joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late February 2013 Mid-Long Range Discussion

TUweathermanDD

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think PSU mentioned these factors and maybe some others, but the trough axis kind of sucks for the next week+....low confidence, but I think our best shot of a legit storm is just before the Block/PNA break down so around the March 8th-10th period, especially if we have a proper 50-50....Of course a storm around then, if it should happen is a significant risk to mix or rain in the cities, though it is just about the end of the window where we could get an all snow event given the right factors..

I agree, our best window seems to be after March 8th and perhaps even into mid month if the GFS is right and the whole thing keeps reloading.  The trough axis the next week just sucks and nothing diving into it is strong enough to sharpen it up and pull it back.  I think as this starts to break down we will get a storm to pop on the east coast between March 8-16 but the question is will it be too late. 

Um.

Dammit..heights can recover quick enough..but that's a huge change from 18/12z.

I'm trying yall...I'm trying

I think we're collectively willing the trough axis to get right and the beast of lp to gtf out of the way. But the battle is stacked hard against us. Maybe nc and seva cash in. Wouldn't that be lovely.

I agree, our best window seems to be after March 8th and perhaps even into mid month if the GFS is right and the whole thing keeps reloading. The trough axis the next week just sucks and nothing diving into it is strong enough to sharpen it up and pull it back. I think as this starts to break down we will get a storm to pop on the east coast between March 8-16 but the question is will it be too late.

The window has been elusive door to door. I've heard just about every date talked about since mid Jan from every poster on the board. Only way we're getting ours is a sneak attack pre day 5. Post d 5 is fools gold this year. No sense even looking or you'll end up talking about memorial day soon.

The window has been elusive door to door. I've heard just about every date talked about since mid Jan from every poster on the board. Only way we're getting ours is a sneak attack pre day 5. Post d 5 is fools gold this year. No sense even looking or you'll end up talking about memorial day soon.

This.

Day 8 or 9 always looks like "our best shot"

Yeah gfs runs us over with a closed H5 low.  Height falls not impressive though, and the baroclinic zone is way OTS.

D8-9 very similar to March 1999 But I'm sure it will find a way to bust.

Overall long range GFS is advertising the best looking March pattern I've seen in 10 years. Everything you want Arctic Air, slow movers no SE ridge. It will bust though.

D8 threat at face value (prob worth 3 pennies to a nickel) is pretty lame. 850 and Ull track nw. That is not a snow recipe more often than not in Jan let alone march.

Euro rolls the ball all the way to Atlanta though. So I guess the period bears watching even if the sw responsible is in central russia or thereabouts right now.

The windows were real but we just didn't cash in. We had a period New Years and one in feb when we could have got a storm but it didn't come together. Having a window to me just means the chances for a storm are say 30% instead of 2%. Still need some luck. Our windows have come and gone and so too may this one but the threat is real.

The windows were real but we just didn't cash in. We had a period New Years and one in feb when we could have got a storm but it didn't come together. Having a window to me just means the chances for a storm are say 30% instead of 2%. Still need some luck. Our windows have come and gone and so too may this one but the threat is real.

we are going to have a legit -NAO/+PNA pattern for 2 weeks maybe longer....something will happen....probably not for me

we are going to have a legit -NAO/+PNA pattern for 2 weeks maybe longer....something will happen....probably not for me

If this was dec jan or feb I'd have those odds way higher for dc but its getting very late. I have another month here so my chances to cash in on this are much higher but it's still possible to get snow into dc just takes a real perfect event.

Archived