• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
May 2013 Banter

WilkesboroDude

On a side note, I found this that you and many others from SC may be interested in:

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/climate/sco/ClimateData/SC_Tornado_Climo2012.pdf

Interesting information. Yesterday, I was talking to a couple of old friends back in Alabama about the storm and one said, "you couldn't pay me to live there (Oklahoma)". When he said that, I thought to myself about how Alabama has had its share of tornadic activity in the recent past and one of the first slides confirmed this. Bewtween 2000-2012, Alabama did indeed have more tornados than Oklahoma. That is an amazing fact.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting information. Yesterday, I was talking to a couple of old friends back in Alabama about the storm and one said, "you couldn't pay me to live there (Oklahoma)". When he said that, I thought to myself about how Alabama has had its share of tornadic activity in the recent past and one of the first slides confirmed this. Bewtween 2000-2012, Alabama did indeed have more tornados than Oklahoma. That is an amazing fact.

This seems to be a good site also:  Here it is for GA:

http://www.tornadohistoryproject.com/tornado/Georgia

Really? No, I am not being a smart azz either. What's the legitimacy of a question that has such an obvious and apparent answer?

lol I'll remember this bro.

Metal.... watch the language :angry: I don't care that you ***'d it out, the meaning is clear. Don't ask dumb questions and you won't get smart azz answers. I understand you are young, but seriously? Google is your friend and it doesn't matter if it were 50 years ago, the damage would be the same. Think before you post   :angry:

The damage would not be the same. I just "googled" hurricane camille in 1969.  So you are saying if a Cat 5 190mph storm made landfall today in the same spot, it would only do 1.42 billion dollars in damage? Uhh I think not. Same can be said for Hurricane Andrew. Andrew made landfall as a Cat 5 and then later as a Cat 3. If we had one of these this year, would we only have 26 billion and <70 fatalities?

The damage would not be the same. I just "googled" hurricane camille in 1969.  So you are saying if a Cat 5 190mph storm made landfall today in the same spot, it would only do 1.42 billion dollars in damage? Uhh I think not. Same can be said for Hurricane Andrew. Andrew made landfall as a Cat 5 and then later as a Cat 3. If we had one of these this year, would we only have 26 billion and <70 fatalities?

Remember what...."bro"?

Interesting you decided now to start in buckeyefan1 and playing semantics to boot. Of course you can adjust anything to account for inflation such as 1.42B in damage would equate to X.XX in 2013 but you are a smart guy, do the math. I honestly think k-vegas and I were just trying to figure out your question then you became snotty with the 1969 bit (...and by the way, I was only 2 years old then myself).

Remember what...."bro"?

Interesting you decided now to start in buckeyefan1 and playing semantics to boot. Of course you can adjust anything to account for inflation such as 1.42B in damage would equate to X.XX in 2013 but you are a smart guy, do the math. I honestly think k-vegas and I were just trying to figure out your question then you became snotty with the 1969 bit (...and by the way, I was only 2 years old then myself).

Snotty? I wasn't being snotty. You called me a dipsh it and an a-hole and I don't know what I said to K-vegas for him to say that.

This is an example of your lack of knowledge and research skills.  Yes Camille did 1.42 million in damage in 1969 dollars.  Adjusted for inflation that would be $9,282,000,000 today.  Since the area would be more built up today the dollar number would be higher but the damage to individual buildings of similar construction would be the same as it was in 1969. In addition, due to the increase in communications, warning times, public awareness and better construction of many buildings the death toll could possibly be less.

Finally, your attitude when corrected sucks. If I still wanted to deal with the middle school mentality, I never would have retired.

This is an example of your lack of knowledge and research skills.  Yes Camille did 1.42 million in damage in 1969 dollars.  Adjusted for inflation that would be $9,282,000,000 today.  Since the area would be more built up today the dollar number would be higher but the damage to individual buildings of similar construction would be the same as it was in 1969. In addition, due to the increase in communications, warning times, public awareness and better construction of many buildings the death toll could possibly be less.

