Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
I am considering a move to Charleston,SC/Kiawah Island,SC area

Subtropics

Hello all,

I am northerner from the frozen tundra of the mid-atlantic (DC Area).   

Does anyone live around Charleston/Kiawah right now? Ideally I would buy property in Kiawah.

*EDIT* Looking into Wilmington, NC now as well because it would be a shorter commute to my office in Richmond. I would have to make this commute twice a week as Mon-Thur I stay in their company paid Marriott. 

Looking for a consulting firm in downtown Charleston ideally. 

How is the weather during the winter? Are the ocean water temperatures manageable? How are the crowds? 

Overall do you think I would regret a move down there? I am someone who is really in tune with nature and the urban center and brutal winters are taking their toll. I want to be able to open my door and walk to the ocean. 

Thank you! 

Yes you should definitely move to Charleston. Very beautiful there. Winters are mild like they should be in the south and the usual frost and freeze that occur every year. Waking and looking out the window and seeing beautiful blue ocean and skies. During a warm summer night, just sit and look out the window at the lighting shows. You should definitely move down to Charleston. You would not regret moving down here.

Hello all,

I am northerner from the frozen tundra of the mid-atlantic (DC Area).

Does anyone live around Charleston/Kiawah right now? Ideally I would buy property in Kiawah. Looking for a consulting firm in downtown Charleston ideally. 

How is the weather during the winter? Are the ocean water temperatures manageable? How are the crowds? 

Overall do you think I would regret a move down there? I am someone who is really in tune with nature and the urban center and brutal winters are taking their toll. I want to be able to open my door and walk to the ocean. 

Thank you! 

It will be much warmer than you are use to if you go to the MD/DE beaches, water temps easy low to mid 80's from June to Oct.,

I am still several years away from this move at least. I have heard nice things about wilmington as well. I suppose wilmington weather would not be too different from Charleston? 

Wilmington still gets into the gulf stream waters? I believe it to be likely my main office will be in Richmond and I will be staying in Richmond 4 nights a week in payed hotel. 

So from Wilmington I will have about a 4 hour commute twice a week because it is a straight shot. Much nicer compared to the commute from Charleston. 

I had previously considered a primary residence in Nags Head which would be a 3 hour commute but their weather is a little too comparable to MD/DE beaches and they miss out on the gulf stream. 

So from Wilmington I will have about a 4 hour commute twice a week because it is a straight shot. Much nicer compared to the commute from Charleston. 

I had previously considered a primary residence in Nags Head which would be a 3 hour commute but their weather is a little too comparable to MD/DE beaches and they miss out on the gulf stream. 

Yep Wilmington is well tucked in the Gulf Stream and straight shot to I40 northbound. Weather wise you would get sideswiped more with tropical systems going off the coast compared to Charleston since NC sticks out more. 

Nags Head right now is running about 10 degrees colder than Wilmington..so yea likely much cooler up that way.

Here is an old image of Gulf Stream:

gulfstream2.jpg

South Carolina is an overcrowded tourist coastline dominated by a republican state government always.

Try North Carolina...Wilmington is nice. Very nice.

. I could see Wilkes at Myrtle , I don't know who he's trying to fool! Kickin it on the beach with his" Big Johnson " shirt on!! I've been going to Pawleys Island/ Litchfield Beach areas the last few summers, and I think they are nice!

. I could see Wilkes at Myrtle , I don't know who he's trying to fool! Kickin it on the beach with his" Big Johnson " shirt on!! I've been going to Pawleys Island/ Litchfield Beach areas the last few summers, and I think they are nice!

I do go to Myrtle because I like the Spring crowds...most college students flock there to party. Wilmington would be a better place to reside in tho.

I relocated here to Charleston from RI three years ago and it's been great here. I live about 10 miles from the downtown area where it's convenient to both the beaches and downtown. The winters can be surprising. January and February are cold at night. Mostly in the 30's but some nights do go down to the 20's. We do get some frost but I've yet to see any snow here, although it has happened. I haven't experience a hurricane yet, but from what I hear it is long overdue. It's a spectacular setting here in the low country with streets draped in Spanish moss and water everywhere. The marsh land is beautiful and the many types of bird life are amazing! Feel like I moved to paradise!

