• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Spring 2013

heavy_wx

Awesome photos! I got to take a drive up there at some point. Hopefully there will still be some epic snow depth.

And I didnt even go any further east past Worth,NY where the elevation goes up another 300-400 feet because there was just too much snow on the roads and I didnt wanna risk getting stuck. Still was an amazing day. If I drove all the way from Buffalo you should definitely take the ride up there from Oswego! It only took 3 hours to get there from Buffalo although I was doing 75-80mph the whole way. 

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I didnt even go any further east past Worth,NY where the elevation goes up another 300-400 feet because there was just too much snow on the roads and I didnt wanna risk getting stuck. Still was an amazing day. If I drove all the way from Buffalo you should definitely take the ride up there from Oswego! It only took 3 hours to get there from Buffalo although I was doing 75-80mph the whole way. 

Nice Devin!!  I work with a buddy who drives down from the Montague area (within 5 miles of the radar site, about 10 miles east of where you were)...he says about 4-5 feet fell at his house the last 3 days.....amazing stuff!  Coming down nicely IMBY at this time!!  Feels like mid Feb.  and the pattern certainly seems about a month displaced.

from the looks of things, I think Jamestown might pull of 3 or 4" in the 700mb deformation/TROWAL this morning.

as WNYLakeEffect said above me near Jamestown did great. Better than 3-4". Jamestown reported 5" as of 8am and it was snowingly pretty solidly up until an hour or 2 ago and is still snowing there lightly right now. Very nice little unexpected event for them. Not a flake here though :/

Nice pictures lakeffectkid! I don't know about you guys but I've had the flu for the last week and this weather is tearing me down to the core. I am in full spring mode, please bring me 70s and sunshine soon! Luckily I will be going to Florida for a week in early April! I am ready to get a nice tan and enjoy some outdoor sports!  SO LONG WINTER! =)

I just spent 3 days skiing in the Adirondacks and saw an interesting variability in snow cover.

First day was at Lapland Lake in Benson.  All the trails are groomed but snow in the woods looked to be at least a foot deep.

Second day was at Santononi Preserve in Newcomb.  The snowpack there was impressive, close to 2 feet.

Then went to Keene Valley, spent the night and skiied at Whiteface.  There is almost no natural snow on the ground!  Interesting because it's only about 30 miles north of Newcomb where they have tons of snow.  And from Whiteface you can see Camel's Hump and Mt. Mansfield where they have been getting tremendous snow over the past week.

Ripping snow here for the last 2 hours.  WTF x 2.  

Very interesting day, almost like a summertime convective situation where daytime heating increases low level lapse rates with cold air aloft. Here in Oswego, it's pretty quiet with the cooler onshore flow keeping us at 39F.

You can see the impressive low-level lapse rates from the SPC mesoanalysis.

post-869-0-19091000-1364411024_thumb.gif

Archived