joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2013 General Discussion/Obs

wisconsinwx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not fair..  That is a cool thing that you have pictures of when they bloom...over the course of a decade it would be interesting to see the variation from year to year. 

Horrible here...rain and still chilly. 

drought cancel

I was thinking of this today, as things have started to blossom so quickly. From a "visual" aspect spring is by far the shortest season imo. It seems that winter is definitely the longest followed by summer...then Fall. As for spring, yes things bud, leaves grow, its a process...but unlike the fact that it can snow for 7 months of the year or you can us the AC for 4 months of the year...and even Fall color makes about a month of gorgeous landscape, the flower-filled trees seem to last less than a week.

As for dating the greenup...thats a great idea! It would be interesting to see when the grass greens, certain mature trees leaf out, etc. But i do take a pic every year of this magnolia tree when its in full bloom. My wunderground account is in chronological order so its easy to pull pics from previous years to see the timing of the greenup or fall foliage.

This year with the very warm weather May 1st, the flowers werent even fully opened during sunrise but were overly opened by late afternoon.The "baby" magnolias seem to be the first trees to flower (several days ahead of the more mature ones).

Pics from some different angles.

MAY 1, 2013

3541-800.jpg

MARCH 21, 2012

3165-800.jpg

MAY 1, 2011

2831-800.jpg

APRIL 6, 2010

2135-800.jpg

APRIL 19, 2009

1631.jpg

APRIL 20, 2008

1191.jpg

2007 - NO FLOWERS (budded early in late March heat, froze in prolonged early April cold snap)

APRIL 15, 2006

567.jpg

APRIL 24, 2005 (beginning of snowstorm)

361.jpg

SO...

While "full bloom" can vary by a couple days, the following dates are decent representations of approximately when the tree was in full bloom since it was planted in Fall 2004.

April 24, 2005

April 15, 2006

No flowers 2007

April 20, 2008

April 19, 2009

April 6, 2010

May 1, 2011

March 21, 2012

May 1, 2013

Avg date based on 2005 - 2013 exluding 2007 is April 17.

If I don't have snowstorms or severe to follow, I might as well have this as my p n c. Looks like a beautiful week ahead!

• Today Partly sunny, with a high near 70. East wind 10 to 15 mph.
  • Tonight Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. East wind 5 to 10 mph.
  • Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 71. East wind 5 to 15 mph.
  • Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 48. East wind 5 to 10 mph.
  • Monday Partly sunny, with a high near 72. East wind around 10 mph.
  • Monday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 49.
  • Tuesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 71.
  • Tuesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 52.
  • Wednesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 73.
  • Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 54.
  • Thursday A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 74.
  • Thursday Night A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56.
  • Friday A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 72.

I was thinking of this today, as things have started to blossom so quickly. From a "visual" aspect spring is by far the shortest season imo. It seems that winter is definitely the longest followed by summer...then Fall. As for spring, yes things bud, leaves grow, its a process...but unlike the fact that it can snow for 7 months of the year or you can us the AC for 4 months of the year...and even Fall color makes about a month of gorgeous landscape, the flower-filled trees seem to last less than a week.

As for dating the greenup...thats a great idea! It would be interesting to see when the grass greens, certain mature trees leaf out, etc. But i do take a pic every year of this magnolia tree when its in full bloom. My wunderground account is in chronological order so its easy to pull pics from previous years to see the timing of the greenup or fall foliage.

This year with the very warm weather May 1st, the flowers werent even fully opened during sunrise but were overly opened by late afternoon.The "baby" magnolias seem to be the first trees to flower (several days ahead of the more mature ones).

Pics from some different angles.

MAY 1, 2013

3541-800.jpg

MARCH 21, 2012

3165-800.jpg

MAY 1, 2011

2831-800.jpg

APRIL 6, 2010

2135-800.jpg

APRIL 19, 2009

1631.jpg

APRIL 20, 2008

1191.jpg

2007 - NO FLOWERS (budded early in late March heat, froze in prolonged early April cold snap)

APRIL 15, 2006

567.jpg

APRIL 24, 2005 (beginning of snowstorm)

361.jpg

SO...

