joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The lions end to March banter and discussion

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waiting for the Euro... 00z GFS looked pretty close to 18z.

Was just playing around.  0z GEFS lifts the .5 line further north to our west.  Smidge here too, I mean smidge.  That's been one of the hallmarks this year of a later north shift but it can only go so far?   Maybe the .5 line gets onto the south coast in the 6z or 12z.   Lots of work to do, not much time.

Lost the weakness further west vs the 18z.   Euro tells the tale.  GGEM being south to me is a big blah.

Was just playing around.  0z GEFS lifts the .5 line further north to our west.  Smidge here too, I mean smidge.  That's been one of the hallmarks this year of a later north shift but it can only go so far?   Maybe the .5 line gets onto the south coast in the 6z or 12z.   Lots of work to do, not much time.

Lost the weakness further west vs the 18z.   Euro tells the tale.  GGEM being south to me is a big blah.

Yeah, I'm thinking this turns out to be a minor event, maybe a 1-3" type deal. 

We'll see what the Euro has to say.

Euro looked so much better out west but a lobe of PV to our northeast appeared this run to screw us....pretty infuriating as it wasn't there at 12z.

It's remarkable how its just a tick away from showing a NAM solution. The GFS is right there as well. It certainly is disconcerting that the NAM is the only amped up model at this point given its tendencies...but the global models are slowly ticking towards it and they continue to do so tonight. They won't quite cave yet. 

Is that what it was? I thought it looked better but then D3 surprised me. 

Yes, the vortex in Nova Scotia had an ugly lobe well SW of the 12z run which rotated around and squashed the better looking ULL coming out of the Ohio Valley so the net result was no improvement in the storm impact.

Yes, the vortex in Nova Scotia had an ugly lobe well SW of the 12z run which rotated around and squashed the better looking ULL coming out of the Ohio Valley so the net result was no improvement in the storm impact.

So frustrating to be this close to a huge storm.

Donny baseball says no end in sight to deep winter. weeks and weeks

Morning thoughts...

In the midst of a record-setting blocking late-season blocking regime, the AO was -5.298 this morning, marking the 3rd consecutive day on which the AO was at or below -5.000. The AO reached bottom on March 20 with a reading of -5.632. The ensemble guidance is in strong agreement that the blocking will relax and the block will retrograde in coming days. However, consistent with some of the analog guidance that suggested the possibility of a short-duration blocking regime for April, a growing number of ensemble members are indicating early April blocking. A few members keep the AO negative through the forecast period.

At this time, it appears that my thoughts for April (#731) may be on track. Specifically, the first half of April could see cold anomalies from the Plains States eastward. With the cold, there might be some additional opportunities for late-season snowfall. Cities such as Albany, Boston, Burlington, Chicago (still recovering from a historic snow drought), Cleveland, Concord, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Portland (ME), Toronto, and Worcester probably have the highest risk of seeing some accumulations of snow in April. Other cities to the south, including Allentown, Harrisburg, New York City, and Philadelphia have some possibility, as well. Furthermore, the objective analogs, teleconnection analogs behind my April thoughts, and some recent runs of the GFS hint that New York City might see its first April freeze since 2007. The last time the temperature dropped to 32° in NYC in April was April 9, 2007 when the mercury fell to 32°. During that cold spell, the temperature fell to or below freezing on April 6-9, with the lowest reading being 30° on April 8. Such an outcome is not assured, but the odds are probably around 1-in-3.

More immediately, the guidance continues to indicate that a moderate to significant snowstorm will affect the Plains States this weekend. That's the system that will eventually spawn secondary development along the East Coast likely providing some portion of the Middle Atlantic region and possibly southern New England with at least some accumulating snow.

Kansas City, which picked up 0.2" snow yesterday bringing its seasonal total to 25.4" (36th highest), appears to be in line for a 3"-6"/4"-8"-type snowfall late Saturday through much of Sunday. Some locally higher amounts might be possible. A seasonal figure at or above 30" still looks very realistic. A 4" snowfall would rank 2012-13 as the 20th biggest season.

St. Louis, which has somewhat below normal snowfall to date at 15.1" appears to be in line for a 3"-6" accumulation. That would bring the city above normal for the winter.

In terms of the March ideas, so far things are working out in many areas in terms of snowfall. The Middle Atlantic region and southern Ontario are notable exceptions so far and those exceptions vividly illustrate the limits to trying to forecast in the extended range.

From Message #631 (2/19):

FWIW, the current mix of analog cases suggests the potential for a snowy March in parts of the Mid-Atlantic region and New England. The Ohio Valley, southern Ontario and southern Quebec would likely seek their most snowfall in March since 2011. 

March snowfall for select cities based on the analog cases (weighted for frequency of cases): 

Boston: 9.7" (snowiest since 2009)

Cleveland: 10.8" (snowiest since 2011)

Montreal: 26.0 cm/10.2" (snowiest since 2011)

New York City: 7.2"  (snowiest since 2009)

Toronto: 21.7 cm/8.5" (snowiest since 2011)

Washington, DC: 6.8" (snowiest since 1999); excluding 1960: 2.2" (snowiest since 2009)

Monthly snowfall for those cities through March 21 is as follows:

Boston: 20.6"

Cleveland: 6.6"

Montreal: 50.0 cm (19.7")

New York City: 7.3"

Toronto: 8.2 cm (3.2")

Washington, DC: 0.2"

From #700 (3/15):

My opinion of prospects for at least some accumulation of snow for the 3/15-3/25 timeframe for select cities is as follows:

Boston: Very Likely

Burlington: Very Likely (at least one accumulation of 4” or 10 cm or more is possible)

Chicago: Likely

Cleveland: Likely

Harrisburg: Likely

Hartford: Very Likely

Kansas City: Possible

Montreal: Very Likely (at least one accumulation of 4” or 10 cm or more is possible)

New York City: Possible

Ottawa: Very Likely

Philadelphia: Possible

Toronto: Likely

Washington, DC: Possible

Worcester: Very likely (at least one accumulation of 4” or 10 cm or more is possible)

Outcomes to Date (3/15-21):

Boston: 7.5"

Burlington: 10.2" (9.6" on 3/19-20)

Chicago: 0.1"

Cleveland: 3.5"

Harrisburg: 2.3"

Hartford: 5.3"

Kansas City: 0.2"

Montreal: 35.6 cm/14.0" (34.3 cm/13.5" on 3/19-20)

New York City: 3.0"

Ottawa: 26.3 cm/10.4"

Philadelphia: Trace

Toronto: 5.0 cm/2.0"

Washington, DC: Trace

Worcester: 7.9" (7.9" on 3/18-19)

The single biggest takeaway is that analogs coupled with the dynamical guidance can provide insight, but there are limitations. Obviously, I'm unhappy about the disparity between my thoughts and outcomes to date in some areas. Philadelphia, Toronto, and Washington, DC have not done as well as I had expected so far. There's still time and much will likely depend on the 3/24-26 event for Philadelphia and Washington's monthly snowfall or lack thereof.

Basing on meteorology ..When you you look at things from a 30,000 foot view synoptically it makes sense for it to come north enough to give most of SNE snow.

Those that had sunny and 46 forecasts were Monday look to be in a bit of trouble

Good thing most people didn't have that!

Archived