• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Spring 2013

heavy_wx

Oh that's right, there's you and Mt. Duaneburg too.  I almost got the wife to bite on a new place in Mariaville, but no such luck.  Oh well, I was pleasantly surprised at getting over 5" today.  With this being another winter where we've been on the fringe, I'll take it.

Can't speak for Albany County, but here in Western Schenectady County at around 1400 feet I've gotten a bit over 6 inches and it goes over to snow any time the intensity picks up (like now).

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't speak for Albany County, but here in Western Schenectady County at around 1400 feet I've gotten a bit over 6 inches and it goes over to snow any time the intensity picks up (like now).

Great report.  Thanks.  That's what I figured.  Might have to head up that way to investigate.

True enough. The late start to the snow season has me a little disoriented.

Actually was about a half inch at north campus, but light wet snow continues to fall.

Had another wet coating here last night which melted by mid morning. Definitely feeling like the end of winter with much of our snow pack gone and 37 degrees.

I had a very unique experience on the slopes last night.  I headed down to Bristol Mountain with the hopes that a little elevation would be all that was needed for some fresh tracks on new snow.  The entire drive down it was raining lightly, and even in the parking lot at the base of the hill it was raining.  However, I jumped on the lift and about 200 feet up the hill, it quickly changed to snow, and by the time I got to the summit, it was snowing heavily!  This continued all night with light rain at the very base and heavy snow at the top, all of this over an elevation change of 1200 feet!  Absolutley awesome to experience this little micro-climate in WNY. 

Anyway, the low-land rain scared away most everyone, so I had virtually the entire mountain to myself and amazing fresh snow for 3/4 of the mountain.  Best night of the year. 

It's a day late and a dollar short.  :)   But here at1k feet the stuff turned to a soup of light rain/wet snow after around 11 AM and when it got heavier in the afternoon the best we could manage was the wettest of snow...so accumulation was finished at 7 inches.  Very possibly they got more in the really elevated Helderbergs such as parts of southern Berne and Rensselaerville where humans live at 1700 to 2100 feet.

About 4 inches of yesterday's snow left ....although in the woods and shaded areas there was maybe 2-5 inches of pre-existing old snow.

Looks like pretty heavy upslope enhanced precip in western ALB county.  Anybody know if there is any snow mixed in there or all rain now.  I see most mesonet obs are mid 30s or higher even in elevated terrain around the NE, but I suppose dynamics could locally cool the column.  Any reports? 

Picked up 0.7″ of snow overnight bringing my seasonal total to 62.9″ here. Heres a breakdown by month of my stats here in OP.

October 2012 – QPF: 8.04″ Snow: 0.0″

November 2012 – QPF: 2.08″ Snow: 3.4″

December 2012 – QPF: 3.98″ Snow: 23.8″

January 2013 – QPF: 2.54″ Snow: 15.1″

February 2013 – QPF: 2.98″ Snow 19.9″

March 2013 (as of 9am today) – QPF: 0.08″ Snow 0.7″

Total QPF: 19.70″ Total Snow: 62.9″

I had a very unique experience on the slopes last night.  I headed down to Bristol Mountain with the hopes that a little elevation would be all that was needed for some fresh tracks on new snow.  The entire drive down it was raining lightly, and even in the parking lot at the base of the hill it was raining.  However, I jumped on the lift and about 200 feet up the hill, it quickly changed to snow, and by the time I got to the summit, it was snowing heavily!  This continued all night with light rain at the very base and heavy snow at the top, all of this over an elevation change of 1200 feet!  Absolutley awesome to experience this little micro-climate in WNY. 

Anyway, the low-land rain scared away most everyone, so I had virtually the entire mountain to myself and amazing fresh snow for 3/4 of the mountain.  Best night of the year. 

I've had an experience like that at Bristol many years ago...soaking wet at the base, but heavy snow from mid-way up. Me and my buddies stayed on the top half the whole night with all sorts of new snow. Very fun!

Lately It has been all about elevation.

As many of you are sitting with green/mud/water,  i have been snowblowing the driveway at least

every other day for the past week. Nuisance stuff for sure, but, I have been in winter mode for

a couple weeks.  I am no pro spotter, but yesterday and wednesday alone i bet i plowed

the driveway with 3-4 inches each nite after work, and that's after a day of settling.  Wet sticky snow

that turns to cement once it gets moved and compacted.

Oh, and the plow driver cleaned my mailbox off it's pole yesterday. :cry:

IMG_20130228_171054_5311_zpsc3facf9b.jpg

Light snow right now which has been going on and off throughout much of the day here. Looks to be much of the same for at least the next few days, though I'm not sure we'll get much of an accumulation here. Areas farther southeast of Lake Ontario may see a couple inches as the flow becomes more northwesterly. There will be a bit of a diurnal contrast in precipitation intensity as the sun angle continues to increase.

A surprise 3.1" of fluff fell overnight. In fact its still snowing now. Nice little event that was not forecast at all.

Yeah we got a few inches here to, was out at a friends house last night in Strykersville last night and they had like 6-7 inches on the ground and was snowing all night. Looks like a nice streamer from Huron is parked around the airport right now. A chilly 22 degrees out right now.

Yeah we got a few inches here to, was out at a friends house last night in Strykersville last night and they had like 6-7 inches on the ground and was snowing all night. Looks like a nice streamer from Huron is parked around the airport right now. A chilly 22 degrees out right now.

got about 4.5" on the ground here which for the beginning of March is good IMO especally this winter. Im just being clipped by the southern edge of that Huron streamer with light snow falling here.

Picked uo a little more than a fresh inch tonight, and close to 6" on the ground and still a couple flurries in the air. BuffaloWeather is certainly correct as this is one of the most wintry feeling time periods (past several days) weve had all year. If anyone thinks my 6" snowdepth is impressive head to Springville just 20 minutes to my south where theres easily 14" on the ground and snowpiles over my head all over.

I just took sort of a cool picture that shows the effect of the sun angle on snow in Buffalo at this time of year. I took this at 1230 hrs facing SSE. The black railing is absorbing energy and casting a "shadow," despite an overcast sky, evident in the snow melt pattern. Sun azimuth at Buffalo at 1230 on 4 March per the USNO Sun Altitude/Azimuth Calcutor is 181 degrees, sun altitude is 40.9 degrees

sun%20angle%2020130304.JPG

I just took sort of a cool picture that shows the effect of the sun angle on snow in Buffalo at this time of year. I took this at 1230 hrs facing SSE. The black railing is absorbing energy and casting a "shadow," despite an overcast sky, evident in the snow melt pattern. Sun azimuth at Buffalo at 1230 on 4 March per the USNO Sun Altitude/Azimuth Calcutor is 181 degrees, sun altitude is 40.9 degrees

Wow, awesome photo!

Wow awesome picture! Figures storm last week goes to far northwest and this weeks storm goes to far south. I am officially ready for Spring and warmth!! Bring it on!

Archived