joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8th-9th Snowstorm/Blizzard Event Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What exactly would you consider normal for western Monmouth?

I estimate about 30"

I calculated our 30 year normal to be 29.0" with my data from 2000-present and New Brunswick's back to 1980. 50 year average of 29.3". The past 13 years boosted our average a solid 1-1.2" or so.

Whenever we get a little bit of a snowy period out here, I am always reminded of the wise advice Lou Manheim gave to Bud Fox in Wall Street...

"You're on a roll kid...enjoy it while it lasts...because it never does."

Ahh ok I guess I was looking at the JFK total and farther back in NJ I know some were not too thrilled last night.

The snow wasn't really sticking in my area until the evening time. I live right near the water and that hurt me for the first part of the storm. I still received 9.3 inches from this storm.

Ended up with close to 10 inches here In brooklyn!

9.3 here :snowwindow:

I never thought any storm would rival the consistent heavy snowfall rates of the Blizzard Of 83, but this one easily surpassed it.  In 1983 I had 23" in 14 hrs.  Those of you who recall 83, will remember it started at 1pm or so on the Island, quickly went over to S+ by 2pm and remained heavy through 4am.  This storm was beginning to frustrate me as a friend of mine in Smithtown had nearly a foot on the ground at 9pm Friday while the sleet mixed with a few flakes lasted nearly 7 hours ( 2pm -9pm) here in Lindenhurst.  That , after nearly 3/4" of rain fell.  With the changeover to all snow ocurring at 9pm my total stood at  about 1" of sleet .  By 11pm I stood at  about 4".  Between 11pm and 5 am  it was S++ much of the time.  I finished with nearly 20". In trying to analyze the distibution of the higher amounts, one may concur that it was your typical North of the L.IE jackpot area, But KISP and Mastic both came in with nearly 28"  Mastic, of course is South of Sunrise HWY, while the Airport is only a mile or so North of Sunrise HWY. The only thing I can conclude is that it was a combination of 2 factors.  Those areas that received nearly a foot more than others in such a short distance were under the influence of stronger VV's in the banded precip that cooled the warm tongue at 925mb due to more intense rates and also being further from the ocean unfluence.  If anyone has another explaination I would like to hear it.  My wind direction averaged 070 until the changeover, then backed to 040, so I know why I went over to snow but I can't imagine that playing much of a role for areas further east because their wind direction would have backed later than me.

Living in Lynbrook (westernn Nassau off the southern state), where is the closest I can take a drive to today eastward to see first hand the 24" + snow amounts before being stopped by blocked LIE and Sunrise Hgwy roads? Suggestions, directions? ETA's LOL

Good question.  I noticed that even though ISP reported 27", their snow depth yesterday morning was 25" and now its down to 22".

Good question.  I noticed that even though ISP reported 27", their snow depth yesterday morning was 25" and now its down to 22".

Once on jehrico tpke in Suffolk county it's just 25 to 30 everywhere I'm in the last town in Nassau just off northern blvd right on he sound there was 23 here. But once to Huntington and northport and on east it's just epic period. Lotta 30s

Once on jehrico tpke in Suffolk county it's just 25 to 30 everywhere I'm in the last town in Nassau just off northern blvd right on he sound there was 23 here. But once to Huntington and northport and on east it's just epic period. Lotta 30s

I know what you're saying but that's not quite what I'm saying.  I'm saying that if someone actually wanted to see a certain depth of snow, they'd have to go further than the actual reports because snow settles and melts and sublimates.  They've already lost 5" at ISP (more now I'm sure). 

I know what you're saying but that's not quite what I'm saying.  I'm saying that if someone actually wanted to see a certain depth of snow, they'd have to go further than the actual reports because snow settles and melts and sublimates.  They've already lost 5" at ISP (more now I'm sure). 

I had 27" that had settled to 23" by this morning.

OKX had 31" that had settled to 22" by this morning.

I'm not sure what that means.

Edit, FWIW, we snowed in the morning, then mixed sleet and rain, then flipped to mostly snow between noon and 1PM.  I wiped the snowboards at 7:00PM and 1:20 AM.

The morning total was 0.3".  We only had about 0.2" SWE before the final flop to frozen.

Here are running snow totals:

early AM snow - 0.3"

7:00PM = 10.3"

1:20AM = 23.1"

Final = 27.0"

Guest Tek1972
Medford NY had 33.5" wow... highest in Suffolk County.

I worked in Medford as a dispatcher during the storm. I can verify that 33 inches. Absolutely incredible. 2 of our biggest fire engines were stuck for hours.

Snowfall 2012-13 Season

Through February 9, 2013:

Portland, ME: 66.9"

Worcester: 63.5"

Burlington, VT: 61.0"

Bridgeport, CT: 51.2"

Caribou: 50.7"

Concord, NH: 47.6"

Binghamton: 45.4"

Hartford: 44.4"

Islip, NY: 37.3"

Boston (Logan): 35.6"

Providence: 35.5"

Albany, NY: 26.4"

Scranton: 25.7"

Newark, NJ: 20.7"

NYC Central Park: 18.8"

Allentown: 16.8"

NYC LGA: 16.1"

NYC JFK: 13.2"

Atlantic City: 10.1"

Philadelphia: 6.8"

Wilmington, DE: 6.8"

Washington (Dulles): 4.9"

Balimore (BWI): 4.6"

Richmond: 3.2"

Norfolk, VA: 1.6"

Washington (National / Reagan): 1.5"

I was at my parent's house earlier today in Muttontown and measured 14" & 16" in spots on the South side of the house.  So I figure they got around 18" from the storm, since I am sure some of the snow compacted a tad yesterday afternoon in the sun.  Just crazy how a few miles over into Suffolk county totals start to ramp up to 2'+, that band that setup from C LI to C CT really dumped on those areas, as evidenced by the snow total reports.

I had 27" that had settled to 23" by this morning.

OKX had 31" that had settled to 22" by this morning.

I'm not sure what that means.

Edit, FWIW, we snowed in the morning, then mixed sleet and rain, then flipped to mostly snow between noon and 1PM.  I wiped the snowboards at 7:00PM and 1:20 AM.

The morning total was 0.3".  We only had about 0.2" SWE before the final flop to frozen.

Here are running snow totals:

early AM snow - 0.3"

7:00PM = 10.3"

1:20AM = 23.1"

Final = 27.0"

I'm pretty sure OKX -- while recording 30.9" of snow, used the 6-hour snowboard method, meaning their final depth was lower than 30.9"...probably around 25 or 26". 

I worked in Medford as a dispatcher during the storm. I can verify that 33 inches. Absolutely incredible. 2 of our biggest fire engines were stuck for hours.

I could definitely tell there was a max near that area on my drive through. Just an incredible scene out that way. Here everything was cleared up easily by the morning.

I had 14 total in Wantagh all of which fell overnight and some of which was 3 inch an hour banding. Decent storm in the end but hard to deal when it was falling as rain and sleet and 5 miles north it was all snow. Ill take it though 14 is 14 after all!

I think the highest totals in Nassau were around 18 inches up near Syosset. Just between Syosset and Huntington there seemed to be a decent difference. Things really came together in a hurry just east of the border.

Archived