• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Late February 2013 Mid-Long Range Discussion

TUweathermanDD

I dont have the KU book handy, but I can't think of a storm with an ULL low that takes the GFS track and gives us a snowstorm...every time we got a snowstorm with that track, the northern stream dove in and pulled the ULL somewhere into eastern TN/SW Va before it could progress any further southeast

GFS was kinda wrapped up this time with the ull even without a phase. We have such a long ways to go here. The closed ull to our ne will not be in the same spot or even close to the same spot as shown. Sure it's possible it could be a perfect modeled location but it would be be accident. 

I'm sure we'll be getting sucked in and gut punched a half dozen times but it's just another solution at a long lead that won't happen as shown. I would hedge on a further nw solution but still plenty of opportunity for a big whiff even with that. 

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Social Media Feedback Loop:

1) Find 8-day forecast of east coast storm

2) Post snowfall map

3) 8 days later (verification time)

if snowstorm verifies then

"Post on facebook noting your heroic forecast with an 8-day lead time" ....collect more followers

endif

if snowstorm doesn't verify then

"Post on facebook that is was just one model solution---tell followers it was never your actual forecast"

endif

4) Rinse and repeat

Exact formaula. I am patenting it!

euro is bouncing around it seems mainly. not sure there are any trends there.

0z night before last was a NW of 95 event into WV, 12z yday was a Cape May paster, 0z last night crushed ROA.

I agree, I think the euro is definitely hitting the more phased solution between the lakes h5 low and the manitoba low, but other then that its bouncing around with the exact track and amplification of the surface low. 

the GFS runs are getting worse and worse

GFS is not budging with its solution of not phasing, for that matter it has the UKMET in its camp also.  If the h5 low diving into the trough does not phase, there is no way its going to get the job done because the flow will remain suppressive with where the block is and the old dying new england low not getting out of the way in time.  GGEM is off on is own planet right now with its solution, and the euro seems like its locked into a totally different evolution at H5 phasing the two streams very early on thus allowing a more amplified system.  Usually I would feel better with the euro having 3 runs in a row with the phase, but this year the GFS has been schooling the Euro in the 5-10 day range with the one exception of the CT snowbomb. 

I agree, I think the euro is definitely hitting the more phased solution between the lakes h5 low and the manitoba low, but other then that its bouncing around with the exact track and amplification of the surface low. 

yeah, i think the last three runs are more or less in the same type of camp.. specifics are tricky. tho it is still a week out so they should be...

yeah, i think the last three runs are more or less in the same type of camp.. specifics are tricky. tho it is still a week out so they should be...

agreed, we need the h5 phased solution of the euro to be right, then hope for luck with the track.  THe GFS evolution, we would need to get really lucky to have that work out.  I know it seems close, but looking at the h5 I just dont see how that is going to overcome the suppressive flow without a more phased solution between the two h5 lows. 

Maybe the GFS solution isnt bad since it will probably trend north...The last thing we need is something that flushes us and the ULL ends up north of its modeled solution..1/22/05, 12/30/00

I think a lot is likely to change in how this sytem evolves, but given the h5 setup on the GFS I just dont see how that could end up a snowstorm for our area.  The flow is downright hostile without the phase. 

Archived