Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/24 - 3/25 OBS

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are banding features showing up but there is also a cool pocket aloft as the transfer occurs. The heights are going to crash toward the deepening coastal and the guidance peaks out mid level lapse rates this afternoon around 18z. For now, I don't see any "screw job" by CI banding on radar yet but conditions are favorable again for that. To me, the radar is behaving more typical of these situations but that could change quickly midday.

This biggest surprise for this storm has to be the colder temperatures. Collegeville was progged for highs to be in the mid to upper 30's. I doubt I get to 35 degrees, the snow has stuck almost immediately and has little trouble sticking so all of that talk about qpf getting cut in half due to melting and such seems irrelevant for many locations now. Could make a big difference in totals for some.

nice banding for sure

Yeah for now, this is typical LLJ/warm air advection induced banding with evidence that there is slantwise convection going on (system is maturing not occluding yet). But you can already see the cold air aloft transfer and the MLLR steepen. This doesn't necessarily mean CI banding either but if you start to see convection offshore really intensify, it could do the precip shield to the NW in as far as intensity.

This biggest surprise for this storm has to be the colder temperatures. Collegeville was progged for highs to be in the mid to upper 30's. I doubt I get to 35 degrees, the snow has stuck almost immediately and has little trouble sticking so all of that talk about qpf getting cut in half due to melting and such seems irrelevant for many locations now. Could make a big difference in totals for some.

You really need to see how much precip has fallen before making that determination.  Higher elevations are obviously doing better with ratios. 

Per webcams, it seems like slush is building up along the shoulders/painted lines on rt 30, 70 and 73 in S-C NJ. A thick cloud layer and good rates always trump the calendar.

Supposed to be at 38 deg right now, still at 32.  Moderate snow right now interspersed by heavy snow (yes, truly heavy snow as defined by vis less than 1/4 mile).  When it gets heavy, it accumulates, back to moderate has a more difficult time.  Have to figure it will be harder as the day goes on and the sun angle increases.  But NAM would call for some heavier rates later in the day.  Have told many people this has no chance of more an 1" at times of accumulation on non grass/raised surfaces, but looking at the temp I'm having a few pangs of doubt.

Looks like November all over again except the timing is off by 12 hours.

Under some light rates, and nothing is accumulating in Drexel hill. If the banding gets going on Nj, people west of the river will be under some subsidence and won't be too happy.

Not happy perhaps, but there were strong signs that would happen if it indeed does.

Been snowing the better part of two hours and there is less than an inch. Roads and sidewalks are just wet - temp 35

Thanks for that report, my parents and brothers are all at work elsewhere so I'm a little blind back home right now.  Won't get a first-hand report til around noon or so when dad gets home.

Per webcams, it seems like slush is building up along the shoulders/painted lines on rt 30, 70 and 73 in S-C NJ. A thick cloud layer and good rates always trump the calendar.

1.2" here, our street is now wet; intensity has lessened since 8 am. 

Last week the coastal strip accumulated snow during the early afternoon as the band developed, even some slush on the roads.  Obviously one needs moderate rates, but I wish the it cant accumulate during the day in late March/early April urban legend would disappear.  Also other factor is its been cold, we have had sub freezing mins so its not like we had four days of 70+ (like 1997) temps leading into this.

Archived