Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 21st - 23rd Winter Storm

Powerball

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warm up the diving board for wisconsinwx.

What a weird run.

Indeed it was. Gets shredded as it makes it's approach.

Thing looked like it was gonna cut TN/KY but then decides to turn north and tracks near the OH/IN line to Detroit but a coastal gets going and robs our low of all it's moisture.

Indeed it was. Gets shredded as it makes it's approach.

Thing looked like it was gonna cut TN/KY but then decides to turn north and tracks near the OH/IN line to Detroit but a coastal gets going and robs our low of all it's moisture.

Sounds like a weird track. Does it get shredded east of the MS River like the GGEM?

At this point in time, with real good consistency between the ECMWF and the GEM (I will buy into it's upgrade) operational  runs I tend to discount their ensembles, and ensemble means as they run on a lower resolution.  When I see the operational GFS starting to lean towards the Euro and Gem ops runs it leads me to say that KS/NE and Iowa will get clocked, and a further north trend is unlikely, the system will likely weaken as it moves into the OH Valley

At this point in time, with real good consistency between the ECMWF and the GEM (I will buy into it's upgrade) operational  runs I tend to discount their ensembles, and ensemble means as they run on a lower resolution.  When I see the operational GFS starting to lean towards the Euro and Gem ops runs it leads me to say that KS/NE and Iowa will get clocked, and a further north trend is unlikely, the system will likely weaken as it moves into the OH Valley

The Euro just trended wayy south...the Canadian was already south but trended way weaker. I wouldn't say anything has been consistent except for the GFS being one of the more northern models for a few days now.

Then there's the nogaps which shows what happens when there's no semblance of a 500 low anywhere near the lakes and the storm has all the room in the world to amplify and pump a ridge.... 992 low to se IA and severe wx up into the ov.

I think severe weather into the OV might be pushing it. :lol:

Looks like prior stronger runs of the GFS: http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NOGAPS_0z/nogapsloop.html'>http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NOGAPS_0z/nogapsloop.html

To complete the circle of questionable models...0z FIM was an west to east bowler through central IL/IN. Kinda weak, but still a decent hit for several. The 12z run from yesterday had a sub 990 low cutting through Iowa. Good continuity.

Any circle of questionable models has to include the CRAS.

Archived