joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late February 2013 Mid-Long Range Discussion

TUweathermanDD

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a great upslope setup commencing after whatever goes by on Tuesday and continuing . . . . wow, for many many days. Next weekend may be our best snow weekend of the season out this way.

Garrett County area?

I was on vacation on Lake Shore Drive the weekend of the Super Bowl and it snowed every single day (usually in the midafternoon/evening-- or at least that's when it really stuck good. Amazing that as cold a climate as it is sun angle still had an an effect at least IMO)

Altogether I'd say it snowed about 8 inches. One night it really came down good. Headed out, it was really stunning to go from 219 in McHenry to, oh about 3 or 4 miles east on 68 from its junction with 219. Not even a dusting in most places much furthe east than Frostburg...

Even in the less than stellar 1990-91 - 1996-97 period, we averaged 14.6" with 95-96 and 9.4" without...worst winter was 6.6" (that was a too strong Nino w/out blocking) and IAD only had one winter in the stretch below 14".....You remove the Nina stink from a period and you can get on a semi-roll even with a weak nina thrown in the middle....If we can get a Nino/neutral period, we will do fine....I think at this point everyone accepts that an 8-12" DCA winter and a 14-18" winter for the closer burbs is certainly more than acceptable

we need to get a nino next winter AND then not follow it up immediately with a moderate to strong Nina period...if we cant do that, I think eventually our mean and median wont be remotely close...

Looks like a great upslope setup commencing after whatever goes by on Tuesday and continuing . . . . wow, for many many days. Next weekend may be our best snow weekend of the season out this way.

The trend in discussion threads over the past 3 years:

Poster 1 (Mitchnick): this winter is hopeless...can we at least get an inch? Is that too much to ask? Can't ignore the seasonal trend at this point. Maybe we'll get a fluke, but at this point I've seen enough to know we are screwed

Poster 2 (Matt): GFS comes in even drier...why do we even bother looking at the NAM? It is a horrific model...just terrible.

Poster 3 (WinterWxLuvr): I wouldn't give up on tomorrows event just yet. I just looked at the GFS individual ensemble members, and 3 or 4 give us a few inches. Why all the doom and gloom?

Poster 4 (Wes): (Extremley detailed and interesting meteorological analysis that explains why our snow prospects are not great).

Poster 5 (Ji): Euro day 8 shows SECS

Poster 6 (Ian): Euro day 8 has a storm well out to sea verbatim...I guess there's some potential, but taken literally no one sees a flake

Poster 7 (Vinylfreak/TUweatherman/whoever): In reference to the day 2 light rain event that could begin as a few flakes, these posters throw out "first calls" that have BWI, DCA, and IAD all getting 1-2" of snow, despite no model showing such a scenario

Poster 8 (Yoda): The RAP is interesting for tomorrow. Hi-Res NAM also looks interesting

Posters 9-20: Some form of complaining about how this winter sucks

Then....

JONJON: : Got 6" last night, snow still falling, will probably tack on another 2-3." The rest of the week looks cold and snowy as well, hoping we can pick up an additional few inches with the next system. Overall it's been a great month/winter.

No disrespect intended to any of the posters mentioned--just having some fun. :) Just find it funny that we always have a lot of doom and gloom posts, and then JonJon always comes in to make us feel worse as he shows off his snow totals: :P

Poster 1 (Mitchnick): this winter is hopeless...can we at least get an inch? Is that too much to ask? Can't ignore the seasonal trend at this point. Maybe we'll get a fluke, but at this point I've seen enough to know we are screwed

Poster 2 (Matt): GFS comes in even drier...why do we even bother looking at the NAM? It is a horrific model...just terrible.

Poster 3 (WinterWxLuvr): I wouldn't give up on tomorrows event just yet. I just looked at the GFS individual ensemble members, and 3 or 4 give us a few inches. Why all the doom and gloom?

Poster 4 (Wes): (Extremley detailed and interesting meteorological analysis that explains why our snow prospects are not great).

Poster 6 (Ian): Euro day 8 has a storm well out to sea verbatim...I guess there's some potential, but taken literally no one sees a flake

Poster 7 (Vinylfreak/TUweatherman/whoever): In reference to the day 2 light rain event that could begin as a few flakes, these posters throw out "first calls" that have BWI, DCA, and IAD all getting 1-2" of snow, despite no model showing such a scenario

Poster 8 (Yoda): The RAP is interesting for tomorrow. Hi-Res NAM also looks interesting

Then....

JONJON: : Got 6" last night, snow still falling, will probably tack on another 2-3." The rest of the week looks cold and snowy as well, hoping we can pick up an additional few inches with the next system. Overall it's been a great month/winter.

No disrespect intended to any of the posters mentioned--just having some fun. :) Just find it funny that we always have a lot of doom and gloom posts, and then JonJon always comes in to make us feel worse as he shows off his snow totals: :P

Nicely done.

One the low fizzles next week the euro shows basically bone dry coast to coast for days and days. Lotsa cold though. Completely wasted of course.

Yeah we are starting to get into that dry period the ensembles have had on the op runs. I think we might be toast around here at least.

One of the  maddening features of the next ten days is that the only day forecast to be above normal is the only day with significant precipitation (next Wednesday).  This is true of both the ECMWF deterministic and the NAEFS ensembles. 

I guess we'll have to "focus" on the March 3/4 fantasy event that has been in and out of the (very) long range model solutions for a few days now. 

Although I suppose we could get wrap around flurries next Thursday (ha!). 

Then....

well done

Serious? @360?

Flat pattern but something's there... lol. Euro is good but doubt it's much better than the GFS that far out. However, the -4C 850 refuses to go north of us on every run. Still mostly a dry pattern across the CONUS.

Archived