Finally, your attitude when corrected sucks. If I still wanted to deal with the middle school mentality, I never would have retired.

I really don't care. I was just asking a question and wondering how catastrophic it would be if it occurred todayI'm glad you finally answered my question. This was all that needed to be said. My attitude stinks? Really? Obviously you skipped over the above posts.

I really don't care. I was just asking a question and wondering how catastrophic it would be if it occurred todayI'm glad you finally answered my question. This was all that needed to be said. My attitude stinks? Really? Obviously you skipped over the above posts.

The first four words in your post is what will eventually get you out of here.  To bad, but inevitable. 

Alright Mr. Jburns. You said I have a lack of knowledge and research skills. Basically you are calling me stupid and I was telling you that I really don't care.

Kiddo, It's the sarcasm and overall lack of tact in your responses that keep you in trouble here. The people in this forum are educated adults, not your facebook friends. You seem to be a smart kid. I'm suprised you don't get this. It's one of the most important things in life and will serve you well if you ever figure it out.

Alright Mr. Jburns. You said I have a lack of knowledge and research skills. Basically you are calling me stupid and I was telling you that I really don't care.

Alright Kanye - move on.  You don't have to answer every post with a defense.  Just change the friggin' subject.

Alright Kanye - move on. You don't have to answer every post with a defense. Just change the friggin' subject.

Planning a trip to the beach for the Memorial day weekend to Fernandina beach. Weather looks great, but I wish it was warmer that day than 83. Last year when it was 96 when we took a trip down there on the 4th of July.

metalicwx366...this is the quote that irritated me:

Dude, we are not talking 1969 anymore.
I'm talking about today.
  When people take time to try to understand your question and answer it and you come back with that nonsense, it paints you as an a-hole and dip sh!t, sorry. I am not immune to answering questions because I have a 21 year old son and a 17 year old daughter but they get it and know how to address people with courtesy. Manners will get you far but if you want to play big-boy games and you get bitten, don't cry about it.

Well I see what you mean. I should have said it in a different way.

Anyhow the greatest miss from a thunderstorm ever. I live on the S side of town also. If you walk about 1 minute down the road, it will be pouring rain where here its dry as a bone with excessive lightning and very loud thunder.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk HD

post-5947-13691790263.jpg

Greg, a lot of people don't know that one of the deadliest tornadoes in US history hit Gainesville, Ga. back in the 30s.  I think it still holds the record for the most deaths in one building. It was a top 5 storm for a long time, and may still be..don't know.  It was a few years before my time, lol, but my mother remembers it vividly.  Ala has had some of the longest tract storms go thru there, I think one in the 70's might have been the record e5 for a while.  I saw a map once of Ala. historic tracks and it was amazing.  So many long track storms.  Those Ala boys need to study up, and they'll see they are probably safer in Ok

As for Camille, I used to visit a lady friend who live in PC...would go down there on a whim for the weekend a bunch in a year.  We'd go out to SeaBreeze, before they built it all up and ate the beach.  There was a big hotel on, and under, the beach that was a shell full of sand for a long time out the west side of PC.  That was always my idea of what a biggie must be like, to wash out a multi story hotel, fill it full of sand, and float everything and every one out to sea.  And further west it scraped the pads clean.  But the one early in the century in KeyWest has always seem to me, via anecdote to be about as bad as it gets.  Where they describe the air full of sparks as the sand grains blew together.

I'm happy to miss any and all of that stuff.  Just give me 4 feet of sleet and snow, lol.  T

Greg, a lot of people don't know that one of the deadliest tornadoes in US history hit Gainesville, Ga. back in the 30s.  I think it still holds the record for the most deaths in one building. It was a top 5 storm for a long time, and may still be..don't know.  It was a few years before my time, lol, but my mother remembers it vividly.

203 deaths. April 6, 1936, in Gainesville, Ga. Still number three in number of deaths. 70 people were killed in the Cooper Pants Factory and that is indeed the record for the most killed by a tornado in one building.

