wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
February 21st - 23rd Winter Storm

Powerball

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright I can't believe I'm posting this but its lolworthy for sure. DT rooting for east coast storm all the way. In model denial.

285384_487747024605894_340998086_n.jpg

Lol, violates wave physics? Once again DT doesn't know what he's talking about, it's a complicated jet pattern but there's nothing physically wrong with it. That being said, the fact that the jet streams involved with this are so complicated lowers my confidence that this will happen. There's 2 polar jets and 1 subtropical jet involved in this scenario. On the flip side, the fact that models have had this for multiple days already increases my confidence.

Might be time for WSW's.

:lmao:

Did a rough calculation of the speed of the storm from the last GFS run. Colorado Springs to Cleveland track would be about 1200 miles. The storm takes about 50 hours to cover that distance. So were looking at a storm moving around 25mph!

Just read DVN's discussion from this morning, and this sums it up: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm::weenie: :weenie: :weenie:   Cyclone's probably none too happy that they are already forecasting as high amounts for this storm that is over a week away than they have had for the whole winter.  High confidence of 6"+ eight days out screams "I'm bored, so I'll write whatever I want".

Classic panhandle hooker track.

1st and only calls, not biased in any way obviously

Madison - 15"

Milwaukee - 12"

Chicago - 10"

Minneapolis - 4"

LAF - 1"

That's what it looks like to me as well, a classic NE moving GLC, but given all some steadfast mets and some weenies expressing that it can't cut, I'll wait a few more days until I'm sold on the evolution of the storm.

When comparing the 12z GFS and Euro ensembles at 168 hours:

post-525-0-57881600-1360875804_thumb.png

Both sets of ensembles have a closed east based -NAO between Iceland and the UK...both models attempt to raise heights over the Davis Strait and Greenland in response to the early week system bombing over southeastern Canada. A few things appear to happen though that results in the ECM Ensembles showing a bit more of a west based -NAO "extension" if you will and a better 50/50...

First off...the Euro suite shows the early week storm digging much more aggressively and taking on a negative tilt over the mid-Mississippi Valley/western Lakes before closing off over the eastern lakes and moving east. This allows heights to rise more east of the early week system on the Euro suite than on the GFS suite...the closing off also allows the early week system to move east slower than what the GFS suite shows...

Second off...The Euro suite initially has a stronger east based block...with a closed 552DM contour between Iceland and the UK from 96-144 hours, which causes the departing closed low (what's left of this weekends deep eastern US trough) to move east slower...which in turn helps further block up the pattern over eastern N. America and the NW Atlantic.

In addition, in the image above, one can see that the Euro suite has much more energy dumping into the western US before our ejecting storm...although the energy ends up really digging down and doesn't appear to interfere with our ejecting storm in about a week, that is something to watch as more energy dumping into the west immediately behind our storm may encourage the storm to be embedded in more of a SW steering flow...and may also destructively interfere, although at this point I'm not too worried about destructive interference.

So, there really is a lot to watch over the next few days...the first of which being if the models show the early week storm going more negative tilt early on and closing off...the second being how strong the east based -NAO (and eventually westward extension) is...and the third being whether or not the models trend more aggressive in digging energy immediately behind our ejecting storm...the main implications for a track shift (and I still think if the consensus track shifts, it shifts south somewhat) will be over southern/eastern IL, central/southern IN, and central/northern OH where right now the potential appears to exist for a good amount of mixing...a southward shift would allow those areas to see more snow...even with potential south shifts I'd feel pretty good from IA through northern IL/southern WI east into the lower Peninsula of MI into southeastern Ontario...or about as good as one can feel a week out.

afternoon DVN afd tones it down a little

THE BIG QUESTION OF THE FORECAST COMES THURSDAY. FOR SEVERAL MODEL RUNS NOW...THE ECMWF AND GFS HAVE BEEN ADVERTISING A VERY STRONG STORM FOR THE MIDWEST ON THURSDAY AND FRIDAY. THERE IS REMARKABLE CONSISTENCY AND CONFIDENCE IS GROWING THAT SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDWEST THERE WILL BE A MAJOR WINTER STORM...IF NOT A BLIZZARD. HOWEVER...WHETHER OUR AREA WILL BE AFFECTED OR NOT IS VERY MUCH IN QUESTION. WE CURRENTLY HAVE DIFFERING MODEL SOLUTIONS...ONE OF WHICH DEPICTS THE WINTER STORM AFFECTING THE CWA WITH MAJOR SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...ANOTHER WHICH BRINGS IN MORE WARM AIR AND AFFECTS US WITH ANOTHER RAIN/SNOW MIX EVENT WITH LESSER ACCUMULATIONS. IN GENERAL PREFER THE MORE CONSISTENT AND BETTER VERIFYING ECMWF WHICH HAS THE LARGER SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...BUT CANNOT TOTALLY DISCOUNT THE WARMER GFS EITHER. WE WILL HAVE TO WATCH THIS STORM VERY CAREFULLY OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS TO MONITOR THESE TRENDS. YOU WILL DEFINITELY WANT TO KEEP UP WITH THE LATEST INFORMATION REGARDING THIS WINTER STORM SYSTEM. FOR NOW THE LATEST FORECAST REFLECTS A BLENDED APPROACH...AND WE WILL HAVE TO REFINE WITH LATER FORECASTS.

afternoon DVN afd tones it down a little

THE BIG QUESTION OF THE FORECAST COMES THURSDAY. FOR SEVERAL MODEL RUNS NOW...THE ECMWF AND GFS HAVE BEEN ADVERTISING A VERY STRONG STORM FOR THE MIDWEST ON THURSDAY AND FRIDAY. THERE IS REMARKABLE CONSISTENCY AND CONFIDENCE IS GROWING THAT SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDWEST THERE WILL BE A MAJOR WINTER STORM...IF NOT A BLIZZARD. HOWEVER...WHETHER OUR AREA WILL BE AFFECTED OR NOT IS VERY MUCH IN QUESTION. WE CURRENTLY HAVE DIFFERING MODEL SOLUTIONS...ONE OF WHICH DEPICTS THE WINTER STORM AFFECTING THE CWA WITH MAJOR SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...ANOTHER WHICH BRINGS IN MORE WARM AIR AND AFFECTS US WITH ANOTHER RAIN/SNOW MIX EVENT WITH LESSER ACCUMULATIONS. IN GENERAL PREFER THE MORE CONSISTENT AND BETTER VERIFYING ECMWF WHICH HAS THE LARGER SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...BUT CANNOT TOTALLY DISCOUNT THE WARMER GFS EITHER. WE WILL HAVE TO WATCH THIS STORM VERY CAREFULLY OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS TO MONITOR THESE TRENDS. YOU WILL DEFINITELY WANT TO KEEP UP WITH THE LATEST INFORMATION REGARDING THIS WINTER STORM SYSTEM. FOR NOW THE LATEST FORECAST REFLECTS A BLENDED APPROACH...AND WE WILL HAVE TO REFINE WITH LATER FORECASTS.

smart move considering no office should be saying what the morning AFD said this far out even if model agreement/consistency is good right now.

Archived