joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

attachicon.gif061113-SPC1.jpg

6.79 through 1 AM. 10th wettest on record.

Past performance doesn't necessarily indicate future results, but a majority of the top ten years had another 6"+ month during the summer after June (either July or August). 

Total back home yesterday and last night 1.56".  Total for June 6.31".

I am usually "the SPC/NWS apologist" post-storm day but I thought yesterday's performance overall wasn't up to standard by our local WFO (the SPC did a great job however). For example, zone forecasts did not indicate nor did the AFDs (not entirely relevant) from the night before indicate the potential for flash flooding/heavy rain for Monday morning. It wasn't until the 3am updates that these things were indicated and the zone forecasts still leaned on the afternoon (it was a pretty rough morning for rain).

Also, I thought the tornado warning for New Castle was not issued early enough. It will be interesting to see the damage assessment and determine the amount of lead time, but I felt that the TOR could have went out much sooner. Low-level mesocyclones are difficult to assess, yes. But when you've got a history of producing funnel clouds and possible tornadoes under your belt along with the radar signatures...what's the delay? 

Ouch.

Maybe when the freeze is over, they'll hire you for one of their 3 vacancies.

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not and I don't really care. Look, I'm not trying to be a huge dbag here but I thought it was worthy of discussion. I am hoping someone on their behalf can tell us why certain decisions were made and/or the reasoning. I'm not looking for a witch-hunt or bashing; I am just wondering why these certain things didn't happen WRT flash-flooding and the tornado. Usually Mt Holly is top-notch so perhaps my expectations are the only thing wrong here and their performance was fine...just as likely of a possibility.

I did operational forecasting for a few years and I understand how rough it is and I have been dead wrong before too. I have been late with warnings too and I have made wrong decisions, like everyone, at the "moment-of-truth." So, trust me, I completely understand that things go wrong. I think we can all benefit from learning about why our "best" made the decisions they did.

I am usually "the SPC/NWS apologist" post-storm day but I thought yesterday's performance overall wasn't up to standard by our local WFO (the SPC did a great job however). For example, zone forecasts did not indicate nor did the AFDs (not entirely relevant) from the night before indicate the potential for flash flooding/heavy rain for Monday morning. It wasn't until the 3am updates that these things were indicated and the zone forecasts still leaned on the afternoon (it was a pretty rough morning for rain).

Also, I thought the tornado warning for New Castle was not issued early enough. It will be interesting to see the damage assessment and determine the amount of lead time, but I felt that the TOR could have went out much sooner. Low-level mesocyclones are difficult to assess, yes. But when you've got a history of producing funnel clouds and possible tornadoes under your belt along with the radar signatures...what's the delay? 

I was not working yesterday, but your post comes across somewhat like 'Monday morning quarterbacking". History of producing funnel clouds? Not sure if that information was known and if true was known at the office. The tornadoes in these parts are typically rather weak and quick, which adds a challenge to the warning process. This was the case with yesterday's tornado in New Castle County, Delaware although data from the PHL TDWR showed a circulation present for several scans but it tightened up around 4:46 PM before weakening. I was part of the damage survey team today. It appears there was sporadic straight-line wind damage to start then there was evidence of a tornado (it was rated EF0 with winds of 80 mph). The damage was done to trees (several large ones) and the significant damage to several homes was because of large trees that fell onto them. Tough to pick an exact time of when it occurred, but the time noted in the PNS was mostly based on velocity data ramping up (best couplet). Lead time on these tornadoes is tough.

Regarding your comments of the forecast for the flooding that occurred and the AFD's, I really cannot comment because I was not in the office. I will say though that I am somewhat surprised the AFD was not updated sooner yesterday when the tornado watch was issued to reflect this change in potential threat.

I was not working yesterday, but your post comes across somewhat like 'Monday morning quarterbacking". History of producing funnel clouds? Not sure if that information was known and if true was known at the office. The tornadoes in these parts are typically rather weak and quick, which adds a challenge to the warning process. This was the case with yesterday's tornado in New Castle County, Delaware although data from the PHL TDWR showed a circulation present for several scans but it tightened up around 4:46 PM before weakening. I was part of the damage survey team today. It appears there was a sporadic straight-line wind damage to start then there was evidence of a tornado (it was rated EF0 with winds of 80 mph). The damage was done to trees (several large ones) and the significant damage to several homes was because of large trees that fell onto them. Tough to pick an exact time of when it occurred, but the time noted in the PNS was based on velocity data ramping up (best couplet). Lead time on these tornadoes is tough.

Regarding your comments of the forecast for the flooding that occurred and the AFD's, I really cannot comment because I was not in the office. I will say though that I am somewhat surprised the AFD was not updated sooner yesterday when the tornado watch was issued to reflect this change in potential threat.

I saw this pic of you this morning via Twitter; looking good!

https://twitter.com/Jerickaduncan/status/344490730674339840/photo/1

Past performance doesn't necessarily indicate future results, but a majority of the top ten years had another 6"+ month during the summer after June (either July or August). 

Total back home yesterday and last night 1.56".  Total for June 6.31".

and a likely tropical system in either August or September. 1938, 2003, 2006, a few others in there had one come close or hit.

The storm that produced the tornado yesterday formed very quickly

on the heels of a storm that just passed through the same area.  It

never had a history of producing anything before it reached Glasgow.

The storm received an SPS at 4:30 PM EDT near Brantwood, about

a couple of miles SE of Elkton.  At 4:33, the storm began to develop a

mesocyclone on TDWR.  It crossed into DE a few minutes later, and

a strong low-level circulation was present near Glasgow at 4:39.  A

TOR could have been issued at this time, but if the TDWR was not

being viewed, it would have been easy to overlook, especially with

a separate rotating storm near Honey Brook in PA at the same time.

