SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 21st - 23rd Winter Storm

Powerball

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides the early thread start jibber-jabber, yes, pretty much everything is on board for a potential significant system with a ton of energy from the Pacific Jet diving into the west (and likely becoming coupled with the ST jet in some fashion). What happens ahead of that is key.

Can't wait for severe weather season to be a complete bust.

Headline on CNN, 4/9/13: "Lafayette, IN struck by a violent, nighttime tornado after 'meteorologist' Chad Myers declared an outbreak in the Great Lakes region over because cooling of the atmosphere would put an end to tornadic supercells."

East coast transfer. Mediocre storm further west

Talking transfer and MW "bust" this early is a little much, isn't it? We're not even close to making a definitive call if the storm will even happen. Though model evidence points in the direction of a storm...right now.. Relax. We can fine tune the details down the road.

Talking transfer and MW "bust" this early is a little much, isn't it? We're not even close to making a definitive call if the storm will even happen. Though model evidence points in the direction of a storm...right now.. Relax. We can fine tune the details down the road.

Yeah I don't get some people, they are just looking to denounce a potential without any real reasoning other than to be contrarian.

Yeah I don't get some people, they are just looking to denounce a potential without any real reasoning other than to be contrarian.[/quote

We are not even within truncation. I never said there was not a threat. I just said I thought it will cut hard or end up being a bigger threat to the east coast

Yeah I don't get some people, they are just looking to denounce a potential without any real reasoning other than to be contrarian.

We are not even within truncation. I never said there was not a threat. I just said I thought it will cut hard or end up being a bigger threat to the east coast

Yes I understand that but there is no basis to that happening. The pattern doesn't match it.

I'll probably get blasted by some for saying this, but oh well...being negative about the storm at this range, without any reasoning, is kinda silly. There are still plenty of options on the table, and no one has any real clue about the end result.

And one more thing, people taking personal shots at others is really lame. Why any of this is allowed is beyond me. Can't we just talk about the weather on here and leave the other crap at some other place better suited for it?

I'll probably get blasted by some for saying this, but oh well...being negative about the storm at this range, without any reasoning, is kinda silly. There are still plenty of options on the table, and no one has any real clue about the end result.

And one more thing, people taking personal shots at others is really lame. Why any of this is allowed is beyond me. Can't we just talk about the weather on here and leave the other crap at some other place better suited for it?

Spot on.

Oh and better believe if someone feels the need to take a pop shot i'll fire back. Leave me out of it and i'll stay out of it. Very easy me thinks.

This doesn't look like a classic SW to NE moving cutter to me anyways.  With the AO/NAO trying or starting to get into negative territory at that time frame and the hemispheric pattern looking the way that it is I just don't see it in the cards this cuts Northeastward in movement, and if it did it probably wouldn't happen til it reached somewhere over Indiana/Eastern Illinois or that general area- at which time yes it could then fill and transfer to another low...but don't see that as a strong option at this point due to what is likely to be happening over the Atlantic. 

This does, in fact look like a system that could be a nice/strong bowling ball type of system with good moisture feed, good cold air feed (and not cutting into the lakes will help temper the warm air draw a bit too), and good jet dynamics in place.  Way to early to start getting fine with the smaller features that MAY produce a decent snow.  At this point its all potential and trend watching, nothing more.  But the threat is there from this baby to give a good chunk of the middle areas of this forum its first decent snow all Winter.  Stay Tuned...

If this thing Jerry Taft's on us and only drops 1-3" oh well. 

This doesn't look like a classic SW to NE moving cutter to me anyways. With the AO/NAO trying or starting to get into negative territory at that time frame and the hemispheric pattern looking the way that it is I just don't see it in the cards this cuts Northeastward in movement, and if it did it probably wouldn't happen til it reached somewhere over Indiana/Eastern Illinois or that general area- at which time yes it could then fill and transfer to another low...but don't see that as a strong option at this point due to what is likely to be happening over the Atlantic.

This does, in fact look like a system that could be a nice/strong bowling ball type of system with good moisture feed, good cold air feed (and not cutting into the lakes will help temper the warm air draw a bit too), and good jet dynamics in place. Way to early to start getting fine with the smaller features that MAY produce a decent snow. At this point its all potential and trend watching, nothing more. But the threat is there from this baby to give a good chunk of the middle areas of this forum its first decent snow all Winter. Stay Tuned...

Great post, basically what I was trying to convey.

This doesn't look like a classic SW to NE moving cutter to me anyways.  With the AO/NAO trying or starting to get into negative territory at that time frame and the hemispheric pattern looking the way that it is I just don't see it in the cards this cuts Northeastward in movement, and if it did it probably wouldn't happen til it reached somewhere over Indiana/Eastern Illinois or that general area- at which time yes it could then fill and transfer to another low...but don't see that as a strong option at this point due to what is likely to be happening over the Atlantic. 

This does, in fact look like a system that could be a nice/strong bowling ball type of system with good moisture feed, good cold air feed (and not cutting into the lakes will help temper the warm air draw a bit too), and good jet dynamics in place.  Way to early to start getting fine with the smaller features that MAY produce a decent snow.  At this point its all potential and trend watching, nothing more.  But the threat is there from this baby to give a good chunk of the middle areas of this forum its first decent snow all Winter.  Stay Tuned...

Excellent summation, I would completely agree with it. Also lol at the last line, hopefully no one is 'Taft'ed

lol

Archived