I've never lived in Charleston but have family in the area so I have visited frequently. Have always enjoyed the hospitality of the locals, great food, etc...stuff like that makes those those sultry summer days easier to deal with. Not sure if the Wilmington area offers the same type of thing.

You will love Charleston.  I've lived here 4 yrs and it is great.  Mt. Pleasant, James Island and Johns Island are all great places to live although a little expensive.  Summerville (about 20mins up I-26) is much cheaper.   Winters are decent.  30s at night in dec/jan/feb.  Although it can be 55 one day and 80 the next.  A few yrs ago, in 2010 we got 4 inches downtown chas from a snowstorm.  We get measurable snow once every 15-20yrs or so.  Summers are HOT, 95 degrees with humidity that makes it feel like the sahara.  Ocean is warm enough to swim in by late April.

I relocated here to Charleston from RI three years ago and it's been great here. I live about 10 miles from the downtown area where it's convenient to both the beaches and downtown. The winters can be surprising. January and February are cold at night. Mostly in the 30's but some nights do go down to the 20's. We do get some frost but I've yet to see any snow here, although it has happened. I haven't experience a hurricane yet, but from what I hear it is long overdue. It's a spectacular setting here in the low country with streets draped in Spanish moss and water everywhere. The marsh land is beautiful and the many types of bird life are amazing! Feel like I moved to paradise!

Have you eaten at Bessinger'S BBQ on 17? How about Paisano's Pizza and LaTabella Italian on James Island? I just ate at these three places last week on a trip there. All yummy! I went to the Family Circle cup and saw Venus Williams in a great match.

The traffic leaving CHS on I-26 to Columbia was really bad yesterday, however. Stop and go. I know the bridge run was this past weekend but still...

I enjoyed being in the teeth of last Thursday's wedge in CHS. Very pleasantly nasty wx!

These are all excellent posts. I love this thank you!! Again several years away at least unfortunately. Again, my job is in Richmond so Charleston is more inconvenient so I am going to take a real look into Wilmington as well. 

Commute twice a week 4 hours vs. 6 hours. 

Wish I could get down there right now! 

Which area is more expensive real estate? I assume Charleston. 

Move to Charleston. Wilmington is more expensive. Also Wilmington is at a higher risk for Hurricanes than Charleston. NC is overcrowded anyway. Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

After traveling an additional 4 hours per week that adds up.

That would be too much commuting for me. I would have to settle for something like Virginia Beach or somewhere nearby.

Move to Charleston. Wilmington is more expensive. Also Wilmington is at a higher risk for Hurricanes than Charleston. NC is overcrowded anyway.Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

I like Charleston a lot, but I believe that real estate is pretty high in much of the area relatvely speaking as my bro-in law is a RE broker there. Then again, I know nothing about Wilmington's RE. I agree that ILM is at higher risk for a hurricane though CHS may be at higher risk for higher storm surge and stronger storms.

You probably want to go further north or south from CHS if you want nature. CHS is fairly urbanized.

Only the I-26 corridor through downtown and West Ashley.  Once you're around James Island or just north of Mt. Pleasant you're good to go.  Stay away from North Charleston as far as residence is concerned.

You will love Charleston.  I've lived here 4 yrs and it is great.  Mt. Pleasant, James Island and Johns Island are all great places to live although a little expensive.  Summerville (about 20mins up I-26) is much cheaper.   Winters are decent.  30s at night in dec/jan/feb.  Although it can be 55 one day and 80 the next.  A few yrs ago, in 2010 we got 4 inches downtown chas from a snowstorm.  We get measurable snow once every 15-20yrs or so.  Summers are HOT, 95 degrees with humidity that makes it feel like the sahara.  Ocean is warm enough to swim in by late April.

Actually, the area probably has one of the most consistent temps (and cooler summers compared to the midlands).  I lived there for 10 years (until '08).  It is always warm save a couple of winter weeks, smells of paper mills and sulfur much of the time and is quite crowded.  Other than that - golden.

Say what?

Yeah - Charleston is comparable to the northeast in terms of "cost of living".  It is the main reason we left.  Wilmington has nothing on that.

My only issue with Charleston area (Edisto Island) is the 6 hour commute twice a week sounds a LOT worse than 4 hours twice a week. 

Considering I would be keeping my Maryland residence it would be nice to get instate tuition down the line to Maryland and Chapel Hill for the kids. 

Archived