The straight-line wind damage then occurred in Glasgow, and the

storm reached I-95 near Newark at 4:45, with still a warning-worthy

signature.  At this time, the TOR was issued, going out at 4:46.  The

bulletin said "at 4:38, a possible tornado was near Glasgow" which

leads me to believe the TDWR-loop was checked, and the warning met

realized that the storm had shown good rotation even before it reached

Newark.  The tornado touched down at 4:47, so it was, in fact, not yet

in progress at the warning issuance.  I believe the time of touchdown is

correct, because the meso was still south of the Robscott Manor damage

area at 4:45.  The warning forecaster was the same one from the Mt.

Ephraim tornado last year, so familiarity with TDWR-tornado detection

was not an issue.  This storm intensified quickly, and dropped a quick

tornado.  With other storms to look at in the area, decisions need to be

made fast, and I believe it was handled in an orderly manner.

Kinda odd to armchair QB over a glorified rotating downdraft that was an EF-0 touchdown for what, a few minutes? It's not like it was OKC and a rotating wall cloud that was spitting out EF-1's to EF-3's like pez that the NWS was missing.  There have been a number of these that have briefly touched down over the years in this CWA and others that the NWS misses. This had the equivalent winds of a strong straight line episode.

It's your classic mid atlantic downburst tornado.  you can't call em all perfectly because they spin up quickly and the rotation within them ends nearly as quick as they initiate.

NWS did ok with it.

By the way, anyone getting too excited about tomorrow's threat around here needs to remember that we've had situations like this before that didn't pan out.  Not saying tomorrow will be a bust - just trying to temper everyone's excitement a little.  Who can forget this one from 10 years ago?

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 358 
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 
150 PM EDT SUN MAY 11 2003

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A
TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF 

CENTRAL NEW YORK
CENTRAL AND EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA
LAKE ONTARIO

EFFECTIVE THIS SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 150 PM UNTIL 700
PM EDT.

...THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION...

DESTRUCTIVE TORNADOES...LARGE HAIL TO 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER...
THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 80 MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE
POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.

THE TORNADO WATCH AREA IS ALONG AND 65 STATUTE MILES EAST AND WEST
OF A LINE FROM 50 MILES SOUTHWEST OF HARRISBURG PENNSYLVANIA TO 15
MILES NORTH NORTHEAST OF WATERTOWN NEW YORK.

REMEMBER...A TORNADO WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE FOR
TORNADOES AND SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH AREA.
PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR THREATENING
WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS AND POSSIBLE
WARNINGS.

I sort of mis-interpreted the statement by HM initially as well, but I figured out what it actually meant or at least what he really meant by it. Knowing him for a long time and working with him first hand he ALWAYS comes to the defense of the NWS/Mt Holly and the job they do. 

Does this post make me an HM apologist?

Thanks and I lol'd at the last sentence. The weather service is under constant scrutiny; and usually, the negative criticism by other mets/the public comes out of not fully understanding something. For example, misunderstanding probabilities is a notorious catalyst for such criticism, where my usual "default defense" comes into play.

In the case of Monday, I felt the morning's heavy rainfall / flooding was not handled properly with no indication the night before and that a severe thunderstorm warning at least could have been issued a little sooner for DE storm.

Kinda odd to armchair QB over a glorified rotating downdraft that was an EF-0 touchdown for what, a few minutes? It's not like it was OKC and a rotating wall cloud that was spitting out EF-1's to EF-3's like pez that the NWS was missing.  There have been a number of these that have briefly touched down over the years in this CWA and others that the NWS misses. This had the equivalent winds of a strong straight line episode.

It's your classic mid atlantic downburst tornado.  you can't call em all perfectly because they spin up quickly and the rotation within them ends nearly as quick as they initiate.

NWS did ok with it.

It's kind of odd to you because I'm not actually acting as "armchair QB". You also seem to be teetering on a jaded view of severe weather in this area and somehow that justifies certain situations. The reality is: the low-level mesocyclones over Maryland before the DE storm, while not particularly strong either, showed us their capabilities for possible tornadoes and the environment was favorable for isolated sig svr. And none of what you said explains why a severe tstorm warning wasn't issued sooner to account for the wind damage potential. The NWS did do okay with the DE storm, given the quick nature to it and I probably wouldn't have mentioned it on the forum if it wasn't for the morning flooding episode (which I think I had more problems with anyway). But at least give me some credit here instead of simply writing me off as armchair QB...clearly, over the years, I think my actions/posts should show that I don't Monday QB.  

I was not working yesterday, but your post comes across somewhat like 'Monday morning quarterbacking". History of producing funnel clouds? Not sure if that information was known and if true was known at the office. The tornadoes in these parts are typically rather weak and quick, which adds a challenge to the warning process. This was the case with yesterday's tornado in New Castle County, Delaware although data from the PHL TDWR showed a circulation present for several scans but it tightened up around 4:46 PM before weakening. I was part of the damage survey team today. It appears there was sporadic straight-line wind damage to start then there was evidence of a tornado (it was rated EF0 with winds of 80 mph). The damage was done to trees (several large ones) and the significant damage to several homes was because of large trees that fell onto them. Tough to pick an exact time of when it occurred, but the time noted in the PNS was mostly based on velocity data ramping up (best couplet). Lead time on these tornadoes is tough.

Again this was not my intent and clearly I should have taken more time to be clear about my thoughts (see my posts above). I know the convection was rapidly changing and that particular cell only went severe in DE. My point was about the earlier mesocyclones in Maryland and what they were capable of doing about a hour or so before this storm. Please see my posts above and thanks for the post.

Archived