Interestingly the number 2 storm was only one day earlier so I would assume it was from the same weather system. 216 deaths. April 5, 1936, in Tupelo, Miss.

Of course the tri-state tornado is far and away the deadliest. 695 deaths. March 18, 1925, in Missouri, Illinois and Indiana.

IIRC (can't really take the time from work right now to do web searches), the sewing machine operators had taken shelter in the basement and survived the initial tornadic damage to the factory building.  They were trapped in the basement unable to escape a fire that the tornado had started.  Which still makes them tornado deaths, but even more horrific.

Greg, a lot of people don't know that one of the deadliest tornadoes in US history hit Gainesville, Ga. back in the 30s.  I think it still holds the record for the most deaths in one building. It was a top 5 storm for a long time, and may still be..don't know.  It was a few years before my time, lol, but my mother remembers it vividly.  Ala has had some of the longest tract storms go thru there, I think one in the 70's might have been the record e5 for a while.  I saw a map once of Ala. historic tracks and it was amazing.  So many long track storms.  Those Ala boys need to study up, and they'll see they are probably safer in Ok

As for Camille, I used to visit a lady friend who live in PC...would go down there on a whim for the weekend a bunch in a year.  We'd go out to SeaBreeze, before they built it all up and ate the beach.  There was a big hotel on, and under, the beach that was a shell full of sand for a long time out the west side of PC.  That was always my idea of what a biggie must be like, to wash out a multi story hotel, fill it full of sand, and float everything and every one out to sea.  And further west it scraped the pads clean.  But the one early in the century in KeyWest has always seem to me, via anecdote to be about as bad as it gets.  Where they describe the air full of sparks as the sand grains blew together.

I'm happy to miss any and all of that stuff.  Just give me 4 feet of sleet and snow, lol.  T

Interesting info there Tony.  I had heard a little bit about the notorious Gainesville tornado in the past but didn't have any idea about the loss of life. You are right about those Bama twisters. If I lived anywhere from Greene, Pickens, Hale, Walker, Cullman and Jefferson counties and anywhere along that corridor, I would never let my guard down during storm season. That place gets raked just about like none other in the South.

The Cat 5 that hit the Keys before storms were named was a bad deal. I know at one time it used to hold the record for lowest barometric pressure reading, There were stories of jars and other items bursting in that pressure. I'm with you.....give me a good old-fashioned snow storm any day!

203 deaths. April 6, 1936, in Gainesville, Ga. Still number three in number of deaths. 70 people were killed in the Cooper Pants Factory and that is indeed the record for the most killed by a tornado in one building.

Interestingly the number 2 storm was only one day earlier so I would assume it was from the same weather system. 216 deaths. April 5, 1936, in Tupelo, Miss.

Of course the tri-state tornado is far and away the deadliest. 695 deaths. March 18, 1925, in Missouri, Illinois and Indiana.

Yeah, it was the same system.  They set the size in Gainesville last I saw at an e4, and there may have been enough pictures to make a good assessment. 

It isn't enough to survive the storm, you have to be able to get out of the rubble too.  I sure hope they will pay for some public shelters around Oak city...or at least require any rebuilt school to have one for all the students and faculty.  It's crazy to keep doing this dance.

Will anyone else be close to breaking record lows tonight? Forecast low of 52 when the record low is 48 set in 1954. When ever you look at the record lows for my area, a lot of them were set in 1954 especially during the fall.

KTRI has a record low of 42 for May 25th set in 1942.  Forecast tonight is for 38/39.  If it verifies, that is a pretty old record to fall.

Looks like when I head to Long Island this weekend I may miss an out of season snow! This is the Montpelier VT model sounding for Saturday:

130523163433.gif

Hope everyone is doing well.

Happy summer!

Burns and I are already trying to get a charter bus for the SE crew to come your house - unannounced.  Wilks is going to bring his grill.  :)

Archived