Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/24 - 3/25 OBS

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The accumulation pretty much stopped at just shy of 2.5", very slowly adding do to melting.  It is starting to accumulate more of a slush on the roads which have been salted.  34* steady for the past 2 hours, switching back and forth from light to moderate snow.

5dacfe47-8ba3-422b-92db-e5e6652d05fa_zps

IMAG1531_zps0d4253bd.jpg

That radar image indicates it should be snowing in my backyard, yet the sun is poking out through the clouds :cry: 

NW edge drying out quickly on that radar.  Coastal appears to be off the Delmarva, intensifying and moving ENE.

Better go out and take my last measurement.  Don't think I'll see any more accumulating snow in this neck of the woods.

We have had moderate to heavy snow all morning just north of the ACY airport. I haven't got out to measure yet, but I estimate we are around 3" here IMBY.  So far, this is a very nice surprise as I was expecting mostly rain until at least this evening.  I am wondering if Mount Holly will be upping the totals for SNJ.  If we hang on to all snow and no change over to rain occurs, I can see us getting close to 5"-6" at the current rates despite the sun.

We have had moderate to heavy snow all morning just north of the ACY airport. I haven't got out to measure yet, but I estimate we are around 3" here IMBY.  So far, this is a very nice surprise as I was expecting mostly rain until at least this evening.  I am wondering if Mount Holly will be upping the totals for SNJ.  If we hang on to all snow and no change over to rain occurs, I can see us getting close to 5"-6" at the current rates despite the sun.

Looks like precip is about to lessen up, NAM says more heavy between 2 and 4 but temps may warm by then.  Maybe heavy rates can cool it back down again.

1.2" here, our street is now wet; intensity has lessened since 8 am. 

Last week the coastal strip accumulated snow during the early afternoon as the band developed, even some slush on the roads.  Obviously one needs moderate rates, but I wish the it cant accumulate during the day in late March/early April urban legend would disappear.  Also other factor is its been cold, we have had sub freezing mins so its not like we had four days of 70+ (like 1997) temps leading into this.

Very true. The big question this afternoon is how far west (duh) will the strongest bands get. There is some evidence already that the rates will shift out of the I-95 corridor and especially the NW suburbs (it is the SE burbs that I'm not sure about). This situation can become dicey again after sunset, too, with lingering snow showers and borderline temperatures.

Well, you guys could post in the thread I created on accumulation = snowfall rate - melting rate, where I discuss a lot of the factors associated with melting from a heat transfer/chem eng'g viewpoint.  Thought it would get some discussion, but nada.  Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/39801-thoughts-on-accumulation-snowfall-rate-melting-rate-and-key-variables-involved/

On another note, it's very odd that when one quotes someone, the quoted timestamp is an hour later than the original post was made, which is confusing, reading that HM posted at 9:07 am in reply to Tony's post from 9:58 am.  Anyone know why the system does that?  Maybe some weird daylight savings time glitch. 

Archived