• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2013 Banter

WilkesboroDude

Looking at calculus's post in the other thread made me think, anyone else besides me has never seen actual flooding, hail, tornadoes, or thundersnow or damage to property by mother nature?

I've experienced/seen everything but a tornado.  

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprising Disc since you are one of the ones who like severe weather thought you might have been chasing before.

@NCWX you should definitely mow the law before the rain arrives and while its cool.

I've been chasing locally, but the line if sight around here sucks due to the hills and mountains. I've seen some nice rotation though, but never a full blown tornado. I'd like to make it to the plains and chase sometime in the future. 

Looking at calculus's post in the other thread made me think, anyone else besides me has never seen actual flooding, hail, tornadoes, or thundersnow or damage to property by mother nature?

Geeze, man, you need to come out of the basement every once in a while.  I've seen all that stuff in spades...maybe it's an age thing.... you are over 10 aren't you?  I saw most before I was 8 except for thundersnow when I was in my 20's.  I was in, or around tornadoes...small ones...rain wrapped.. roof rippers, tree topplers from early on.....but I finally saw one go by a ways away, I could say was rotation doing damage, and was later cataloged as a tornado, when I was in my 30's, set up in an outside art show in B'ham, lol.  Don't sell much at an outside art show when tornadoes are going by :)  Please, my friend, get outside more..you'll see some stuff :) It's happening all the time!!  T

Just got down mowing the yard, cleaning the gutters out, and digging out the culvert a little. Yard is ready for summer rains. Looks good... but with all this rain coming I will need to mow it as soon as the sun comes out.  

Geeze, man, you need to come out of the basement every once in a while. I've seen all that stuff in spades...maybe it's an age thing.... you are over 10 aren't you? I saw most before I was 8 except for thundersnow when I was in my 20's. I was in, or around tornadoes...small ones...rain wrapped.. roof rippers, tree topplers from early on.....but I finally saw one go by a ways away, I could say was rotation doing damage, and was later cataloged as a tornado, when I was in my 30's, set up in an outside art show in B'ham, lol. Don't sell much at an outside art show when tornadoes are going by :) Please, my friend, get outside more..you'll see some stuff :) It's happening all the time!! T

LOL!

Geeze, man, you need to come out of the basement every once in a while.  I've seen all that stuff in spades...maybe it's an age thing.... you are over 10 aren't you?  I saw most before I was 8 except for thundersnow when I was in my 20's.  I was in, or around tornadoes...small ones...rain wrapped.. roof rippers, tree topplers from early on.....but I finally saw one go by a ways away, I could say was rotation doing damage, and was later cataloged as a tornado, when I was in my 30's, set up in an outside art show in B'ham, lol.  Don't sell much at an outside art show when tornadoes are going by :)  Please, my friend, get outside more..you'll see some stuff :) It's happening all the time!!  T

Yeah, same here. If I was to give "in my back yard" experiences a top 5 rating as far as nerve-racking is concerned, it would look something like this:

1989 Hurricane Hugo..... 90mph winds.... no power.....dark outside.....watching power-flashes light up the sky every few seconds. Seeing all the trees up-rooted in my yard once the daylight came. Never will forget seeing all the dead birds littering the ground.

1989 F4 tornado within a few miles of the house.... I will always remember that roar... the cloud structure was incredible. Most chasers spend years hoping to see that, and I was able to stand in my front yard and watch it pass. Too bad that was before cell phone cameras

2009 Base ball sized hail....you could hear it coming from 2 miles away. sounded like thunder that got louder and louder until it was on top of us. Trees stripped of leaves and windows broken. Then the smell of pine for 2 days.

2002 December ice storm...never will forget hearing the trees sounding like gun shots and watching the power lines snap under the weight of ice.

1974 Super outbreak... NC was lucky, but I remember crouching in the halway of our school and waiting as a tornado warned cell passed over us and then hearing reports of damage in nearby areas.

Yep, 48 years in NC has given me a sample of just about everything. Although I have never seen a wildfire from my window and I pray I never do.

Douchbag comments by Wilkes but not a banable offense IMO. He is entitled to his opinion despite how arrogant or how much the douchness drips off of him.

Disagree. No one douches everyday.  No reason to put up with his crap on a daily basis. There is certainly a history of being banned for continuous irritation as well as for one major screw-up.  In fact I'd say the former is the more prevalent.

Douchbag comments by Wilkes but not a banable offense IMO. He is entitled to his opinion despite how arrogant or how much the douchness drips off of him.

Taunting a Met is banable in my opinion..... He was basically saying that Robert didn't know what he was talking about and this is not the first time he has done that to him. I can't believe you condone that.

Taunting a Met is banable in my opinion..... He was basically saying that Robert didn't know what he was talking about and this is not the first time he has done that to him. I can't believe you condone that.

