• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 21st - 23rd Winter Storm

Powerball

Temps are the biggest thing in question in my mind at this point. A storm of this intensity is going to want to pump a ton of warm air on its eastern flank. It's essential the Mon-Tuesday storm deepens as much as is currently modeled over E Canada to lock in the confluence aloft/banana arctic high pressure at the sfc and impede any cutting.

f180.gif

That's a fear. With these storms, models rarely overdo WAA. On the other hand, they also tend to underdo wet-bulbing effects too.

At this point, the worst case scenario is probably the 06z DGEX.

On the other hand, the time period around February 22nd has been quite snowy for Detroit the last few years, so we have that bit of mojo going for us too.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its great we have a beast to track but its going to be such a long 180 hours lol

Yeah my goodness the way we are speaking about specifics this far out it is going to be a mental challenge to weather the changes.  Thankfully this is such a massive system there will be some margin for error for many areas, not the tenuous rain/snow teetering that everyone has gone through this year if the system continues to be modeled this strongly.

FWIW, it trended warmer here as well (mixing to MBY) despite the earlier week storm being west. People shouldn't be discounting warm/wet solutions so easily.

Agreed, way too early to rule that out. We need the track to be more like the 00z euro to not have mixing/rain concerns north of I-80. The strength of the system as modeled on the GFS would likely result in stronger WAA than depicted. Also, warm sector severe potential looks pretty epic. Wouldn't be surprised at all if SPC highlights an outlook area with tonight's day 4-8.

Archived