• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
I am considering a move to Charleston,SC/Kiawah Island,SC area

Subtropics

True dat! We could get you a great deal on a place near Faynam! Think of it as Charleston without the ocean ... or the seafood ... or the ambiance, but with all the humidity and fire ants!

Thank you but ocean is a necessity! Walking distance to the shore! That is why I am making it my second home. I guess technically I will have to decide if I want to send the mail there or to Maryland haha

Hello all,

I am northerner from the frozen tundra of the mid-atlantic (DC Area).

Does anyone live around Charleston/Kiawah right now? Ideally I would buy property in Kiawah. Looking for a consulting firm in downtown Charleston ideally. 

How is the weather during the winter? Are the ocean water temperatures manageable? How are the crowds? 

Overall do you think I would regret a move down there? I am someone who is really in tune with nature and the urban center and brutal winters are taking their toll. I want to be able to open my door and walk to the ocean. 

Thank you! 

Kiawah is beautiful and has beautifully expensive real estate. It's wonderful in the off season but in high season it is crowded. The commute from Charleston, depending on season and traffic on Bohicket Rd. can range from 35 mins. to almost an hour. Summerfield and points north are nice areas. Wilmington , NC is a nice town tho' traffic on Hwy 17 is BRUTAL. Figure 8 Island is pretty sweet. I love the New Bern area. 

• RALEIGH, N.C. —A legislative proposal to allow speed limits of 75 miles per hour on some North Carolina roads is barreling through the state Senate.

The Senate Transportation Committee quickly passed legislation Wednesday giving the state Department of Transportation authority to set speed limits that high for interstates and other controlled access highways. The current limit is 70 mph.

Bill sponsor Sen. Neal Hunt of Raleigh says he wants to give drivers the opportunity to travel more quickly in light traffic areas without getting a ticket. He envisions Interstate 40 between Raleigh and Wilmington as a candidate.The bill was just filed last week and now heads to the full Senate.

Read more: http://www.wxii12.com/news/local-news/north-carolina/NC-senate-to-consider-75-mph-speed-limit-on-some-roads/-/10622650/19697998/-/nqtj3lz/-/index.html#ixzz2Q5mhh2S0

Hello all,

Does anyone live around Charleston/Kiawah right now? Ideally I would buy property in Kiawah. Looking for a consulting firm in downtown Charleston ideally. 

How is the weather during the winter? Are the ocean water temperatures manageable? How are the crowds? 

Overall do you think I would regret a move down there? I am someone who is really in tune with nature and the urban center and brutal winters are taking their toll. I want to be able to open my door and walk to the ocean. 

Thank you! 

Although Charleston is "historic" I can let you know.. you will be going to Mt. Pleasant for so much stuff... Walmart isn't even in CHS proper currently.  Here was my last trip there:

1) Went for a day in the Winter for fun

2) Needed a beanie, and NONE were meant to be found expect half an hour away or more.

3) Went to ask directions at 4 or 5 different places and was greeted with drunk gangster type people each time.

4) Went towards the battery and found out the college life down there is really annoying.  and I was young at the time... no paying attention to traffic lights etc.

5) traffic was terrible getting around!  It felt like a never-ending loop of death.

I'd say go to beaufort or FL.

You'd love Edisto Island.

Problem with Edisto, you have only one true grocery store.. and it's piggly wiggly.

there is no lowes, home depot etc.. you are stuck at true value.

the gas stations are overpriced if you can even find another besides the one by the ocean.

Edisto Island is a place to go and relax and not have any wild fun.

I do go to Myrtle because I like the Spring crowds...most college students flock there to party. Wilmington would be a better place to reside in tho.

Myrtle is a drag now.  IT used to be so good, then they shut down the legit amusement park etc.. never really was the same since Hugo damaged it.  Now there's nothing but cops trying to bait everyone into buying drugs etc down there.  I hear surfside isn't too bad now.

Myrtle is a drag now.  IT used to be so good, then they shut down the legit amusement park etc.. never really was the same since Hugo damaged it.  Now there's nothing but cops trying to bait everyone into buying drugs etc down there.  I hear surfside isn't too bad now.

The redneck riviera just hasn't been the same since they raised the drinking age to 21.

As a Wilmington native, I will do all I can to vouch for my city.

Locations to live: Wilmington has a plethora of different locations to choose from. You mentioned that you wanted to be with nature. The Castle Hayne and Masonboro areas are much more forested than the rest of the county and you would like it.

Weather and climate: As for winters, Wilmington winters are very reasonable. We usually have a token snow event every year and will get accumulating snow every 2-3 years. We haven't had a 6+ inch snow in 23 years. Highs usually stay in the upper 50s and will approach 70 a few times in winter. Summers are hot and muggy, you'll have to get used to humidity to live here. Fortunately, thunderstorms are common and will cool you down. The sea breeze helps too. Spring and fall are very variable and feature fantastic weather with occasional grey days. If you like hurricanes, then you're in luck. Wilmington is in an ideal location. We get more action than CHS. However, most of what we get are tropical storms and brushby's while hurricanes hit the outer banks.

Beaches: There are 4 beaches in the county. Figure 8 island is private and for wealthy individuals. Wrightsville is really nice, and the beach where most of the locals go. Carolina Beach is much more touristy (with better surfing!) and Kure Beach is a pretty old school beach. Fort Fisher is right next to Kure Beach and is very scenic.

That's all the things that come to mind currently about Wilmington, if you have questions about anything else feel free to ask!

Virginia Beach too far north?

