no idea what's going to happen, but warm falls and a vortex scare me

Early February 1961 wasn't bad. 1971 was terrible, at least in NYC area.

Next.

My IMBY reaction:  NNE was just the opposite.  The big storms of 60-61 missed wide right or at best grazed, while 70-71 set or approached season snowfall records.  (Fortunately for me, I lived in NNJ for 60-61, where we had over 100" snowfall and record-demolishing snow depth.)

Archived