joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Spring 2013

heavy_wx

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cells popping in W NY/PA....could get pretty nasty....Surface based CAPE increasing....

Uh huh....

ULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

439 PM EDT FRI MAY 10 2013

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

NORTHERN CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY IN WESTERN NEW YORK...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF FREDONIA...

* UNTIL 515 PM EDT

* AT 435 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 3 MILES SOUTH OF

WESTFIELD...OR 17 MILES SOUTHWEST OF FREDONIA...MOVING NORTHEAST AT

35 MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO

SILVER CREEK

Getting on and off light rain and graupel. Should see some actual flakes tonight with deepening CAA with perhaps a bit of lake effect snow. With the lake being 10C and 850s dropping as low as -7 to -8C it could get interesting. May take a drive tonight to the higher elevations (1600ft plus) near Springville if things play out right.

small hail/graupel over in the west side at about 930am.

Big limb just fell in the yard 2 houses over in West Seneca.

some pretty good stuff popping in Niagara county and over the lake slowly drifting south. Think well see slot of graupel with that. Thinking the higher elevations tonight will see a nice coating on the grass. Pretty crazy for the middle of May.

Was in Toronto for the weekend and got a glimpse of the news there and reported 15-20 cms of snow northwest of the city. Not sure how far northwest however. We had heavy grapel off and on from our trip back with the road being completely covered for a bit there. Also waiting to cross the border there was extremely heavy graupel on the US side of the bridge. Pretty insane weather day for sure! Lots of heavy wind to.

Flurries here in northern Catskills!  Very light...but what turnaround from cold drizzle this morning to a sunny afternoon.  It's 36 IMBY.

Missed that last night, but flurries (or graupel - didn't look close) just rolled through at noon.  NWS lowered their forcast high for today to 45.  Bottomed at 34° last night and didn't see any signs of frost but expect plenty of it tonight.

Well, it's definately snow now.  Very light flurries, but it is snowing.

A bit of fail for the most part, nice storms over Orleans County, though.  I am pretty disappointed in the SREFs.  Even though this is an elevated instability situation, moisture below the Elevated Mixed Layer cap was severely overestimated. Last night's SREF's had 3000 MUCAPE over Michigan but in reality, on the mesoanalysis, it was only 500-1000 j/kg.  

Winds were insane earlier, absolutley ripping. They have since calmed down a bit but the strong winds caused small branches down all over the place in the middle of the roads (OP Road/N Buffalo rd had quite a few and a large tree branch about 20-25 feet long and 4 inches thick in diameter just fell in my apartment complex luckily no one was injured. I measured a gust of 59mph on my lacrosse handheld anemometer.

Ya some pretty decent winds earlier. 45-50 mph sustained. Still nice to get a rebound in temperatures finally! =)

Winds were insane earlier, absolutley ripping. They have since calmed down a bit but the strong winds caused small branches down all over the place in the middle of the roads (OP Road/N Buffalo rd had quite a few and a large tree branch about 20-25 feet long and 4 inches thick in diameter just fell in my apartment complex luckily no one was injured. I measured a gust of 59mph on my lacrosse handheld anemometer.

Severe Thunderstorm Watch

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 212

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

340 PM EDT WED MAY 22 2013

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 212 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1100 PM EDT

FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

NYC003-007-009-011-013-015-017-023-025-045-049-051-053-055-065-

067-069-075-077-097-099-101-105-107-109-117-121-123-230300-

/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0212.130522T1940Z-130523T0300Z/

NY

. NEW YORK COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ALLEGANY BROOME CATTARAUGUS