joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 2-3 Clipper Discussion and Observations

stormtracker

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok,  the GFS does give us something with the Tracker clipper.  I haven't looked at boundary layer temps but suspect they could be a problem

Wes, I keep seeing some sort of Norlun feature that comes and goes on the modeling, particularly the euro/nam/sref, over NJ. As much as I'd like to believe this will set up over me (more likely north of me, lol), do you feel this is something that is possible? The nature of the trough and cyclonic vorticity makes me think it's a possibility, but I'm not sure.

Wes, I keep seeing some sort of Norlun feature that comes and goes on the modeling, particularly the euro/nam/sref, over NJ. As much as I'd like to believe this will set up over me (more likely north of me, lol), do you feel this is something that is possible? The nature of the trough and cyclonic vorticity makes me think it's a possibility, but I'm not sure.

we never get norluned here....if so that is almost certainly a Lancaster-Philly-Trenton event

I've never had much luck with Norlun features.  The strength of the the vort digging southward and taking on a nagative tilt is somewhat a cause for concern.  The low goes out with one of the early weaker vorts so the strong one doesn't have much to work with.  However, it has a negative tilt, is strong and may try.  It should at least produce show showers.  If it does get an inverted trough to work with then you could have a norlun feature but forecasting one to produce over the mid atl is beyond by ability. 

Funny you say HM, I've seen the norlun on the models for the past few days, and the vorticity orientation helps you guys in comparison to those in NE.

we never get norluned here....if so that is almost certainly a Lancaster-Philly-Trenton event

Yeah it is a rare thing even up here and I agree that your area has pretty much <10% chance for one here. I was wondering what his thoughts were for NJ (yes I was being a weenie). :)

I've never had much luck with Norlun features.  The strength of the the vort digging southward and taking on a nagative tilt is somewhat a cause for concern.  The low goes out with one of the early weaker vorts so the strong one doesn't have much to work with.  However, it has a negative tilt, is strong and may try.  It should at least produce show showers.  If it does get an inverted trough to work with then you could have a norlun feature but forecasting one is beyond to produce over the mid atl is beyond by ability. 

Thanks for the response and it makes sense. If it is something that is going to happen, we'll see it trend that way on Saturday's runs. I have had a few occur in my lifetime but they were from more organized vort maxes / lows offshore with a clear inverted trough. This one coming up is close but not classic, even if based on a small sample size.

Funny you say HM, I've seen the norlun on the models for the past few days, and the vorticity orientation helps you guys in comparison to those in NE.

It definitely would be something that NE can benefit from but every so often the modeling tries to start it up down my way (NJ-NYC). We'll see...I give it a 30% chance for N-C NJ / NYC.

Yeah it is a rare thing even up here and I agree that your area has pretty much <10% chance for one here. I was wondering what his thoughts were for NJ (yes I was being a weenie). :)

Thanks for the response and it makes sense. If it is something that is going to happen, we'll see it trend that way on Saturday's runs. I have had a few occur in my lifetime but they were from more organized vort maxes / lows offshore with a clear inverted trough. This one coming up is close but not classic, even if based on a small sample size.

It definitely would be something that NE can benefit from but every so often the modeling tries to start it up down my way (NJ-NYC). We'll see...I give it a 30% chance for N-C NJ / NYC.

yeah...you had the one a few years ago that dumped a foot over Lancaster

The good news is tomorrow's clipper does not appear to have boundary layer problems so if we get the GFS QPF, we'll see snow. I think we may actually have a better chance with the stronger vort giving us snow showers on Sunday though with the strong northwesterly winds, it still would at most be a car topper for us. 

What is the euro doing with the clipper saturday night/Sunday morning.  Any QPF? 

Leesburg,  I don't recall having a norlun (inverted) surface trough that focussed convergence. I remember stuff moving from east to west because of a closed upper low. 

<0.05" if any...there is more promise Sunday afternoon evening when we get 0.05 - 0.10"

What is the euro doing with the clipper saturday night/Sunday morning.  Any QPF? 

Leesburg,  I don't recall having a norlun (inverted) surface trough that focussed convergence. I remember stuff moving from east to west because of a closed upper low. 

Verbatim at DCA:

Sat/Sun: .01

Sun/Mon: .02

Tues: .06

Wedn: .09

thanks, yeah...but there is more to the north and west with that system and the precip maxes are higher elsewhere with the subsequent 2, particularly the 4th threat

Text output at GAI in Gaithersburg:

Sat/Sun: 0.0"

Sun/Mon: .03" over three 6 hour windows instead of two at DCA

Tues: .08"

Wedn: .08"

FDK

Sat/Sun: .01"

Sun/Mon: .03"

Tues: .06"

Wedn: .07"

Archived