Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gorgeous evening to be out last night, one of the best springs I can remember around these parts

got down to a very comfortable 67 this morning, haven't had to pull the trigger on the AC at this point

Thats what sucks with me. I have to put the AC on because i go to bed at 845-9pm and its still like 78 outside...when i woke up it was 64 which isn't in need of the central air unit, but it is what it is.

what's up with KDIX?

This is my understanding. Routers were not talking to each other between the radar site and my office following maintenance and some software updates, so Verizon was looking into it (some resets may have been done). At some point, they came back saying everything on their end checked out okay. Now, this morning Verizon is dispatching a technician to repair the radar wideband outage.

gorgeous evening to be out last night, one of the best springs I can remember around these parts

got down to a very comfortable 67 this morning, haven't had to pull the trigger on the AC at this point

If I had waited until today to run my central A/C system, it would have already been at least 85 degrees in my house.  IOW, it's been running during the day and evening since about 1 PM Wednesday to keep the house temp at 76 (my wife would be very unhappy with me setting the thermostat above 76).

So I'm guessing your house either has a ton of natural shade or you are fine with temps in the house of 80+.  Either way, kudos!

If I had waited until today to run my central A/C system, it would have already been at least 85 degrees in my house. IOW, it's been running during the day and evening since about 1 PM Wednesday to keep the house temp at 76 (my wife would be very unhappy with me setting the thermostat above 76).

So I'm guessing your house either has a ton of natural shade or you are fine with temps in the house of 80+. Either way, kudos!

I wouldn't have to move if it would stay this way all year.

hit 89 Thursday, 90 yesterday in my backyard. Some truth that heat rises :banned:

Heat from the valley floor rises late in the afternoon it seems.

current temp 74. AC has been blowing 8 AM to 9 PM as of Thursday.

hoping today is less humid and hot.

I suspect you're alluding to the "mid slope" effect.  Whereby, modest elevations above the valley floors stay noticeably warmer at night as compared to the valley floors themselves.  This is due to cold air sinking, not really because of warm air rising.  Air near the surface loses heat because objects on the ground radiate heat away into space, but then that cooled air slides downhill to the lowest place.  Thus, the air on the slopes stays warmer because the coldest air there slips downhill and a fresh batch of air moves in to take its place.  Very common out west.

I suspect you're alluding to the "mid slope" effect.  Whereby, modest elevations above the valley floors stay noticeably warmer at night as compared to the valley floors themselves.  This is due to cold air sinking, not really because of warm air rising.  Air near the surface loses heat because objects on the ground radiate heat away into space, but then that cooled air slides downhill to the lowest place.  Thus, the air on the slopes stays warmer because the coldest air there slips downhill and a fresh batch of air moves in to take its place.  Very common out west.

That happened last night. Was at Penn's Peak for a concert and when we left the show it was 76 on top of the mountain where the facility is located. By the time we got to the lower elevation of Jim Thorpe borough, it was down to 68, and at home in Tamaqua it was 65.

I might move to Elko where the weather is more exciting.

:lol:

Last month we had a dust storm, but visibility didn't get below 1 1/4 miles so it wasn't that bad.  The biggest rain event officially totalled 0.39" at the airport (though I had 0.46", woo hoo!).  We had a wind gust from a dry microburst of 48 mph one day, which isn't uncommon; with few trees around here, there was no damage reported.  We had 1 thunderstorm the whole month which produced no rain at the airport.  Temperatures ranged from 21F on the 1st to 88F on the 13th (normal range is 23 and 86, so a slightly more extreme month temp-wise).  Total monthly rainfall was a whopping 0.47" at the airport.

Overall I'd say the weather is more exciting back there ;)

Archived