I don't condone it and I'm not sure why you would say that. Should the guy be banned... Probably but not for his last comment his compilaition of work is enough imo something hes developed over a long period of time. He doesn't see flooding for NC, he's entitled to state that and if that comment came from nearly anyone else it wouldn't be seen as taunting.

I don't condone it and I'm not sure why you would say that. Should the guy be banned... Probably but not for his last comment his compilaition of work is enough imo something hes developed over a long period of time. He doesn't see flooding for NC, he's entitled to state that and if that comment came from nearly anyone else it wouldn't be seen as taunting.

That's because he has a history of doing so and proclaiming himself some type of master forecaster.

That's because he has a history of doing so and proclaiming himself some type of master forecaster.

His quotes: 

I am better than everyone here and about x10 more knowledgeable than JB. Top that.

Several mets around here getting the big F on how winter went. I find it funny.

His quotes:

I am becoming an expert forecaster around western NC. From Asheville to Raleigh and everywhere in between. Several people starting to notice.

I should be given an award for my lead time event threads on winter and severe weather.

I actually agree with this. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and should not be punished for that. He is already 5 posted. If he was banned, what would the reason be? For not agreeing with another forecaster?

I agree guys I already said its his compilation of work over a long period of time, we agree....

Yeah, same here. If I was to give "in my back yard" experiences a top 5 rating as far as nerve-racking is concerned, it would look something like this:

1989 Hurricane Hugo..... 90mph winds.... no power.....dark outside.....watching power-flashes light up the sky every few seconds. Seeing all the trees up-rooted in my yard once the daylight came. Never will forget seeing all the dead birds littering the ground.

1989 F4 tornado within a few miles of the house.... I will always remember that roar... the cloud structure was incredible. Most chasers spend years hoping to see that, and I was able to stand in my front yard and watch it pass. Too bad that was before cell phone cameras

2009 Base ball sized hail....you could hear it coming from 2 miles away. sounded like thunder that got louder and louder until it was on top of us. Trees stripped of leaves and windows broken. Then the smell of pine for 2 days.

2002 December ice storm...never will forget hearing the trees sounding like gun shots and watching the power lines snap under the weight of ice.

1974 Super outbreak... NC was lucky, but I remember crouching in the halway of our school and waiting as a tornado warned cell passed over us and then hearing reports of damage in nearby areas.

Yep, 48 years in NC has given me a sample of just about everything. Although I have never seen a wildfire from my window and I pray I never do.

And I don't think your story is unusual.  I think we have found out about the Metal Man.  Apparently he has spent most of his life in a windowless, soundproofed. padded cell,  And now he has been relocated to the Place where the Ways Cross, he spends his time in a windowless basement :)  How can a weather buff be so removed from weather experience, lol.  MetalMan, if a hurricane comes in anywhere near you this season...run to it.  Run with open arms, lol.  T

Disagree. No one douches everyday.  No reason to put up with his crap on a daily basis. There is certainly a history of being banned for continuous irritation as well as for one major screw-up.  In fact I'd say the former is the more prevalent.

Ahhh....finally..... a chance to use the Pearce of Resistence, only it's on the other computer.  Prepare to be bested Burns...check and checkmate!!....whenever I can get down to my house, and pull up the photo that will cement my fame!  Stand by...it may be a while...it's pouring out there..one last attempt to impress me with rain, before the shield goes past.  T

And I don't think your story is unusual. I think we have found out about the Metal Man. Apparently he has spent most of his life in a windowless, soundproofed. padded cell, And now he has been relocated to the Place where the Ways Cross, he spends his time in a windowless basement :) How can a weather buff be so removed from weather experience, lol. MetalMan, if a hurricane comes in anywhere near you this season...run to it. Run with open arms, lol. T

Lol or it could be that my area just hasn't seen any of that. I enjoy tropical storms though especially the two from last year.

Ahhh....finally..... a chance to use the Pearce of Resistence, only it's on the other computer.  Prepare to be bested Burns...check and checkmate!!....whenever I can get down to my house, and pull up the photo that will cement my fame!  Stand by...it may be a while...it's pouring out there..one last attempt to impress me with rain, before the shield goes past.  T

Minus one full letter grade for each hour the photo is delayed after your announcement. In comedy timing is everything.

Now I can wait until next week to start the November obs thread.

For some reason every time I buy Gulden's mustard now I think of you. I have no idea why but something you said a the SE gtg made it stick. I went shopping tonight and was in need of some so you crossed my mind on isle 4 at publix about two hours ago.

For some reason every time I buy Gulden's mustard now I think of you. I have no idea why but something you said a the SE gtg made it stick. I went shopping tonight and was in need of some so you crossed my mind on isle 4 at publix about two hours ago.

Just tonight I had two hot pastrami and melted swiss sandwiches. Both with a heavy dose of Gulden's Spicy Brown. Yum!

Archived