• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March Pattern and Discussion

Bevo

I know everyone is going to say I'm crazy but I really didn't like the looks of the 2m temps on the gfs.  I know the 850's were good and we're 7 days out but imo we would like to see the 2m temps colder or for this to come through at night.

You know, I typically don't consider 2m temps at this stage, but given the history of the last two winters, I'm inclined to agree with you. The 850's didn't get it done back in January with that ULL.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never been on Spring break with half a foot of snow in my life so not buying it yet. There is always a first but seriously...been awhile since a big March snowstorm(widespread MTNS/Foothills/Piedmont).

Anyone know of the last big March snowstorm to affect the entire state of NC without shadowing over someone etc...?

Probably not in my lifetime anyway. Would require some digging for sure.

the blocking is becoming stronger the past couple cycles so any shortwaves will be forced further SE underneath it. the gfs has a wave diving SE then E off the SC coast while the euro breaks a piece of the northern stream and phases it on the backside off the VA coast. the canadian basically has a miller B. the potential is there as we enter a pretty darn good pattern....best in years imo. anyone who thought winter was over is wrong as the signal for a -nao +pna pattern has been showing up for a while now. most of us have been sitting back quietly to see if it becomes legit. its now pretty close and the signs are there for something big along the EC.

I have never been on Spring break with half a foot of snow in my life so not buying it yet. There is always a first but seriously...been awhile since a big March snowstorm(widespread MTNS/Foothills/Piedmont).

Anyone know of the last big March snowstorm to affect the entire state of NC without shadowing over someone etc...?

March 1993...

It was obviously huge from I-85 westward, but it was also featured accumulating snowfall much further east.

March 2009........

March 2010 was okay, too.

Those are all in your lifetime.

the thing with you SE folks, i havent been here long enough to consider myself one yet....but you guys get one or two runs 6/7 days out and you get way too attached/emotional about it. your posting clown snow maps, worrying about R/S lines, say things like, "it will change, prob be nothing when next week gets here", and on and on...when you should be focusing on the fact that the pattern is becoming quite favorable and thats all you can ask for. some fine folks on here have said before, "we need the cold first for it to snow". well thats kind of the same deal here. I say, "we need the pattern first for it to snow". you cant just look at individual runs a week out and worry about qpf outputs in your backyard then jump off the bridge the next day when the qpf bullseye shifted from your driveway to 10 miles down the street.

NC is 550 miles east/west.  That's the distance between Greensboro and Hartford, CN.  A full state snow is rare.

Per the 0Z Doc clown, Nashville gets ~0.5" and Knoxville gets ~1.5". WNC gets pounded with 1-4" SW mtns to 4-10" NW mtns. Also, the NC/VA border area gets hit hard with ~8". Superjames gets ~4-5" while Brick gets ~3-4". Hopefully Brick is sleeping. Otherwise, I forsee a sleepless night for the Brickster due to the intense excitememt generated by this run for NC.

Per the 0Z Doc clown, Nashville gets ~0.5" and Knoxville gets ~1.5". WNC gets pounded with 1-4" SW mtns to 4-10" NW mtns. Also, the NC/VA border area gets hit hard with ~8". Superjames gets ~4-5" while Brick gets ~3-4". Hopefully Brick is sleeping. Otherwise, I forsee a sleepless night for the Brickster due to the intense excitememt generated by this run for NC.

Thanks, Larry!

I am assuming it is rain-to-snow for much of NC?

Just a tick further south and it's really game on, it sounds like.

I am awake and I am digging the trends!

the thing with you SE folks, i havent been here long enough to consider myself one yet....but you guys get one or two runs 6/7 days out and you get way too attached/emotional about it. your posting clown snow maps, worrying about R/S lines, say things like, "it will change, prob be nothing when next week gets here", and on and on...when you should be focusing on the fact that the pattern is becoming quite favorable and thats all you can ask for. some fine folks on here have said before, "we need the cold first for it to snow". well thats kind of the same deal here. I say, "we need the pattern first for it to snow". you cant just look at individual runs a week out and worry about qpf outputs in your backyard then jump off the bridge the next day when the qpf bullseye shifted from your driveway to 10 miles down the street.

Welcome and appreciate your input.  Everything you state here is correct, but unfortunately it just kind of comes with the territory the farther south you go in latitude.  We see so few model runs over the course of a winter that show an actual winter storm inside of a week, and even way less actual winter storms, that it becomes difficult to separate the moth from the flame when it occurs.

How about the weekend, Larry.  I'm still holding on to my .01, but I'm beginning to think Meteostar is just recycling the precip, though the 850's, and 2m's are changing, lol.  T

Tony,

You may get close to 0.02". Keep hope alive! No, despite the resemblance, I'm not Norman Vincent Peale.

Tony,

You may get close to 0.02". Keep hope alive! No, despite the resemblance, I'm not Norman Vincent Peale.

Hey, small steps :)  Looks like the whole impetus has shifted to later, which makes sense if the cold is only just getting established.  More room for the ULLs to play later...and the gulf to join in.

Oh, I'm down with positive thinking, not Norman....that's mostly all we have..... to go along with the shiny things :)   Thanks.  Tony

Not everybody on here gets excited. I like the trend but also know its too many days away. If this was sunday i would be more excited. One run means nothing. However if its still there tomorrow somebody on here will start an obs thread!

Archived