While "full bloom" can vary by a couple days, the following dates are decent representations of approximately when the tree was in full bloom since it was planted in Fall 2004.

April 24, 2005

April 15, 2006

No flowers 2007

April 20, 2008

April 19, 2009

April 6, 2010

May 1, 2011

March 21, 2012

May 1, 2013

Avg date based on 2005 - 2013 exluding 2007 is April 17.

Wow...   About 6 weeks variation on when that tree blooms...although 2012 is probably a once in 500 year outlier!  I see a few of those trees around here...some over in La Crescent across the river...very pretty early in spring.    Only thing i have blooming is apricots...but i'd imagine by next week the plums, apples, cherries (sweet/sour) pears, peaches will all be blooming... 

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LA CROSSE WI
748 AM CDT SAT MAY 4 2013

...COLDEST HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR MAY 3RD...

ON MAY 3RD...THE HIGH TEMPERATURE AT LA CROSSE MUNICIPAL AIRPORT
ONLY CLIMBED TO 38 DEGREES. THIS TIED 1954 FOR THE COLDEST HIGH
TEMPERATURE FOR THE DATE.

THIS TIED MAY 1 1940 AND MAY 3 1954 FOR THE THIRD COLDEST HIGH
TEMPERATURE IN A MAY. THE ONLY MAY HIGH TEMPERATURES WHICH WERE
COLDER WERE 35 DEGREES ON MAY 1 1909 AND 37 DEGREES ON MAY 6 1989.

$

I have a Panasonic LX7 that will shoot 1080p/60fps ...the quality of videos is amazing at full resolution...no studdering/jumping when you pan left to right...just smooth....but yeah...to see the full bit rate, you'd have to host the file or something.  I think Vimeo does a good job with HD stuff. 

Sun is out here....upper 40Fs and it feels warm...lol...temp should shoot up nicely to the low 60fs..i'll take it.

Wow...   About 6 weeks variation on when that tree blooms...although 2012 is probably a once in 500 year outlier!  I see a few of those trees around here...some over in La Crescent across the river...very pretty early in spring.    Only thing i have blooming is apricots...but i'd imagine by next week the plums, apples, cherries (sweet/sour) pears, peaches will all be blooming... 

Yeah 2012 a ridiculous outlier. If it wasnt for the insaneness that WAS the March heatwave of 2012, the warm spring of 2010 probably wouldnt have been so forgotten. That was a very early greenup. In 2010, though we started the first week of March with a nice snowpack, Detroit tied the record for earliest last measurable snowfall (Feb 27th), with only a trace falling in March and April. In Minneapolis, INCREDIBLY not a single flake of snow fell after Feb 23rd. That is simply unheard of for that latitude. (By comparison, the earliest last flakes at Detroit were March 11, 1946). Spring 2012 and 2010 hold the #1 and #2 spot for warmest springs here, so those years of blooms arent good representations.

And your stuff will explode in blooms this week. Trust me, I saw it with my own eyes this week here.

I have a Panasonic LX7 that will shoot 1080p/60fps ...the quality of videos is amazing at full resolution...no studdering/jumping when you pan left to right...just smooth....but yeah...to see the full bit rate, you'd have to host the file or something.  I think Vimeo does a good job with HD stuff. 

Sun is out here....upper 40Fs and it feels warm...lol...temp should shoot up nicely to the low 60fs..i'll take it.

720p/24fps is good enough for me.  That's the best my camera will do.  I like the small size and travel/packing convenience as compared to a real camcorder that will be too bulky to carry around easily.  CHDK has an intervalometer hack script for making time-lapse videos from still photos.  I just tried it out the past two days and it worked pretty well, much better clarity than shooting in video mode and speeding up.  Still, the video mode seems to capture more lightning flashes for some reason so I'll still do that instead of regularly spaced still shots when getting a thunderstorm time-lapse.  The only big issue I run into with my camera is the battery runs out way too fast.

