• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
2/4-2/5 Lt. Snow Disco/Obs Thread

WinterWxLuvr

I'm curious as to how you would know that.  The SREFS put down more than 0.1 for your area as well as mine.  That the RAP would be wet isn't that big of a surprise.  It has been pretty good.  Not sure I understand the theory that if something looks decent on a model that it has to be wrong.

Well, the run I looked at gave us 0.30+ liquid.  No other model even shows much more than half that amount.

Believe me, I hope its on to something.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the run I looked at gave us 0.30+ liquid.  No other model even shows much more than half that amount.

Believe me, I hope its on to something.

I'm not sure what run you were looking at. the 09Z SREF has one member giving bwi .14 with the mean and median being .06.  Dc's heaviest member was .06 wotj tje median being .02.  Even the one member giving BWI .14 looked dubious and appeared to me to be an outlier.  The low going almost over us with a really weak vort suggests overrunning/warm advection will be the primary lifting mechanism and that will be north of the low.  Up towards the PA border might do pretty well.  DC south, looks pretty grim. 

It's sure an outlier compared to the SREF and NAM. What did the almighty Euro give us last night?

.05 to DC/Balt.. a bit less for you prob (non shaded so maybe .04?). .1" line western loudoun area.

this one does look juicier west of the apps than the others have been. the vort doesnt look as good as it did once.. now tomorrow looks better in that dept. tho i wonder if it'll totally de-juice. my guess is the nam is too dry.

the rap gives us like 8 hours of snow. im hugging the crap out of it.

attachicon.gifRAP_255_2013020413_F13_CREF_SURFACE.png

At least the GFS is still giving us precip. I'd believe it before the NAM though the latter's resolution should theoretically give it an advantage.  I never know what to make of the RAP.  I don't think I got any of the measureable it gave me yesterday. I only saw light flurries. 

I'm not sure what run you were looking at. the 09Z SREF has one member giving bwi .14 with the mean and median being .06.  Dc's heaviest member was .06 wotj tje median being .02.  Even the one member giving BWI .14 looked dubious and appeared to me to be an outlier.  The low going almost over us with a really weak vort suggests overrunning/warm advection will be the primary lifting mechanism and that will be north of the low.  Up towards the PA border might do pretty well.  DC south, looks pretty grim. 

Wes, I was referring to the RAP run.  I'm counting on my location 8 miles from the Mason-Dixon line helping me out tonight. :)

EDIT- And yes, the RAP promised me more snow Saturday and Sunday than I saw here.

.05 to DC/Balt.. a bit less for you prob (non shaded so maybe .04?). .1" line western loudoun area.

this one does look juicier west of the apps than the others have been. the vort doesnt look as good as it did once.. now tomorrow looks better in that dept. tho i wonder if it'll totally de-juice. my guess is the nam is too dry.

I agree about the NAM.  I suspect it is too dry but do think north may do better than south with this one. 

At least the GFS is still giving us precip. I'd believe it before the NAM though the latter's resolution should theoretically give it an advantage.  I never know what to make of the RAP.  I don't think I got any of the measureable it gave me yesterday. I only saw light flurries. 

RAP never looked that great to me yesterday. It did pass some stuff thru but looked mainly scattered like we saw. The daytime stuff had no chance where it fell with temps near freezing. I don't follow it enough to say whether it's better than worse but I think it's useful if you use an avg of runs etc., perhaps always hedging on the dry side of its forecast. It is quite wet (.3"+ in spots).. tho sharp gradient NW to SE. I think someone could do 'well' in the area.

post-1615-0-69295100-1359993740_thumb.pn

yeah...someone might get banded good again, but it will probably be the northern burbs...I can already envision watching the band from Germantown to Columbia and we get nicked

the soundign have us pretty dry below 850 mb on the GFS and RAP.  I hope we get into the better band as it would saturate that lower level but think it might be a sign that this time things will be north and we'll get fringed. Plus it's not going to be below freezing when we start. 

the soundign have us pretty dry below 850 mb on the GFS and RAP.  I hope we get into the better band as it would saturate that lower level but think it might be a sign that this time things will be north and we'll get fringed. Plus it's not going to be below freezing when we start. 

I wonder how many people from places like York and Lancaster will show up out of nowhere tonight with obs and pictures

I wonder how many people from places like York and Lancaster will show up out of nowhere tonight with obs and pictures

I hope they do show pics and report obs. As has been discussed far too many times, there are lots of folks that live in southern York Co. and work in the Baltimore area. No reason at all for them to not post in the MA threads. Our imaginary message board boundaries are stupid.

I hope they do show pics and report obs. As has been discussed far too many times, there are lots of folks that live in southern York Co. and work in the Baltimore area. No reason at all for them to not post in the MA threads. Our imaginary message board boundaries are stupid.

most of them contribute very little except hit and run obs/pics when it snows there

If I have family in the Berkshires, can I post obs and pics of snow they get?

I really dont care that much...I like pics of snow....I just find it amusing

I really dont care that much...I like pics of snow....I just find it amusing

Think about it this way....would you rather have folks posting about snow that is really close by or read the daily pissing matches in these threads or posts with people talking about who is or is not on their ignore lists.

Think about it this way....would you rather have folks posting about snow that is really close by or read the daily pissing matches in these threads or posts with people talking about who is or is not on their ignore lists.

that's silly. state lines are very accurate when it comes to delineating  weather and climate.

With the way this winter has gone, the ignore list drama is more entertaining.

Archived