Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
2/4-2/5 Lt. Snow Disco/Obs Thread

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the most impressive radar image we have had with any of the clippers. I want to see if it wants to turn the corner after crossing the mountains.

it looks ok, but this overall pattern is not conducive to much more than conversational snow east of the mountains.  seems like these systems become very showery as they cross the mountains.  as long as your expectations are low you will do fine.  personally, i'd rather this pattern be done with and start a new one as quickly as we can before the season is out instead of relying on these positively tilted clippers.

I'm with Ian... bulldoze the mountains!

Then you lose CAD. So good luck with that....and the upslope folks will lose that too. Besides, these systems are already moisture starved...the mountains don't matter (well they do but not to get huge snow). We get our best snowfalls with coastals. 

Then you lose CAD. So good luck with that....and the upslope folks will lose that too. Besides, these systems are already moisture starved...the mountains don't matter (well they do but not to get huge snow). We get our best snowfalls with coastals. 

CAD isn't as great as a lot of people act like it is. We'd still get coastals.

Mountains don't really steal snow as much as they make their own. If the mountains didn't exist we would do about as well as cinci with clippers which is only slightly better. But I guess when we are hoping for .04 and we end up with .03 it kinda hurts. 

Mountains don't really steal snow as much as they make their own. If the mountains didn't exist we would do about as well as cinci with clippers which is only slightly better. But I guess when we are hoping for .04 and we end up with .03 it kinda hurts. 

Downsloping can dry things out on our side, though.  Clippers are definitely made for the midwest and upslope terrain.  Overrunning precip from the south is when we do our damage.  Would be nice to have a low forming in the Tennessee Valley heading our way ala the good ol' days.

Yeah, I really don't want to bulldoze the mountains.  They're actually quite nice.  Before moving here I had no idea though how much of a hindrance they could be to piedmont and coastal plain to the east with a west to east moving system.  My other problem: moving here in 2009 kinda has my expectations set perhaps a bit high...

Really? I thought from KU's work that CAD is important for keeping the metropolis snow vs. rain (in a majority of the 30 KU cases). They link it with coastal frontogenesis as factors that affect the low's path.

Edited- Or even more directly, that CAD leads to coastal frontogenesis, the pair of which keep the low on the coast or offshore.

Really? I thought from KU's work that CAD is important for keeping the metropolis snow vs. rain (in a majority of the 30 KU cases). They link it with coastal frontogenesis as factors that affect the low's path.

could be.. i knew i was probably overgeneralizing when i saw you posting. half of your posts might be correcting my snow assumptions. ;)

i mean i dunno.. we get a lot of cad that doesn't bring snow. without the mtns we'd get more precip from the west and lakes etc. not sure it would mean snowier winters or less big snows etc.

i'd probably rather keep them for the lee trough anyway.

It is rather important if you ask me.  This place would be worse than Ohio for keeping snow in place for a good length of time without the warm air interfering.  We benefit by far in most winters.

could be.. i knew i was probably overgeneralizing when i saw you posting. half of your posts might be correcting my snow assumptions. ;)

i mean i dunno.. we get a lot of cad that doesn't bring snow. without the mtns we'd get more precip from the west and lakes etc. not sure it would mean snowier winters or less big snows etc.

i'd probably rather keep them for the lee trough anyway.

That and it would also be terrible to miss out on Mar-Apr mult-day fog drizzle fests. 

Honestly, at 3-4k feet they don't all that much damage precip wise. Yea, they cut back on west flow events in the winter a bit but it's not all that significant. The vertical rise isn't enough to cause much of a shadow like places in the lee of the rockies. The fact that we still get precip with clippers says a lot. Denver would barely have clouds. 

If the RAP ran every 15 minutes I'd like it even more...

lol- spoken like a true junkie.

You have to like the area of good lift/forcing in in / oh. I think that's what the rap is keying on with it's heavier axis. Someone could see a nice period of really good rates and big flakes. We'll see. Plenty of time to dry up and fall apart. 

That's a loaded statement. 

Miller B-- would be harder to get with certain conditions.  R/S line would push further inland.

Think of Dec 18-19, 2009. It was rain west of the appies in many places. Only snowed east because of CAD impact. 

That and it would also be terrible to miss out on Mar-Apr mult-day fog drizzle fests. 

Honestly, at 3-4k feet they don't all that much damage precip wise. Yea, they cut back on west flow events in the winter a bit but it's not all that significant. The vertical rise isn't enough to cause much of a shadow like places in the lee of the rockies. The fact that we still get precip with clippers says a lot. Denver would barely have clouds. 

I won't quibble with KU. I guess I should read it more than just look at the pictures. I'm sure CAD helps tho I'm not sold we wouldn't still get big coastal snows without it.

Agree the mtns aren't a huge problem overall... they probably do contribute a bit to our relatively plentiful sunshine even at their meager height which is a bonus even for a person who loves bad weather.

I just haven't seen many situations where CAD was huge as far as snow goes since I've been here. If we got more overrunning snows maybe.. that just doesn't seem terribly common. But maybe I'm not factoring in minor CAD etc. 

Fortunately for the disco.. the mtns arent going anywhere for a while.

That's a loaded statement. 

Miller B-- would be harder to get with certain conditions.  R/S line would push further inland.

Think of Dec 18-19, 2009. It was rain west of the appies in many places. Only snowed east because of CAD impact. 

hmm, so worse miller bs and less snowcover days.. pretty awful. :P

you guys got me on this one.. no other good retorts for now.

I won't quibble with KU. I guess I should read it more than just look at the pictures. I'm sure CAD helps tho I'm not sold we wouldn't still get big coastal snows without it.

Agree the mtns aren't a huge problem overall... they probably do contribute a bit to our relatively plentiful sunshine even at their meager height which is a bonus even for a person who loves bad weather.

I just haven't seen many situations where CAD was huge as far as snow goes since I've been here. If we got more overrunning snows maybe.. that just doesn't seem terribly common. But maybe I'm not factoring in minor CAD etc. 

Fortunately for the disco.. the mtns arent going anywhere for a while.

Blizzard of 96 had HUGE cad which really helped the first half of the snow... 

Pd2 would have been a different beast without cad too.. much more rain for a while. and then eventually the warming aloft kicked it over to sleet regardless. 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

504 PM EST MON FEB 4 2013

MDZ003-004-WVZ052-050615-

/O.EXA.KLWX.WW.Y.0009.000000T0000Z-130205T1100Z/

WASHINGTON-FREDERICK MD-BERKELEY-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HAGERSTOWN...FREDERICK...MARTINSBURG

504 PM EST MON FEB 4 2013

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS

ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...

WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST TUESDAY.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...1 TO 2 INCHES.

* TIMING...LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW EARLY THIS EVENING...BECOMING

HEAVIER LATER THIS EVENING THROUGH THE EARLY MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE UPPER 20S.

* WINDS...SOUTH 10 MPH...BECOMING WEST LATE TONIGHT.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL WILL BECOME DIFFICULT WITH SNOW COVERED ROADS

AND VISIBILITIES REDUCED TO AROUND ONE-QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW

WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW

COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE

DRIVING.

&&

$$

Archived