The problem with Youtube is the site obviously converts 24 fps to 30 fps by simply showing every fifth frame twice.  This makes it look more stuttery than if it was just left at 24 fps.  I found some software algorithms that will interpolate frames quite well under most circumstances for more precise looking frame rate conversions.  The problem is the result has ugly artifacts if the recording has any flashes (like lightning), sudden exposure/brightness changes, or if you pan too quickly.

I also have an older Cannon DSLR camera as well but find myself not using it as much.  It's bulky and doesn't record video.  Of course it's still far superior for telephoto zooming and such but for most everything else the point-and-shoot is just as good.

A+ spring day. 63° with mostly sunny skies and a light wind. A lot of us lucked out with the cut off staying well southwest of the area.

Edit: Peaked at 66°. Original forecast was 59-60°.

720p/24fps is good enough for me.  That's the best my camera will do.  I like the small size and travel/packing convenience as compared to a real camcorder that will be too bulky to carry around easily.  CHDK has an intervalometer hack script for making time-lapse videos from still photos.  I just tried it out the past two days and it worked pretty well, much better clarity than shooting in video mode and speeding up.  Still, the video mode seems to capture more lightning flashes for some reason so I'll still do that instead of regularly spaced still shots when getting a thunderstorm time-lapse.  The only big issue I run into with my camera is the battery runs out way too fast.

The problem with Youtube is the site obviously converts 24 fps to 30 fps by simply showing every fifth frame twice.  This makes it look more stuttery than if it was just left at 24 fps.  I found some software algorithms that will interpolate frames quite well under most circumstances for more precise looking frame rate conversions.  The problem is the result has ugly artifacts if the recording has any flashes (like lightning), sudden exposure/brightness changes, or if you pan too quickly.

I also have an older Cannon DSLR camera as well but find myself not using it as much.  It's bulky and doesn't record video.  Of course it's still far superior for telephoto zooming and such but for most everything else the point-and-shoot is just as good.

I'm using a deer cam to do time lapse.  The one i have you can use interval mode and shoot up to 1 pic every hour or 1 pic every second and always captures motion...the batteries last 6 months or longer (8 AA) and its 8mp...  i'll post a video when i get one together..   My (panasonic) camera is too nice to risk leaving it out for a long period of time.  I'm just trying to catch the green up/bloom...if/when it happens.

Managed mostly sunny skies today and 63F...took a boat ride on some old 60's boat...  wind was still cold out of the NW here.

Another beautiful day here in lower Michigan, lots of sunshine and a high of 75. A bit cooler than Friday when we hit 80. Normal is 64. I heard a report that for the US, the number of tornados are really down over other years. I wonder if we'll catch up some in the next couple months?

Yeah 2012 a ridiculous outlier. If it wasnt for the insaneness that WAS the March heatwave of 2012, the warm spring of 2010 probably wouldnt have been so forgotten. That was a very early greenup. In 2010, though we started the first week of March with a nice snowpack, Detroit tied the record for earliest last measurable snowfall (Feb 27th), with only a trace falling in March and April. In Minneapolis, INCREDIBLY not a single flake of snow fell after Feb 23rd. That is simply unheard of for that latitude. (By comparison, the earliest last flakes at Detroit were March 11, 1946). Spring 2012 and 2010 hold the #1 and #2 spot for warmest springs here, so those years of blooms arent good representations.

And your stuff will explode in blooms this week. Trust me, I saw it with my own eyes this week here.

2010 was insane however. I remember how January and February were brutally cold, and then it was like a flip got switched. I still wore a jacket around for awhile as there were a few cold snaps, but it was nice. 2011 was insanely rainy, I think that April we received rain in all but 5 days that month, and there were a few tornadoes I think as well that spring

Archived