joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2013 Banter

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man... I hope that cloud doesn't turn into a hurricane and cause delays along the Gulf Coast. We'd also have to watch for tornadoes and plumes of seaweed. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a raging blizzard that would bring snow and ice to Tampa. That would suck!

Nicely done!   YOu can just feel the happiness exuding from a guy getting ready to go on vacation :)

So..... I'm cleaning up after dinner, and listening to the tv reporting of the tornadoes in Oak City again.  So what I'm hearing is this....

"Yes, this is Billy Bob  and we have a tornado on the ground.  A dangerous tornado on the ground.  YOu need to seek shelter immediately.  If you don't have good shelter, then leave.  Get in your cars and head south!!!"

And a bit later. "This is Billy Bob, we have reports of parking lots to the south, repeat parking lots to the south."

And a minuter or so later. "This is Billy Bob, we have a report from Jimmy Bill to our south. What are you seeing Jimmy Bill?"  "

"Billy Bob, it's madness out here!!"

Then...wait for it...wait for it....."This is Billy Bob, we have a dangerous tornado on the ground...wait, wait, it's turned to the south.  It's taken a 90 degree turn to the south.  Repeat it is now headed to the south!!!"

And finally.....the kicker..... "This is Billy Bob, you need to get out of your cars!!!  Do not stay in your cars!!!"

Geeze, I thought I was listening to a skit from Second City!  I think I'd rather they tell me..."if you don't have good shelter, then bend over in place and kiss you asp good bye!!!", lol.  T

Nicely done!   YOu can just feel the happiness exuding from a guy getting ready to go on vacation :)

So..... I'm cleaning up after dinner, and listening to the tv reporting of the tornadoes in Oak City again.  So what I'm hearing is this....

"Yes, this is Billy Bob  and we have a tornado on the ground.  A dangerous tornado on the ground.  YOu need to seek shelter immediately.  If you don't have good shelter, then leave.  Get in your cars and head south!!!"

And a bit later. "This is Billy Bob, we have reports of parking lots to the south, repeat parking lots to the south."

And a minuter or so later. "This is Billy Bob, we have a report from Jimmy Bill to our south. What are you seeing Jimmy Bill?"  "

Then...wait for it...wait for it....."This is Billy Bob, we have a dangerous tornado on the ground...wait, wait, it's turned to the south.  It's taken a 90 degree turn to the south.  Repeat it is now headed to the south!!!"

And finally.....the kicker..... "This is Billy Bob, you need to get out of your cars!!!  Do not stay in your cars!!!"

Geeze, I thought I was listening to a skit from Second City!  I think I'd rather they tell me..."if you don't have good shelter, then bend over in place and kiss you asp good bye!!!", lol.  T

It's not the media's proudest moment.

I was listening to the coverage and yelling at my computer! It's absolutely irresponsible to tell people to get in their cars and leave. People are already on edge from May 20th and you're only making things worse by getting a lot of people in their cars instead of a house/sturdy structure. I knew as soon as they started saying to get in your cars and head south that the tornadoes would start jogging south just to show us up. Sure enough, that's what happened... I pray not many were injured or killed. I've already heard of 2 deaths and hope there aren't any more...  :(

It's not the media's proudest moment.

Yeah... and I hate that they did that. I'd never tell my viewers in a sturdyish to sturdy structure to get in their cars and flee. I'd only tell those in mobile homes to leave, but never at the last moment. I'd make darned sure they had plenty of warning and make sure they know of the dangers well beforehand so they can make plans accordingly. Broadcast meteorologists have a lot more pull on the general population than everybody else on TV. It's our jobs to keep them safe... Not put them in harm's way. 

Didn't they have like an hour lead time?

Yes, for the El Reno tornado. But that started to dissipate some as the storm drifted south, the direction the meteorologists told people to go. It's never safe to assume a storm is going to behave in a certain, linear way, as I know you know but the general population doesn't. You know what they say about assuming things... It makes an a** out of u & me. Unfortunately, the meteorologist would be the a** but you may not have gotten through it unscathed because a tornado decided to roll over the road you were on to get away from a tornado. It'll be interesting to see how many people were injured, hopefully very few, from trying to flee a tornado yet would have been safe at home. 

That and now you have flash flooding concerns... IMO, staying home would have been the best thing for lots and lots of those that maybe tried to flee. 

Yes, for the El Reno tornado. But that started to dissipate some as the storm drifted south, the direction the meteorologists told people to go. It's never safe to assume a storm is going to behave in a certain, linear way, as I know you know but the general population doesn't. You know what they say about assuming things... It makes an a** out of u & me. Unfortunately, the meteorologist would be the a** but you may not have gotten through it unscathed because a tornado decided to roll over the road you were on to get away from a tornado. It'll be interesting to see how many people were injured, hopefully very few, from trying to flee a tornado yet would have been safe at home.

That and now you have flash flooding concerns... IMO, staying home would have been the best thing for lots and lots of those that maybe tried to flee.

So far there are five people dead, and those were all on the road.

Didn't they have like an hour lead time?

Doesn't matter.  A small town can empty itself in an hour.  A metropolitan area of any size the evac time quickly increases to days.  Cars stall and block roads. People then abandon their vehicles and leave them blocking roads. It quickly turns into a total mess.

Archived