Yeah not really considering Virginia beach. It seems too similar to my vacation home in Ocean City, MD. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong but I just don't see enough of a difference in weather to justify buying there. The farthest north I considered was a home in Nags Head and even then I didn't see enough justification. 

It seems wilmington is a different climate all together than the Outer Banks, whereas OBX north is more similar. 

I am looking to add one that is quite different from the rest in that it has a more favorable winter climate and warmer gulf stream waters during the late spring-early fall.  Wilmington is growing on me as it seems to be the best of both worlds (i.e., weather, closer to job, etc.)

Almost wish I could change the title haha

As a Wilmington native, I will do all I can to vouch for my city.

Locations to live: Wilmington has a plethora of different locations to choose from. You mentioned that you wanted to be with nature. The Castle Hayne and Masonboro areas are much more forested than the rest of the county and you would like it.

Weather and climate: As for winters, Wilmington winters are very reasonable. We usually have a token snow event every year and will get accumulating snow every 2-3 years. We haven't had a 6+ inch snow in 23 years. Highs usually stay in the upper 50s and will approach 70 a few times in winter. Summers are hot and muggy, you'll have to get used to humidity to live here. Fortunately, thunderstorms are common and will cool you down. The sea breeze helps too. Spring and fall are very variable and feature fantastic weather with occasional grey days. If you like hurricanes, then you're in luck. Wilmington is in an ideal location. We get more action than CHS. However, most of what we get are tropical storms and brushby's while hurricanes hit the outer banks.

Beaches: There are 4 beaches in the county. Figure 8 island is private and for wealthy individuals. Wrightsville is really nice, and the beach where most of the locals go. Carolina Beach is much more touristy (with better surfing!) and Kure Beach is a pretty old school beach. Fort Fisher is right next to Kure Beach and is very scenic.

That's all the things that come to mind currently about Wilmington, if you have questions about anything else feel free to ask!

Wow extremely helpful insight thank you!! That winter sounds lovely. I think sustained tropical storm conditions for 12 hours sounds like a load of fun and there would be minimal damage!

I took a look at figure 8 island. Seems most of the homes run in the 2-3 million dollar range. Being familiar with the real estate in the MD/DE beaches, some of those private homes push 5 million which makes the 2-3 not sound so bad :)

Again, thank you for your info!! I will definitely contact you if I have further specific questions :)

Hello all,

Does anyone live around Charleston/Kiawah right now? Ideally I would buy property in Kiawah.

*EDIT* Looking into Wilmington, NC now as well because it would be a shorter commute to my office in Richmond. I would have to make this commute twice a week as Mon-Thur I stay in their company paid Marriott. 

Looking for a consulting firm in downtown Charleston ideally. 

Thank you! 

My father's retired and living on Fripp Island, which is south of Beaufort. It's a beautiful area and not at all overbuilt. The marshlands are spectacular, and the sunsets over the marshes are inspiring even during high summer, when the heat and humidity -- which I despse -- redefines the word "oppressive." Never gets very crowded because there just aren't the facilities to accommodate large crowds. I had to stay down there for two weeks back in February 2011 (fortunately not 2010!) because he was having some rather serious surgery. I'd never been down there for any extended period during the winter, and it was nice.  Days in the 60s, nights in the 40s. (I stayed in his house out on Fripp and commuted into Beaufort where the hospital was; about a 40 minute trip either way.)

My pop has been retired down there for almost 20 years now, and he's seen flurries maybe twice.

Fripp itself is getting to be a bit too regimented and developed, though it's nothing like Hilton Head (it's far smaller in size, for one thing.) When my pop moved there back in the 90s, you could walk out his front door, cross the dirt road, and head straight into something very like a jungle. (That's all been leveled, unfortuately, for a golf course and villas.)

But the Beaufort area is still pretty much off the beaten track, especially if you compare it to HHI or Myrtle. Might be a bit too isolated for you, if Charleston is considered the periphery; it does take about 30 minutes to reach Beaufort from I-95, and the exit to it is probably 30 minutes or so south of the I-26/I-95 interchange.

I have trouble handling the humidity down there in the summer. Last year, we set a new all time record high in Chattanooga of 107. It was hot. I was working outside that day. I was far less miserable on that day than I was walking through the Charleston market on a 97 degree day. The humidity is at times literally unbearable to me. Hopefully you are more tolerant of it

Here is a look at Ocean City, Virginia Beach, and Wilmington. Wilmington does average +10 more inches of rain.

68917_435531179873215_827711999_n.jpg

vs.

7556_435531209873212_202746857_n.jpg

vs.

305994_435532443206422_342775024_n.jpg

Wow! Thank you very much! So it does look like Virginia Beach's climate is noticeably different than OC's. That said, Wilmington's winter is almost a different climate all together.

Wilmington's water temperature is the thing I like the most :)

Wow! Thank you very much! So it does look like Virginia Beach's climate is noticeably different than OC's. That said, Wilmington's winter is almost a different climate all together.

Wilmington's water temperature is the thing I like the most :)

Our water temperature gets tolerable to swim in by Memorial Day weekend and stays warm until the waning days of September. Last year, in our warm spring, i clearly remember swimming after an AP exam (sometime in the first week of May)

Our water temperature gets tolerable to swim in by Memorial Day weekend and stays warm until the waning days of September. Last year, in our warm spring, i clearly remember swimming after an AP exam (sometime in the first week of May)

That sounds amazing! I think because of logistics I am leaning Wilmington area... despite the title of this thread. Seems cheaper overall, and it is less crazy commuting from said location.

I have never felt a water temperature warmer than about 76 :(

Archived