Newest Member
    amirah5
February 21st - 23rd Winter Storm

Powerball

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MKX taking it easy so far...

THURSDAY...FORECAST CONFIDENCE...STRONG SHORTWAVE OVER THE SOUTHWEST U.S. LIFTS NORTHEAST. MAINDIFFERENCE IS THAT THE 12Z ECMWF IS SOMEWHAT SLOWER AND FARTHER SOUTH.GFS AND ECMWF BOTH BRING A STRONG LOW THAT WOULD FAVOR HEAVY SNOWEVENTUALLY AFFECTING PORTIONS OF THE FORECAST AREA. THE ECMWF IS AFAVORABLE TRACK FOR HEAVY SNOW OVER SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN...WITH THEGFS A LITTLE FARTHER NORTH. HEAVY PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS ON BOTHMODELS...WITH THE HEAVIEST ON THE GFS. THIS WILL BE A POTENTIALSNOWSTORM FOR LATER THURSDAY OR FRIDAY. PREFER THE SOMEWHAT SLOWERECMWF SO WILL NOT RAISE POPS FROM THE CONSENSUS GRIDS ON THURSDAY.

Refresh my memory. How did the models handle GHD a week before the event?

Honestly, I remember they were all over the place relative to what they are showing at this point for this storm.  In the 4-7 day range, most were suppressed relative to the areas that were affected with heavy snow, suggesting more of an Ohio Valley hit.  They wavered, and I think the GEM and GFS were the most stubborn to abandon more suppressed solutions.

Honestly, I remember they were all over the place relative to what they are showing at this point for this storm.  In the 4-7 day range, most were suppressed relative to the areas that were affected with heavy snow, suggesting more of an Ohio Valley hit.  They wavered, and I think the GEM and GFS were the most stubborn to abandon more suppressed solutions.

Correct.

The EURO had it the most consistent for the longest period of time. I remember Skilling was excited about it a full week ahead of time.

Correct.

The EURO had it the most consistent for the longest period of time. I remember Skilling was excited about it a full week ahead of time.

Yes, the Euro at that time might've had its pinnacle of success and reputation in the eyes of most of us weather weenies and forecasters.  The Euro this year has been fine, but I certainly wouldn't feel as confident in it at this point in time given it's had its ups and downs this winters like most models.

Glad I saved some of the 240 hr Euro images for this storm...just in case :weenie:

I've started saving images with the 12z runs today. Even though it's about 50/50 that I see any snow/wintry wx out of this system. But, it looks like a pretty major storm...and I hope to at some point after, post them as a sort of reanalysis.

Yeah, :weenie:

Archived