• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 21st - 23rd Winter Storm

Powerball

I've started saving images with the 12z runs today. Even though it's about 50/50 that I see any snow/wintry wx out of this system. But, it looks like a pretty major storm...and I hope to at some point after, post them as a sort of reanalysis.

Yeah, :weenie:

Keep the faith buddy...honestly I think we end up seeing a nasty ice storm here. Not what I want, but it makes sense with the heavy snow band not to far to our north.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've started saving images with the 12z runs today. Even though it's about 50/50 that I see any snow/wintry wx out of this system. But, it looks like a pretty major storm...and I hope to at some point after, post them as a sort of reanalysis.

Yeah, :weenie:

we spend all winter waiting for these....we're not even remotely due for something like what's being modeled but what the heck

I see the models held serve while I slept, if anything they were a bit better out this way. The only thing that I will say is, lets hope the early in the week system doesn't stick around too close, because then you end up with too much confluence and a GGEM like solution.

Wow, full suite of GEFS members. Awesome find.

Yeah. That site is awesome. 

So people were asking about GHD earlier, and what the models showed. The threads are in the central/western forum BTW. Anyway, I went to the first thread, and on the second page I found this...

Posted on January 24, 2011 at 7:45am by our resident storm guru, Alek:

"0z ECM was a step in the right direction for those in the eastern OH valley who are still in the game."

Nailed it. :D

To be fair, he came back with this at 10:11am:

"After doing some looking around, I think there is more potential with this period than i had originally thought."

Yeah. That site is awesome. 

So people were asking about GHD earlier, and what the models showed. The threads are in the central/western forum BTW. Anyway, I went to the first thread, and on the second page I found this...

Posted on January 24, 2011 at 7:45am by our resident storm guru, Alek:

"0z ECM was a step in the right direction for those in the eastern OH valley who are still in the game."

Nailed it. :D

To be fair, he came back with this at 10:11am:

"After doing some looking around, I think there is more potential with this period than i had originally thought."

That was originally dubbed the Mexico blizzard lol.

:yikes:

I only read 5 or so pages, but it doesn't seem like the models were all showing a monster at that range. Very few really. A few quotes from the 12z runs on the 24th...

12z GFS really mucks this one up. SW cutoff, lingers...lingers, moves steadily SE and then it gets crushed way south by the PV. Shocker.

Yeah the 12z GGEM looks fairly close to the 0z Euro. GFS not even in the same ballpark right now.

Long way out but 12z GGEM at 180 fwiw: that would be a nice hit, and with the second and stronger piece of energy behind it.

12z Euro looks fairly similar to the 0z run FWIW. Maybe a slight bit more ridging out in front. Decent hit of snow for the QC to southern WI to N IL to N IN to S MI through 174. Awaiting more frames...

Turns into a glorified front post 180, where as the 0z run had some development for the OV on the tail end. Regardless probably a 2-4", maybe a bit more in places, type of deal for the areas outlined before.

EDIT: 12z GGEM from the 25th: 12z GGEM has a 1004 mb low over Evansville at 168 hours.

nice work...separating legend from reality

Euro bought in on the afternoon of the 25th too. Though was too far southeast in the end, but not bad 6-7 days out. Clearly, the GFS was playing catch up...

Needless to say, the GFS be on its own. Euro going to keep it...at 144 light-mod overrunning snows for IA, MN, and WI.

SLP in SE. Indiana at 156hrs. Nice hit for ORD/LAF/DTW/STL.

I just saw 144 on the PSU site. Yeah, that would have elicited an uh oh from me if I was in LAF. Based on the slp configuration at that time, I'm surprised this thing didn't cut.

18Z GFS is a significant change towards the Euro. Large high to the NNE of the storm moving SE as it comes off the Rockies. Would be a crushing hit to ORD and west (along I80) with a crippling ice storm in the I-70 corridor. The storm is already occluding as it moves across KS.

This ^^ I can't even begin to tell you how concerning it is to know that someone is going to get a crippling ice storm out of this. Images flashback to my mind from Louisville in 2009.

Fortunately for you SSC, we already waste considerable computing power on doing just that. It's called the DGEX. Otherwise known as "the attempt to compress a turd to make a diamond".

Isn't the DGEX some sort of NAM-GFS hybrid? NAM initialization with GFS parameters or some such? Can't have that precious >84hr NAM nectar diluted. 

Isn't the DGEX some sort of NAM-GFS hybrid? NAM initialization with GFS parameters or some such? Can't have that precious >84hr NAM nectar diluted. 

Something like that. It's crap on a stick.

Here's the wide angle version, complete with clown map. Congrats MSP, LSE, etc...though others do fine as well.

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/mmbpll/dgexops.conus/'>http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/mmbpll/dgexops.conus/

Archived