joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Spring 2013

heavy_wx

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that looks like the best spot in WNY in terms of getting any decent accumulation going.

If I was going to chase this event in WNY, the only place I'd go would be the top of Bristol Mountain (which has an access road, I might add).  2200 feet at the top and they usually kill it in these events.

That said, with each run trending warmer....this could bust everywhere.

Changing up my plans based on latest models and WIVB hi res models showing the heaviest snow from Warsaw to Mt Morris here in WNY. Will be heading directly that way tomorrow night instead of Ellicottville. Will try to gets pics and vids.

Not sure this one is worth chasing anywhere in WNY at this point, unless you have a sturdy umbrella.

If anyone is so hard up for snow they want to drive to see more, maybe crossing the border and driving an hour up the QEW is the way to go. I bet the escarpment above Hamilton isn't much further than Mt. Morris, but will get a lot more snow.

Yeah I don't really think anyone is going to be the winner out of this in terms of snow. But we are the winners right now, 40 degrees and sunny feels great! ^_^

It's relative, dude.  I think they can manage 6" over the next 36 to 48 hours.  I'd guess about an inch for BUF on the front end...followed by 2-4" from Wednesday morning through Wednesday night.

it's pretty chilly through Wednesday and Wednesday with light to moderate snows....so that's when we will do our best.  Areas near Lake Ontario should pick up about 3" overnight...then more on Wednesday/Wed night.  Near Toronto will be the winner.

12z RGEM shows a swath of 10-12" from buf to toronto,i'm not sure if i can post wxbell maps here..

It's relative, dude.  I think they can manage 6" over the next 36 to 48 hours.  I'd guess about an inch for BUF on the front end...followed by 2-4" from Wednesday morning through Wednesday night.

Those were my exact calls for this as well. Although I think not much will accumulate on pavement on Weds due to diurnal affects and low rates. I can see us hitting those amounts on grassy surfaces.

Took a ride this morning to Warsaw Mt Morris than went to the Corning Museum of Glass. Was a nice ride with sunny skies. Car thermometer got up to 48 at one point. Decided to ditch the plans to go there tonight and may head toward Warsaw tomorrow after work. This storm just seems like too much of a dud to really chase far.

Took a ride this morning to Warsaw Mt Morris than went to the Corning Museum of Glass. Was a nice ride with sunny skies. Car thermometer got up to 48 at one point. Decided to ditch the plans to go there tonight and may head toward Warsaw tomorrow after work. This storm just seems like too much of a dud to really chase far.

you were better off going to toronto the whle time ;)

Ugh, stop looking at colorful looking maps to determine accumulations...  ^_^

Oh no... don't let him be like the weenies that from the weather forums that I used to frequent when I lived in the south (NOT AmericanWX)... those guys would ignore all guidance and common sense, and instead download the clown maps, and put the images in photoshop and zoom down to the pixel level to see if their back yards were in the 1" or the 2" color bands. (They would get more than flurries about once every three years.)

You bet I want to see one more good storm before this winter ends, but an outlier model isn't gonna make it snow.

Yeah I told him that the whole time, but he doesn't have enhanced license or passport. =/  I honestly think even Toronto within 10-15 miles of Ontario might not do well either, I am thinking 20-30 miles northwest of Toronto is jackpot for this.

Something to work on over the summer, right? Get to chase on 2X as much turf, AND he'll be able to hang out in Clifton Hill.

Wellsville is sitting at 34F with a dewpoint of 22.....Definitely some evaparational cooling potential as that ridiculous precip field moves in.. (NWS has them starting as rain)

A strange and fascinating storm for sure.  It'll be interesting to see how certain locations play out in this one.

Wellsville is sitting at 34F with a dewpoint of 22.....Definitely some evaparational cooling potential as that ridiculous precip field moves in.. (NWS has them starting as rain)

A strange and fascinating storm for sure.  It'll be interesting to see how certain locations play out in this one.

Springville just dropped from 36 to 32.9 in the last 15 minutes with a dewpoint of 29. Going to be a close call!

kbgm

700 PM...LDG EDGE OF PCPN NOW MVG THRU THE FCST AREA. GND RPTS ARE
OF MIXED PCPN TURINNG TO SNOW AS IT MVES IN. STILL A VERY HIGH LVL
OF UNCERTAINTY THIS EVE AS THE 18Z RUNS CONTD TO FLIP FLOP ON
SUBTLE TEMP DFRNCS WHICH WILL MAKE ALL THE DFRNC IN THE WORLD WITH
PTYPE. FEELING NOW IS THAT WE WILL GET A THREE HR BURST OF MAINLY
SNOW...WHICH MAY BE HEAVY...FLWD BY LGTR PCPN WHICH MAY BE MORE
MIXED AS WE LOSE THE LIFT IN THE ICE CRYSTAL ZONE. CNRT UPDATE
ADJUSTED TEMPS AND TIMING OF PCPN...ALONG WITH PTYPE TO SIMPLFY
THE BEGINNING OF THE EVENT.

Been snowing hard here (15 minutes south of Ithaca...1600 ft. elevation) for the past 30 minutes.  Only 33 or 34 degrees but it's most definitely sticking!  Wonder if this will keep up?   Correction...as I type this the clattering sound of freezing rain is pelting on the deck!

Oh no... don't let him be like the weenies that from the weather forums that I used to frequent when I lived in the south (NOT AmericanWX)... those guys would ignore all guidance and common sense, and instead download the clown maps, and put the images in photoshop and zoom down to the pixel level to see if their back yards were in the 1" or the 2" color bands. (They would get more than flurries about once every three years.)

You bet I want to see one more good storm before this winter ends, but an outlier model isn't gonna make it snow.

Something to work on over the summer, right? Get to chase on 2X as much turf, AND he'll be able to hang out in Clifton Hill.

The funny thing is that i knew that model was out to lunch with those accumulations,but still posted it i blame mY WEENIE SIDE! :lmao:

Archived